panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-05

Best tripod?

Hi All

I presently have a Velbon Sherpa 250 but I'm not sure this is a good tripod for VR work as it has a tilting head and a quick release plate.  While both these things seem totally static/locked, I'm not sure my camera and head (which are heavy) will effect their stability when rotating?  Would I be better off with something like the Manfrotto mn055_pro_tripod?  It has only a screw thread at the top  (see here)

Also, in a previous post, the Manfrotto GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD W/QUICK RELEASE PLATE was mentioned.  It looks good, however, I’m not sure a ball mount is 100% stable during rotation of a heavy VR head?  Anybody using this and can offer their feedbacK?  It says it only supports 5.5 lbs.  Would something like the Manfrotto MIDI BALL HEAD / Manfrotto Cat. No: 488 
be better as it supprts 17 lbs?

Thanks!
Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-05

I don't know about your tripod. Just remove the head (quick release plate, 3-way head, handle) completely from tripod. It can be tricky how to remove it.

Don't use the height adjustment (center stick). This affect on my tilt. Put all the way to the bottom and use the 3 legs to adjust the height.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-05

Yes 100% agree with tommy916.

You can remove your tilt and pan head completely from the Velbon Sherpa tripod and replace with the Manfrotto Action Ball Head #222.

This would make it almost the same as my set up. It can carry my Canon 10D and Sigma Fisheye no problem.

Also as tommy916 mentioned never adjust the height with the centre pole (leave it flat to the bottom for added strength.

The Manfrotto #222 has a friction control dial to adjust the tension on the ball so you should be able to find a happy setting.

Don't forget though you can buy a Manfrotto Levelling Base#338 instead.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

Great, thanks fellas.  The tripod seemed to be be of solid construction - nothing in the literature showed that the head could be removed. 

I'm getting the Agnos MRotatorBP.  Am I correct in thinking that this does not have a built in quick leveling system?  ie. I do need to buy one of the Manfrotto products you've mentioned.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

Hey Steiner,

Great choice this rotator is excellent!

That should put an end to finding that elusive nodal point!

The MRotatorBP has it's own "Spirit Bubble" for level checking and it is placed high on the rotator/panohead. It should be used for the correct level. But you will need to do yourself a favour and buy either the Manfrotto Quick Grip #222 or the Manfrotto Levelling Base#338 to help set your levels. 

Sit all this on top of your Velbon Sherpa Tripod and you should be in business.

OH! One thing though! The Velbon Tripod has a 1/4" thread and "most" heads are 3/8" thread so you will need an adaptor/reducer Cost = $2.50 USD approx Be sure and get yourself one...

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

Hi Smooth

You're right, the screw thread is 1/4".   I called Italy and spoke with Martino - he informed me that the rotator comes with an adaptor so I'm safe there thanks.

Re. the quick tilt, I'd love to get the 222 'joystick'   as it's a user friendly design.  However the MRotator grips the neck of the fisheye lens and not the base of the camera, creating a fair rear overhang.  Do you think the ball mount would be up to that downward pull?

Cheers

Steiner

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

hey smooth and tommy,

i extend my column on my bogen tripod all the way out.

in order to compensate for doing this, i use the bogen 3265 (222) and level the head. do you think this is enough to correct the leveling? or is there something you guys have discovered?

i do this because is faster than extending 3 legs. also, since the legs are not so wide apart, they appear less in the final stiched pano.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

Steiner,

I just added a page showing my heavy Canon/Kaidan set up sitting on top of the Manfrotto #222 Visit this page and click the link at the bottom.

No problem supporting the weight! It is a little more difficult to position because you are using your wrist. A man will have no problem, ladies might find this a little difficult to position.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

VT360,

I do not recommend your method, but if it works for you then that's all that matters. I have found "Flex" in the rotation with the centre shaft lifted between the three shots taken. So I prefer to leave the centre shaft all the way down into the seated position. (This is based on my "Sliding" centre shaft) It is not geared!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-07-06

Wow - your gear outweighs the suggested capacity for the 222.  That's great - I'm out to Jessops now to buy one! : )

Cheers

Steiner

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2004-07-06
Quote: Originally posted by steiner on July-06-2004

Wow - your gear outweighs the suggested capacity for the 222.  That's great - I'm out to Jessops now to buy one! : )

Cheers

Steiner

I have not used this set-up over a long period of time so I cannot comment on it's long gevity. But it seems fine playing with it here in my office.

Regards, Smooth