panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-06

PWxx - Image Type : Hor Fov. ?

Having problem with stitching, I'm looking for what could be the cause of that !

My concern :

How does PW determine the Hor Fov to be sued by stiching algorithm ?

Importing jpg files, it detect my pictures taken with my D200/Nikor Fish Eye 10.5 2.8 as "FullFrame FishEye" with a Hor Fov of 88.29 degrees !

I presume this parameter is capital for a perfect stitching, isn't it ?

Regards,
Dominique

Nikon D300s - Nikor 10.5 - (PW7 Pro + TW6 Pro) - W7 Ultim - DELL Prceision M6400 (Quad Core - 8GB - 2x160GB-SSD)
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2010-08-06

It is a good question.

The Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye has a theoretical HFOV of 87 degrees and an actual HFOV of 91.2 degrees on my Nikon D300s.

My Samyang 8mm on my Canon 10D is 101 degrees HFOV

It seems to make little difference to change the actual number.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-06

Hi Smooth,

strange, isn't it !

I'll try a stitch with 91.2 degrees ...

Regards, Dominique

Nikon D300s - Nikor 10.5 - (PW7 Pro + TW6 Pro) - W7 Ultim - DELL Prceision M6400 (Quad Core - 8GB - 2x160GB-SSD)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-07

How can we calculate this parameter ?

I noticed that pre-processing the pictures with DXO (chromatic aberation corrections, sharpness increase) modify a little bit the picture it self !
Comparing each picture corner, I can see a move of about some single pixels !

Than what about the HorFov ?  Is the 88.29 degrees still correct ?
How can I see if I need to in/decrease it ?

Dominique

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-08

Hi Georges and Smooth,

I have the same question for a long time. In fact, I never switched to PW6 and stayed with PW5 since I've never been able to find the right parameters and didnt get any answer from Easypano customer support. In PW5, it was not necessary to set this parameter and everything was ok except that almost each time I want to run this software, I have to delete the setting.dat file and to reenter all my preference smartblend parameters. If someone has a solution for this issue I welcome any idea (again support didnt help).

What I know is that with the auto mode, stitching doesn't work fine in PW6 or 7.

I use a Canon 50D (1.6x crop factor) and Sigma 8 mm which means 4 shoots for a 360 and drum fishyes selection in PW.

It would be interesting to understand how this HFOV is calculated. In PW7 auto mode, it gives a HFOV of 110.24. In this configuration, stitching doesn't occur right. In noticed that I don't get any matching point between image 3 and 4 and PW6 or 7 doesn't claim for manual settings of this matching point?

I've also noticed in PW6 that with my camera configuration, I get a dead zone on top (I do not shoot ceiling) which is normal. However, if the settings were right, this zone should appear as a square when you do a preview of the spherical image. In my case, I get a rectangle, so 2 of the initial image are stretched more than the other two which is visible in the 360 view.

It would be interesting to get an answer from the software developer on that subject and maybe get a parameter table depending on the shooting configuration (camera + lens). Something else to improve would be the matching point checking window. I should show the matching pairs as follow. 1-2  / 2-3 / 3-4 / 4-1 and not 1-2 / 2-1 / 3-2 / 4-1.

As professional user of Easypano software, I would love to use the last version, but as of today, I prefer to stay with my old version (PW5) that I understand rather than using the last version that I dont understand how it works.

I also use DXO but after stitching so it deosn't modify the original pictures before stitching.

Best regards, Laurent.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2010-08-08

Laurent,

Could you supply me with a full set of images of yours that I can test and confirm your NPP. As I'm very proficient with multiple stitching software packages I would like to see how your images fair between all. You can send me a private message if you like. Upload to your own server or use www.yousendit.com

You are also right, DXO strips the valid EXIF info required by some stitching software for "automatic" stitching which is understandable.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-08

Hi Laurent,

I see you are using SMARTBLEND in place of pwblend ??
PW7 allows it to be also used !
I tried it, but a real nightmare.  Certainly a setting problems, but what to use ??

The purpose of PW is indeed to prevent user to play with these settings and loose a big amount of time !  Time is money !

For what concerns DXO, I'll have a try for ... after stitching.
The problem being DXO can't use EXIF data anymore !

My D200 is suffering of chromatic aberations ... reason why I give it to DXO before stitching ... maybe a stupid idea !

Regards,
Dominique

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2010-08-08

Dominique,

I would enter your images into Panoweaver (before) DxO and find what settings Panoweaver sets the HFOV to. Take note of this.

Then process your images through DxO and correct Chromatic Aberration. Because the EXIF data is stripped by DxO you can manually type the HFOV into Panoweaver 7.0 from the previous notes.

Stitching will always be better with Chromatic Aberration removed as it gives a more defined clearer edge.

If you really want to, you could replace the EXIF data with EXIFTOOLS (lot of mucking about though!)

Regards, Smooth [8D]  

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-08

Hi Smooth,

I just tested PTGui Pro Beta !
Give it 2 tests, 2 that gave big errors with PW7 !  Here I get nearly the ... perfection !

Regards,
Dominique

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-09

Hi Smooth,

Thanks for the animation and image assembly you sent to me on my private messenger.

How did you remove the tripod??? I thought I had to shoot another picture down to the floor to do so. Is it done with panoweaver. If yes, I missed something!!!

Concerning the NPP, is there a recommended method to align it. I did the alignment shooting two pictures with a 90 rotation through a window and trying to get the best alignment between the window frame and an object in the garden.

Do you have a solution concerning the optimal value of the HOV I should manually set in order to get good results with my Canon EOS 50D and Sigma 8mm? Can someone from easypano make a comment?

Regards,

Laurent

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-08-09

Hi Dominique,

Smooth is for sure right, chromatic aberation might confuse the stitching process. But as you said, removing chromatic aberation might stretch the picture. Then it is a matter of time you want to spend.

Yes I use Smartblend instead of pwblend. Smartblend give realy better result with PW5. I did some test with PW6 which didn't gave such a difference.

The parameter I use in smartblend are the same that are now included in PW7. I never tried to play with them since I've got good results with them.

The big advantage of smartblend is that it remove exposure difference you might have between two shoot. the seam is realy nice after assembly.

Regards, Laurent