panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-22
Hello, you are a wealth of information, and thank you. I have a hard time imagining my camera in a sideways position (horizontal).  My camera only mounts onto my kaidan head one way, that is vertical.  Also, you say don't chose fe 1 or 2 (the 5400 only has f1 by the way), but there is not a "M" selection for lens type if I am not mistaken, only for the mode you wish to shoot in.  When you say select "M" instead, I assume you are meaning to set the lens setting to normal and then zoom in.  As for depressing the M-focus button, I would think you mean to set the focus to "Mountains" yes, which is the same as infinity.  This it tricky stuff I'll tell you. Thanks so much, you helped me a lot. Tom
T. Hall
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-22

Sorry Tom....

I'm going mad... vertical is the way to be... don't quite know what came to my mind then. I guess I was in a bit of a rush...

FE 1 & 2, are two lens selection modes on the CP990. These will set the camera (zoom out/mountain) automatically. I never had much success (due to softness of image) with this.

M, means set to manuel... and yes set lens setting to normal. Then zoom in so that the top and bottom touch the screen (for 990 & FC-E8 = 183 vertical and approx 140 deg horizontal) This way I have over 2000 pixels in the vertical and use more of my chip= more image=more detail.

compared to FE1

When in M, I set aperture to 7.0, which is as far as it'll go and then set the shutter speed. Toggling the mode button will allow you to change aperture or speed accordingly. I love the light meter thats built in, which gives me pretty good control of exposure.

Focus... well if you depress the mountains button and then turn on the wheel, you'll be able to manuelly focus at any distance, from a few cm to INF. This is the setting I use.

I hope I'm a bit clearer now... teehee...

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-23

Good on you Robert,

That saved me from explaining it and not to mention the typing.

As you were first to post this information it only seemed fair to point to your original post.

Hopefully everybody is learning a little more on how to extract the most out of their Nikon Coolpix.

Good on ya mate!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-23

Hi Smoothy...

no worries mate... that's what the forum is here for... a happy careing shareing group of panoramic photographers... and in this world there's nothing quite as satisfying as getting your workflow down pat and then creating good, quick and usable pano's. Btw... I liked ur first DSLR experiment shots... saw it on ur flipsforum.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-23

Sounds like good advice from where I sit...

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-24

So if you shoot by zooming in and you're using a Kaidan CD head, where do you position the camera in the slot? It's obviously only marked F1, F2 etc

I tried this once when I first heard it last year, but it didn't work too well, I think for that reason....

Neill W

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

I tried it too, to zoom in, without a luck. I thought, when i zoom in it will change the nodalpoint. Isn't it?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

The nodal point is the relationship between the lens and the tripod rotational point axis.  Proper alignment of these two points minimizes the parallax.

Typically,  on the Nikon 9xx and 5xxx series cameras Fisheye 1 (fL 8mm)or Fisheye 2 (fL16mm), Wide Angle (fL 24mm) automatically presets the focal length or the distance between the front of the lens to X.x millimeter effective 35mm and the camera CCD recording chip (film plane).

While using the fisheye lens or wide angle lens and the camera lens type set to normal lens allows these lens adapters while zooming in or out to be a varaible focal length.

So each of your panorama image frame must be set exact the same fL focal lenth setting.  This becomes difficult when the camera is set for automatic focusing, and the zoom stepper motor is chattering away attempting to focus on your target.  One way to verify the focal length each frames focal length is to take your image series.. then review the EXIF data file.  Nikon calls this its INFO.TXT file which maintains a record of focal length, date and time, and several other bits of information about each image.

Using the cameras Lens type preset focal length helps promote successful stitching results.

Hope this clarifies the more important segments of taking your images.

/s/

Dave [happy birthday dave(61) 25January 2004.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

I understand that part, but how d'you find the new nodal point once you've got a zoom setting you're happy with? Using a Kaidan CS with Coolpix 4500 etc

BTW, Happy birthday, Dave and also - -  Happy birthday Neill too! 23rd Jan - but only 39! :-)

Neill W

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

As I mentioned the nodal point only refers to the physical relationship between a point location on lens and the tripod rotation point.  A simple test shown on our Nodal Point test page will help you figure that part.  Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the test description.  Yes the lens is rotated right and left but also note that the domed fisheye glass end and the has not moved ahead or behind pan head rotation location. 

http://360texas.com/tips/nodalpts.htm

Once the NP has been determined for the actual exterior lens fixed postion,  then the zoom in/out factor only relates to the Focal Length of each image.

The focusing length is defined as the distance between the fixed outer end of the glass back to the CCD.  If you zoom, you are moving the internal optics froward and back to get different degrees of zoom image magnification while the actual lens is not moving. You have not changed the lens nodal point, but rather are only altering the way light is passed through the optics.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com