panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

Gary,

Mate, I'm not way off I have stitched many photo's using my Sigma 8 mm fisheye. If I was "Way Off" then my panorama's wouldn't stitch perfectly now would they?

If that is how you repay someone for trying to help you out. Just straight up saying "I'm way off"! I don't know why I bothered?

Lets see your example of a finished stitched panorama in a viewer, based on your new improved nodal point then.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

Hey, I'm just reporting what I was told by the lens manufacturer.  But, so far I have not been able to do anything using what they suggest either.  I do appreciate your help, trust me.  You have no idea how frustrating this is.

Now I received an e-mail from support at Panoweaver saying there is a program defect and they want some sample images from me, which I will provide today.  Maybe once they correct the bug with the software I can try again.

I didn't mean to suggest that your help was not appreciated, far from anything like that.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

Gary,

If there is a problem with the software then fair enough! But by saying "I'm way off " in a broad statement is to paint a picture to other readers of this forum that the information I post is questionable. That's not to say I'm always right, but the information I post is from my own personal experience and what I believe to be correct from the successes I have had.

All I ever was trying to do is help out.

I'm still of the belief that of both sets of images you posted for download, neither set was close to the correct nodal point.

I still look forward to seeing the results of a "successful" panorama made with a Canon 1Ds and Panoweaver no matter how long away that may be.

Oh! and where the "correct" nodal point ends up being

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

One would think that the lens manufacturer would know where the nodal point is, but anything is possible.  You are saying it's at the front end and they claim it is near the rear.  I'll let you know as soon as I sort it out, if I ever do!

Again, thanks for your assistance, it is truly appreciated.  Any commments I made were based on the information provided to me directly by Sigma.

I will keep you apprised of developments.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

Well I suspect both are correct.  For any lens, there actually are 2 or more nodal points.  There is a back and front nodal point.  There are mini-millimeter nodal points as we talk about other light entering the lens say from 45 or 60 degrees off axis.  Too small a variation to discuss.  Without getting too technical, I suspect we are only discussing image light that passes through the front nodal point on center line axis.

For stitching we use the front nodal point.  

I have read in other forums that manufacturers hold closely such nodal points distances because it usually relates to lens optic design patents.

If the the nodal point is unknown, I would think that using the Kaidan nodal point procedure is good.  For manually locating the point you may also look at this page (scroll to bottom):

http://360texas.com/tips/nodalpts.htm

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-15

I just stumbled upond this page and tutorial on stitching using a Canon D60 and Sigma 8 mm Fisheye lens.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/360tute.htm

[qoute]To avoid parallax, it is highly desirable to mount the camera on a tripod such that the camera rotates about the entrance pupil of the lens (often erroneously called the nodal point).  This seems to be aligned with the bronze band around the barrel of the lens mount.  (The entrance pupil actually moves about according to the angle of incidence of the light rays, so it's best to assure no parallax where the images overlap rather than in the centre of the lens).[/quote]

Just so you don't think I peeing into the wind.

May or may not be relevent to the Canon 1Ds with Sigma lens as far as the nodal point is concerned.

Still it will be useful to those using a 10D or Rebel/Kiss/300D

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-16

Smooth,

So far everything I've read (except for Sigma's tech support) indicates you're correct.  As soon as the Panoweaver software is modified I will see how panos come out, but until then I'm in a holding pattern.

I have no idea why Sigma thinks the nodal point is at a different place than the people in the field have found, but I guess that's not very important at this point.

Again, thanks for your input!

Gary

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-16

yo... Smoothie... baby...

feeling a bit ruffled are we  I didn't read gary's remarks as a slight to u our your comments. We all know that ur comments are well thought through and ur assistance is always welcome. We love u bro... one big happy slap backy family here... (just remind me to phrase my feedback to u in a careing sharing manner before vengeful wrath comes my way...tee hee)

Gary... saw ur querie on panotools... seems that the guys there are also useing the ring as nodalpoint despite the "floating 90deg off axis" element.

Vindication for the smoothsayer... yii haaaa also goes to show that the users always know more then the producers... ho hum... tried 'n tested... now that's what I like.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-16

To be polite and to put a little thought into a reply is not asking a lot if the comment can be taken out of context. 'tis all I was pointing out!

Gary cleared things up and I continued to offer advise (good or bad?)

I could just as easily removed my posts or adjusted them to look "all fluffy 'n' clean" but that would be UN-Australian now wouldn't it?

You know I must take comments as Canon (Pun!) fodder as I seem to get shot down from time to time. But at least my comments are on topic and answered to the best of my ability.

There are already enough suckers and licker's around who don't have the balls to speak up when they are wronged.

As they say! The proof is in the pudding.

Sorry for having a personality!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-16
Thats what we so enjoy... the fact that u have a personality... lick lick slobber
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.