panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-10-21

HDR Solution

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post as I've just started using Panoweaver this last week.

I've been trying to do HDR images of some indoor panoramas. I've followed the instructions that EasyPano has for HDR images. I've shot the room three times at three different exposure levels. I import each exposure set into Panoweave, stitch an exposure set together, then save the panorama. I do this for all three exposures. I then take each of those panoramas and import them into Panoweaver HDR. I click the 'Create HDR Image' icon and it creates an image but the panoramas aren't lining up so it has all this 'ghosting' going on from the different exposure layers.

I noticed that as I created and exported each of the panoramas Panoweaver wasn't stitching them the same way even though every exposure set was shot at the same degree intervals. Consequently the exposure layers don't line up exactly in Panoweaver HDR. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought Panoweaver HDR would line up the different exposure layers automatically.

FYI: I shoot in RAW and import all images into Panoweaver as RAW.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
skyEffect
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-10-21
Couple of tips:

You should never stitch unprocessed RAW images.
You should process/develop your RAW files to 16 Bit .tif images.
You should HDR individual shots before stitching, saving each as 16 Bit .tif

Good luck.

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-10-21
Can you share why it has to be saved by 16bit?
celavey
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-10-22
Whilst the image is still in 16 Bit format you can still manipulate a wider colour gamut. Gradients are smoother and more detail is preserved.

Please read: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/

In the end the images will be shown via Tourweaver or Panoweaver as 8 bit .jpg but this should always be the very final step.

If nothing else it helps to prevent colour banding. This is normally a problem in panoramas with blue sky shots. The gradual transition is not smooth and looks horrible. Editing in 16 bit helps prevent this effect from happening.

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-10-24
Hi Smooth,

So should I do the processing in Photoshop or can I do it in Panoweaver?  I'm still new to all of this so I apologize if I ask a dumb question.

skyEffect
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-10-24
I have a few more questions.

If I'm suppose to HDR individual images before stitching them then why does EasyPano's HDR instructions say otherwise?  Their instructions clearly show that you stitch the images then import them into Panoweaver HDR to create an HDR panorama. 

It would be difficult to change exposures between individual shots instead of shooting a panorama at one exposure, changing exposures then shooting the panorama at that exposure, etc.  I have to adjust my F-stop, ISO, and Aperture whenever I change exposures so to have to do that three times for every shot would take forever instead of just doing it three times total for a specific panorama.  I hope I'm making sense with this.

EasyPano also mentions stitching RAW files to create an HDR so now I'm confused because you're saying don't do that while EasyPano's instructions says that's what I should do.

This link shows these two topics being covered by EasyPano:  http://easypano.com/showkb_69.html

My last question is:  Would it be better to use a program like Photomatix to do HDR?
skyEffect
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-10-29

I have been exporting 16 bit images out of Photomatix, they look great, then when I import them and create a tour with Panoweaver, the colors are all desaturated?  Any ideas?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-11-01

Sure isn't a good sign when there's only a trickle of activity on a software's forum...

skyEffect
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-11-01

So far, the new forum is not to my taste and because of this I post little.

Maybe when the new forum has Proper Mod Control, English Smilies and Spell Check options?

Your issues:

Just because Easypano state a method, doesn't make it "best practice".

HDR shots do NOT require any change to Aperture or ISO. The fact is, the only change is shutter speed. Good cameras have AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) and shoot the required images +/- Automatically.

If you are changing Aperture, ISO, White Balance or Focus you are doing it wrong.

Tone Mapping is the feature you need to use NOT full HDR.

Colour Space should be sRGB from Camera, through processing to publish. Of course all software must be set to sRGB for this to work (Photoshop, Bridge/ACR, Photomatix etc).

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-11-02

Hi Smooth,

As coincidence would have it I learned those very same tidbits yesterday while doing some research on HDR.  I've been wasting a lot of time, making HDR very complicated.  No wonder my panoramas look so bad...  Lesson learned though and I appreciate your help.

As far as my comments about this forum I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your responses or the time it takes for you to respond.  That wasn't my aim at all.  In fact I was pointing out my concern that you seem to be the ONLY one responding to comments and questions on here.  Your expertise are a huge help and I've definitely appreciated them but you shouldn't have to be the only one "holding down the fort" here on this forum.  Are there not other Panoweaver users out there that can give input from their experiences?  Where is everyone else???

skyEffect