panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-06

Stichting & nodal point err -Please help

Hello, I have been reading alot on the forum and thought I would get it right..No!t.. the pano's I try don't seem to stich right, I'm going nuts about it. it seems so very clear in all descriptions on the forum.....I would appriciate some help, if anybody could point me in the right direction, it would be great!

Looking at the (horrible) pictures below, I wonder:

1. is it the nodal point (I'm using a cp990, FC-E8, and a Kaidan QuickPan CS)? See phots below

2. I take 3 pics, put the in ps and rotate, crop, and save as a 24bit bmp file.

3. import in panoweaver and do the auto stich...(FOV 183-192;Yaw -1.5-1.5;Pitch 0-0.5;Roll -1-1)

...the result is very messy...I'm totally lost ...

many thanks!

floris

The 3 original pictures can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~nldirkz1/Forum/pano/

many thanks again!

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-03-06

Your nodal point is not even close.

You have not followed the tutorial using the batteries correctly.

I would suggest you go back and read more about setting up your nodal point correctly.

You say you are using Kaidan QuickPan CS, that being the case it is very hard to get it wrong? Line the rounded edge of the CS bracket with the Fisheye one mark and set the camera to F1 Lens. Should be perfect! or very, very close.

Better still, take a picture of your camera in the CS bracket in the position you believe corret and post it here for me to look at!

Post your next results so we can see. (Reduce the size a little too please for forum display)

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

hi Smooth, comments much appriciated. I was actually under the impression that the nodal point is ok in the above pictures. The cap of the bottom batteries remains aligned in the center of the top batteries. I did read that 1 pair of batteries was OK. I have done as suggested readjusted the nodal point on basis of 4 batteries. I started by putting following the quickpan III bracket back in its orginal position I will post a photo of my camara. Below the new nodal points. Again looking at the caps of the batteries in the front, they remain aligned in the center of the top batteries, when the camera turns left and right. So, I presume the correct nodal point, or not?

your help is very much appricaited

kind regads,

floris

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Hi Smooth, this is the setup which is in front of the table you see above with the 4 batteries :)

regs,floris

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Hi,

I would really like to help you out, but the camera Panohead shot is not clear or close enough to see properly!

Also your cap shot aren't of much use either as your camera is too high. I need to see the back set of batteries hidden behind the first set with only the cap (top/tip) showing. Your  Panohead differs slightly to mine as I use a CP4500 and it has a CS cradle that slides in the slot of the Panohead. (I cannot see this in your photo?) Maybe your model does not have this?

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Smooth, thanks, will make some more clearer shots right now of the pano head and new shots of the batteries and post them, tia,

floris

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Smooth, thanks for putting me on the right track.

Here is a new set of "batteries". better? 

I will post the manual tomorrow of the camera mounting cradle and make some new shots of it when I get the other digital camera back.

thanks again

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Wel here is another one

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

I thought it should be OK to stich so I did 2:

the first one was set with FE1. Which was loaded directly in to panoweaver without any adjustments in ps. It can out so-so (I think there is still parallex). . the second one was done with a normal lens setting/INF/ Zoom abit: It came out all wrong(again no work done upfront in ps, loaded directly in panoweaver):

The images for both pics are located here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~nldirkz1/Forum/stich1/

http://www.xs4all.nl/~nldirkz1/Forum/stich2/

I'm still at loss if this is still my nodal point (which I think improved with smooths comments -thanks) or something else. I hope I'm not missing something silly or so.

all comments and help very welcome

thanks

floris

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Hi,  still in Mexico,  but I thought I would clarify the nodal point issue using Floris's single battery examples. 

In my example I used Fisheye 2 mode for testing.

Floris's front battery is STATIC while the Trial is the back battery. 

In this example,

the CENTER shot is properly centered with back battery over the top of the bottom battery.

LEFT : the back battery has moved slightly to the left side.

RIGHT: the back battery has moved slightly to the right side.

RIGHT MOUSE CLICK and SAVE picture to your hard drive and then open it in Photoshop or your favorite photoeditor and zoom in close to see the small left and right back battery movement.

While Floris's test indicated they are very close to the nodal point.. it is not yet on exact point and requires the camera to be moved forward or backward a few millimeters to get the nodal point location.

As a matter of interest it took me 40 some trials to find the correct point.. or as close as I was ever to find it.  I can try to divide 1 millimeter- but with my big fingers that is not humanly practical.

Knowing which way to go forward or backward is need at this point. 

For continued discussion I point to:

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tutorials/360/photo/nodal.html

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-03-07

Hi 360texas!- thanks, indeed I copied the 1 battery approach from your earlier posts- however, does then also explain Smooths comments when looking at the stiched image and commenting that it is Way Off? That is the strange thing and I agree with smooths comments that it looks way of - also see the new examples of the 4 battery approach and the stichted images.

any help is massively appriciated- I'm very much a " newby" at this

-got a sleep :) maybe tomorrow can try something new. (still thinking it may be the kaidan setup with there rotator, but then again, what ever one uses, a nodel point is a nodal point so logically the bad stiched images can not be from the actual setup) Alas - I rest my case- I will try again tomorrow... cheers& enjoy the rest of your holidays :)

floris