panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Wired Idea ?

Hi !

I dont know if this a very wired idea, but I try to put my camera on the floor (haha) pointing upwards with my 8mm fisheye lens. This way I cover the whole room. Shouldnt it be possible to create a panorama out of that one picture?

See sample picture at

http://www.photography24.com/bk/pindaya.jpg

cheers

Sven

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18
btw: I am on the picture as well :-)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Hi, Sven,

some time ago I found a software which creates a cylindrical panorama from a single fisheye image taken from the floor. I never used it seriously but tried it once and it works. Image quality of course is not very good. May be I'm wrong, but I think it is freeware.

The software is called "Fisheye Player". You can find more details and download it from their website:

www.imaysoft.com

Regards

Holger

Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Sorry, I was wrong. The FisheyePlayer is not freeware, it costs USD 99.9

Holger

Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Hi Sven,

He is your panorama

This actually turned out ok.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

I Sven.

It can be done, however when the fisheye is "unwrapped" or "re-mapped" for the correct perspective, you will not be able to see anything below lens-level, which is approx. just above your knees in the picture yu posted above. That means you will not see the ground or floor in the panorama.

There are lenses that capture FOVs greater than 180 degrees for one-shot spherical panos... in fact Coastal Optical Systems at one point was researching/prototyping an ultra-wide lens (around 300 degree FOV) for Ipix, but I'm not sure if they ever made it into production.

Lastly, you'd really need a high-res DSLR to do it justice... A one-shot pano requires all the image info of the whole scene to be crammed on the cameras image sensor, rather than dividing it up between 2 or 3 exposures. By nature, this greatly reduces the number of pixels you have to work with, which will be visible in the final pano as lack of detail and clarity.

For one-shot panos, I'd recommend a system like BeHere, etc., which captures cylindrical panos using a convex morror. You can still view them with a spherical viewer to correct the wierd geometry (looks more 3D as you pan).

It's great to experiment though, and try new things. That's the beauty of this type of photography... there's a million ways to twist and turn the process and, once in a while, we end up with something really cool and new. I love that kind of inventive spirit.

Cheers,

Brian Jackson

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Nice, Smooth!

I was still writing the previous post when you posted yours. Turned out kinda decent for a partial pano. Thanks.

Brian

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Hi Brian,

Mate, we must have been on the same wave length? LOL

I think Sven uses a Canon 1Ds "11MP" and Sigma 8 mm Fisheye, Is this correct Sven? Nice photo's on your photography24.com website by the way!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

i agree with brian. the perspective makes you feel like you're a cat looking up.

i too though about this before. the first hemi can be taken with the camera laying on the floor and shooting up. the second image i was thinking of jumping like a kangaroo (hey smooth) and placing the camera below my feet and shooting. this way i dont catch my feet in the scene.

then stitching them with panotools. this ofcourse is easier said than done.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

Hi VT360.

You're right... Jumping up really high as you snap the down-shot would destabilize the camera, and make it hard to line up (plus blurring the image in low-light situations.) For this technique to work accurately, I would suggest investing in a good pair of anti-gravity boots. You might find a decent used pair on eBay.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-18

cool ! that was a very interesting experiment. quality of result is ok. but it really looks a bit frog perspective like ;-) I wonder how they sell the fisheye prog ?

thanx

Sven (...trying to exercise the jump and shot down now, will upload the result)