panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

Hi Smooth

Points taken and accepted buddy, I see the logic in the progression of events you mention.  However, newbies will always be newbies so this company needs to recognise (as you have) the risks they have taken with offering an 'advanced' user product to newcomers.  The level of support documentation is nowhere near the level it needs to be.  I'd almost be willing to offer them a free Flash demo if they offered me the support I'd required! :)

Re. the forum, it's a God send and the support you offer is greatly appreciated (Kaidan should be paying you guys)!  Sadly, I worked backwards.  I bought the hardware then the software and then, discovered this forum.  I suspect this will be the route most people take - unfortunately.

All the best - Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

I think I've found almost nodal point but it is forward ahead of the tilt level (top of kaidan base rotator). When I tried to stitch together for 2 shots, the result of bottom shot is oval (rotator base) instead of full circle

I tried to move back 10cm more of nodal point so that I can include tilt level in the picture and it produced full circle. Because I followed the pictures at http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=574&ReturnPage=Search&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=3

Am I doing wrong?
1) The nodal point (no tilt level in the picture) - outcome is okay-poor. bottom shot is oval
2) i moved 10cm back of nodal point - outcome is  good. bottom shot is full circle.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

Tommy

Sounds like option 2 is the one that works best.  If you're getting the circle at the bottom it sounds as if it's working well.  I haven't had a chance to experiment on this today but I will do tomorrow.

Cheers - Steiner

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-01

Seems to me people are a little confused because you have seen our panorama's images displayed without the camera Tripod/Rotator Head in the shot.

This is because we have removed the Tripod/Rotator Head in Photoshop by cloning it out.

You are looking for as close as you can get to a perfect circle as shown in my image 2 in this thread as what you can see is a Kaidan Rotator Panohead each image will have approximately 1/2 the Rotator in each single fisheye shot. Once you stitch them the down shot will look like image 2 in the same thread.

If not, then your nodal point is not correct and you need to adjust and try again.

To see a down shot of your own stitching you need to convert your equirectangular image to "Cubic" this can be down in Panoweaver with the 5th button on the tool bar. You then scroll down to the very last image. This is also how you will clone out the tripod and fix error seams in the sky/roof "Zenith and Nadir" the roof/sky being the second last image in the cubic pictures. Once corrected you then convert back into equirectangular.

equirectangular image = an image half as tall as it is wide it has an aspect ratio of 2:1

Hope this helps.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-02

My previous post was taken 2 shots. all of them do not match perfect on the edge even the nodal point have oval shape of panhead. 

Today, i've taken 3 shots and it turns out GREAT at the nodal point.

Here what I did...
Put the screw to very end of the back bracket and attach the camera on 2nd line hole.
Put one triangle in 1st line hole in front of camera (right side).
Put one triangle in 4th line hole in front of camera (left side).
Don't use two flat planes.

To find a nodal point
--------------------
1) Moving left or right (black - bracket):
Take two shots (front and back), stitch with panoweaver to see if the panhead is match the align. View panhead in Cubic (6th bottom). 
If the top part is align left, you'll need to minus a cm.
If the top part is align right, you'll need to add a cm.
Repeat again.

2) Moving forward or backward (silver - rotator base)
Watch the movie "Finding the Nodal Point.mov" in kaidan CD.  
Get a long stick or tall box and put in front of camera.
Take 3 shots  in (1) front, (2) 60degree left and (3) 60degree right
View them in the camera preview to see if the align is match from stick to the end of the room. 
Example if taken shot on right side (60 degree from front) compare to front:
If stick goes opposite direction from the end of room, add a cm to move backward.
If stick goes same direction from the end of room, minus a cm to move forward.
Repeat again.
Using 4 batteries are too much trouble.

You've found the right nodal point. Take 3 fisheye shots and the panhead should be perfect circle. (taking 2 fisheye shots will not give you circle shape)

My nodal point is at 50.3 cm of bracket (black) and 135.7cm of rotator base (silver).

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-02

Hi Tommy

Thanks for the detailed feedback!  Unfortunately, I'm not able to emulate this procedure as I'm now having to return my Kaidan Quick Tilt Leveller - it's faulty!  After spending an entire day trying to get this Kaidan setup to work, I'd discovered that one of the supporting arms on the leveller is unstable.  Therefore, whenever I rotated the camera head, the entire bracket became unlevel for 1 out of every 3 shots.

I'm 'hoping' once this bloody piece of hardware is replaced that I'll be able to stitch a bloody panorama together!  This is without doubt the last bit of Kaidan hardware I ever purchase.

Steiner

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-02

Tommy

Can you post this 'Finding the Nodal Point.mov' file some where?  My CD only has PDF files on it (England).

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-02

the video is 7MB, i don't think i can upload. It the almost same instruction i did in step 2. you'll need a long vertical stick or something and match it to the end of room that have vertical line while rotating the camera. And talk about Quick tilt leveler. That's all in the video.

http://www.kaidan.com/nodalpoint.html

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-02

OK no problem.  Thanks alot for your feedback Tommy.

Steiner