panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Nodal point for Nikon 8700?

Hi all

This is a question to anyone out there using my set up: Nikon 8700 with a FC-E9 fisheye lens and a Kaidan Quick Pan III Twin Axis bracket.  I've followed the instructions on finding the nodal point (re. alignment of near and distant objects) but I'm still experiencing a bit of inaccuracy in my stiching. 

If it's not being cheeky, I'd appreciate knowing what numbers you've come up with for your Kaidan mount (left-right, forward-back).  Have a look at the following image to see my settings.

Thanks in advance - Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Hmm interesting picture.  We currently use a 990 and FC-E8.  However we too will be asking these questions when we upgrade to our new camera and lens.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

The Twin Axis should be coming to my door by today. I'll try to find where the nodal point is. Let me know if you've found a nodal point.

Do we need the QuickTilt Level? I don't know how does this work.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Tommy, you don't 'need' the quick tilt leveller, it just makes things alittle quicker.  Rather than messing around with each tripod leg, you are able to turn three dials on this attachment which allows the head to be levelled even if the tripod isn't - if you get my meaning?

Cheers - Steiner

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Steiner, just received the Twin Axis bracket. I don't know how to use the two black flats and two black triangles (90degree) that is attached to the Twin Axis bracket on the side. Can you take a picture of them so I know which to put? The manual doesn't tell me where to put them. Thanks

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Tommy

I really hope somebody at Kaidan user support is listening because I had the same confusion at the start.  The short answer is they need to go where ever it best supports your camera on a horizontal plane (in my case, 1 triangle at the top left and one at the bottom right...didn't use the flat bits at all).  I also ended up having to purchase an optional spirit level which attaches to the 8700 flash mount to get rid of the inevitable question of accuracy.  I've recently ordered an Agnos mount as well - just to compare the two.  Not sure this helps?

Steiner

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

I'm having difficult time to adjust this.  I cannot give you the right number of position. I have about 133 on silver and 61 on black. Your is like 100 on silver and 54 on black. It depends where you put the camera on the bracket.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-06-30

Guys,

Just a point on the "Tilt Leveller" (and yes I own one!) We found after discussion earlier this year that the Manfrotto #222 / Bogen #3265 ball head was far, far superior and cheaper take a look here and visit their site here One of the benefits with this unit it also has a bubble spirit level attached. This level should be used to set the correct level of the "Tripod" then using the "#222 Ball Head" adjust the camera so the level on your camera is level (Two separate levels to set) and they will be different! This is why the bubble spirit level on top of the Agnos Mrotator series is so good as it is the highest point.

As for "those" brackets for the Twin Axis they are universal and you need place then wherever they are best suited to hold your camera vertical this is very important (Must be perfectly vertical) no tilt either way.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

A big thumbs up on the 3265.  It still puzzles me that it isn't on the must list for pano developers.  It's super easy to use and adjustments are lightning fast.

r,
eagle

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

I have to say that I'll actively be speaking against Kaidan products to all of my collaborative partners.  Their product and customer support have promised the world and delivered a marble.  I'm still waiting for support on a question posted 1 week ago.  Totally unacceptable for such over priced kit.  Also, the QuickPan II CS has a crade with which to ensure an accurate level while the Quick Pan III Twin Axis doesn't.  Where's the bloody logic in this??? 

I wish I'd seen this 3265 before...perhaps it would benefit this site if it had a 'must have' section?

Licking his wounds - Steiner 

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

Hi Steiner,

Mate, a couple of points I will raise on the Kaidan products.

• The Quickpan (Camera Specific) CS III Panoheads are pretty much a no brainier to set up (Pre-worked out nodal point)
  • The Professional Twin Axis brackets are not so easy to set up. (Not even a guess at the nodal point)

It would seem after the success of the Coolpix 9XX series and the Kiwi Brackets things were all pretty easy. Then came the CP4500 and things needed to be re-thought and thus the Quickpan CS III Panoheads came along. All the while the "Manual Adjusting" Twin Axis existed for those who needed to connect a SLR camera or DSLR and was targeted at the serious professional photographer with plenty of knowledge in finding nodal points etc. Then all of a sudden the Coolpix 5000/5400/8700 came along using an ugly large adaptor and the later two a new FC-E9 Fisheye instead of the more compact CP9XX-4500 FC-E8 versions and rather then re-inventing the wheel and making a totally new bracket they have just palmed the professional "Twin Axis" bracket on to these owners without any thought to the newbies. Giving no indication to the nodal point settings. Not replying to your email is poor! No excuses there, but the point I make is that nobody there probably has the answer to your question. If they did then this could be easily added to there website FAQ's.

All that said the products of Kaidan's are of good high quality.

One last point to all newbies, it is always better to ask questions on the forums before spending your cash! It is a well beaten path and most of us are willing to help and save you from the pitfalls.

Regards, Smooth