panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-22

What am I doing wrong?

I took these shots last night in dimly lit cafe in Budapest.  I am just not happy with the results.  I am using a CP 5400, EC-9 fish-eye, kaidan head with tilt-leveler. These were my second attempt, an earlier version can be seen at http://tmh.netdbs.com/atsa/coffee_hu_360.html

I varied my settings from P to A to M and used various exposures settings, apt. and speed settings, but I just can't seem to get the "perfect" shot.  If you would evaluate the above pan and below listed panoramas, I would appreciate it.  The files listed below are the unedited and original images, does file size play a role in end-result?  Please advise.

http://tmh.netdbs.com/dscn5969.jpg

http://tmh.netdbs.com/dscn5970.jpg

http://tmh.netdbs.com/dscn5971.jpg

T. Hall
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

Hey Phoenix,

I like your panohead. I too have attempted using similiar brackets to construct my own. The only problem I encountered was, how do you create the 3 click stops like the kaidan heads?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-27

Hi Dave, VT360...

Dave... I always use fine setting on my CP990... no point otherwise. But I was asked what x,y,r I use when zooming in. OBVIOUSLY... that depends on the first pano of a set, as my camera doesn't have an automatic zoom in until the image touches the sides setting.

VT360... I don't need a 3 click. My tripod has a 360 degree scale on the base. I just turn in the desired 120, 240, 360deg direction and shoot. It doesn't matter if I'm slightly off as I have approx 140 deg in the horizontal and therefore plenty of overlap. Easypanos stiching software tends to be fairly able to adjust for minor inconsistancies... though I may have to do a bit of manuel tweeking.

I've also got a spirit level... one with two planes, also from the building store. I just glued a couple of lengths of plastic to the base of the spirtit level and just place it on top of my CP990 to ensure the cam is level. My tripod also has a bubble spirit level fitted to ensure the tripod is level.

Here's the bathroom. I'll post the tour later.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-27

Thanks for the info Rob.

Someone was doing some panorama reading on the toilet

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-27

Here's a link to the tour... including the bathroom. Total size of tour 9x panos + intro page + groundmap (called Grundriss in German. Top left u'll find a drop down menu) Compressed the tour down to 1 MB in total... http://www.einfoto.de/einfoto/data/pano/jastrau/start.htm

Took an hour and a half to take pics, and about an hour per pano including all linking, stiching, setting in a tour, PS work which included window blow out issues and other layer work (also note my first attempt at repairing the ceiling and removing the tripod... and that with tiled floors) I even layered in another set of stairs... which was a bugger of a job. Had I just added tripod caps and not bothered with some layer and window work... I'd have saved at least 20-30mins a pano.

Not totally satisfied with the results... am still fiddling with sharpening/loading times/compression factors. (I unsharp masked all at 65% and also sharpened edges)

Regards Rob

Tools used: CP990, FC-E8, Panoweaver for stiching, PanoExpress for Tour work, Photo Shop 7 for the fiddly bits.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-28

Hi Rob,

Nice tour buddy, good to see Panorama Express getting a good work out and showing off some of the inbuilt features. I got a true feeling for the house and it's layout. It will look even better when displayed with the new version of Panorama Express comes out! Especially when we can design our own skins. Very well done.

I did get sick of the spin entry though! (into each panorama) normally this type of entry is to promote the business offering the tours (thus showing the "Brand Name" on the floor cap). I don't really see the point it your have gone to the trouble of removing the tripod altogether? All we see first is a spinning floor? Anyway it's only my opinion, nothing more, nothing less! Others may enjoy the ride

Great effort, look forward to seeing more.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-28
Good point about the spin entry... I'll remove that element...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-28

Hey phoenixrising,

I am trying to increase the quality of my pano's and I am trying to use your method for taking the pics.  I noticed that you have a very sharp edge on your zoomed sphere, when I zoom I have a soft edge and it really messes up the stitching process.  How are you able to get that nice sharp edge on your zoomed sphere?

My setup CP 5000, FE-8 FishEye lens, Quick Tilt Lever, Kaidan QuickPan 3 CS, easypano 3.1, and Paint Shop Pro for graphics work

http://360viewpix.com/images/soft_edges.jpg

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-29

Well I also encounter some softening at the edges. This is lens specific. This is also the reason why I take shots the way here mentioned. My best advice is to ensure that the radius is within the image... a few pixels away from the black edges. Don't forget that u have 183 deg in the vertical... so u can use that space.

Mind u... I don't suffer as much distortion as u seem to. Maybe it has something to do with the cam/lens combo... any one else have this problem?????

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-30

Hi,
yes i got this problem too. When i zoom in, it will blur my edges and so i got much probs with PW for radius adjustment. I got Coolpix 995, FC-E8.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-02-01

Wow! This post has helped me more than the many hours I spent messin' around with my camera. Thanks folks for sharing your knowledge. I too have a CP 5400 w/FC-E9. My images are rarely crisp & clear and what Smooth said early on is a little disheartening, but I took the advise of Pheonixrising and set my aperature to 7.0 then adjusted exposure accordingly. Also I set the lens setting to normal and zoomed in to fill up the frame. HUGE difference! Thanx so much. Also, I use a panhead I purchased from a co. called Jasper Engineering out of California for about $200.00 which is alot more cost effective than the twin-axis config from Kaidan for the 5400. I have address and phone if anyone is interested. Thanx again, and if anyone else has any suggestions for improving panos from this rig that would be awesome!