panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

That's what I thought, but why are there two points on the Kaidan head for F1 and F2 when using a fisheye?

Rather than ponder on it, I'll be out this week shooting some to work it out....

Cheers,

Neill W

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-25

also might want to set your initial fov at 90, this will lessen the focus on the image comression close up,
also try applying unsharp mask in ps7 to crisp up the image a bit.
 I had a quick couple of minutes play with your images

My Link
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

I also had a little play with the images posted but the camera was not set up correctly as evident with vrboy's stitch.

I also applied some sharpening using ultrasharpen and this improved the final shot no end.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

Hmm just looking at the above image, I can tell right away that the nodal point is not set properly.  Notice upper decorative ceiling and lower floor tile parts of the image. 

When viewing this image in the viewer you would see that the tripod pan head would appear to be a 3 toothed rotatary saw blade. When you tilt down you should see 1 full even circle.  The ceiling would not come together well at all.

Other than that.. the location appears to be a great setup test area. Lots of busy stuff in the top and bottom of the image.

The Kaidan marks for FE 1 and 2 are there because they believe that there is a 3 or 4 millimeter difference between full circle and full frame image types.  I would rather perform a bench test for the nodal point as it applies to my camera/lens and pan head. But then thats only my thinking.

But then you knew this.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

It would seem that the correct nodal point was found eventually because the stitching is a lot better in the actual sample panorama offered in the original post. But the three images for download where not the same three that made the sample panorama.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

I don't use a Kaiden head...

This was my first rig... I built this to test pano shots prior to buying a Kaiden or similar head. I've never bothered as this works perfectly well. The bottom plate has a length cut out... aloowing forward backwards movement. The L plate is at 90deg. The camera is in the vertical and I can even move it around it's axis somewhat which acts as a leveling for minor floor inconsistancies.

As far as the nodal point is concerned... with my cp990/fc-e8 combo I ensure that the ring around the lens is at the turning point of my tripod. The screw head is at the nodal point of the tripod. I just hung a string with a weight around the ring and let it dangle to the screw head. It works fine.

I was asked what x,y and radius I use prior to stiching.

Doing a series, I zoom in once so that top and bottom of image nearly touch the edge of LCD viewer of cam. I take all the following shots with the same zoom. Therefore I just have to adjust my x,y,r once so that the circle its just inside the black outer. Don't worry if ur have few pixels of image around the white ring... the lens has 183deg so there's enough image for stiching and overlap at top and bottom. x tends to be around the 735, y approx 993 and radius between 960-995... depending on zoom.

I hope this is of use.

PS: Dave, Neil... Happy Burpday guys... cheers from Germany ;-)

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-01-26

Hey .. your apparatus is really cool.  AND it works too.  The dimensions for x, y depend on what camera resolution you are using.  Like XGA FINE  1024 x 768 ?  or VGA.  I am not sure anyone would use those res's but the dimensions shown in your screen capture probably would not work very well.  But then you already knew this.

At first, I thought your location was rather odd  'the Lew?' but then reconsidered.. it is an excellent location for testing panoramas - very small room, lots of floor and wall tiles.  Excellent location --  AS LONG AS --

Someone else needs to some testing too... then its embarassing !

LOLLLL

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com