panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-26

Your vote for virtual tour player

Please tell us your preference on ActiveX or Java player. Your vote is truely appreciated and important for the design of Tourweaver 2.00. Please go to  http://www.easypano.com/poll.html to vote.
Many thanks.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-26

Why not do both??? Imatronics have managed this with output in java and active X. Apart from that... 89,9% of users have Java installed. Having to download and install anything is always a problem for many users who just won't use the tours then. ActiveX is also known to be a major virus carrier and is disabled by many users by default. Java can play hi res panoramas as can be seen with the FSP viewer which is based on PT viewer. Also imatronics have also a java based viewer allowing for large screen panos. Oh yes... we have an auto detect for java... so some of your info is not factually correct.

I'd be very disapointed if Easypano would resort to a propriotory activeX viewer and I believe it would influence my business negativly. So much so that I'd not be able to support or use TW 2 at all. 

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-27
Agree with Phoenix both, is preferable.
Customer choice is critical. Many do not want plugin driven tours - many do not understand the difference between the two either. Confusion reigns!!! Do not throw java out yet, assuming the launch is Autumn05, too early. Java is still the dominant force out there despite its faults. Not sure if Active X is supported by Mac???
aj
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-27
I prefer Java, because Firefox becomes more popular and Firefox doesn't support ActiveX.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-29
Well said phoenix. I think easypano will lose a lot of customers if the choose to go soley down the active x route. plus why dont they have a java applet that does all the things the active x will do? Its quite possible. Please dont let me have to go back to iPIX easypano! Apart from the numerous bugs I like TW a lot
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-29

I've copied some of my above comment and have put together some of the issues again. Please take part in this discussion even if you don't use TW.

• Why not do both??? Imatronics have managed this with output in java and active X.
  • Apart from that... 89,9% of users have Java installed. Having to download and install anything is always a problem for many users who just won't use the tours then.
  • ActiveX is also known to be a major virus carrier and is disabled by many users by default.
  • Java can play hi res panoramas as can be seen with the FSP viewer which is based on PT viewer. Also imatronics have also a java based viewer allowing for large screen panos.
  • Oh yes... we have an auto detect for java... so some of your info is not factually correct.
  • MAC and Firefox don't support ActiveX

It appears to me that you need to research your options more thourghly and not just go the easy way. Java is still a very good platform and is continually evolving. It may be worth doing something like a java light and java with plug-in version which will detect Broadbandspeed and then download to the user so that they can use the plug-in (very small) automatically. This will also enable full screen and verious add-ons.

I'd be very disapointed if Easypano would resort to a propriotory activeX viewer and I believe it would influence my business negativly. So much so that I'd not be able to support or use TW 2 at all.

Please contribute to this discussion even if not a TW user.

Thx Rob the Phoenix

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-04-29

I'm not sure Easypano has ever said they are going solely down the ActiveX trail. At least I hope not!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-29
I would have to agree with all issues mentioned by Rob the Phoenix. It would be another product in the easypano line that I would not be able to upgrade due to easypano moving the product further away from my needs.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-29

Hi Smooth...

I know that Easypano have never mentioned they'd just go for ActiveX... however, I feel quite strongly about this issue and going by the poll "Do you want one or other makes me worry that only one option may be considered. Also I felt the listings of reasons why were biased towards ActiveX. My points were made to compensate for the fact that ActiveX is being shown to have more capabilities then java. Whilst this may actually be the case... I still felt inclined to point out that java also has various capabilities that I feel are not listed. Is'pose I'm just concerned that they'll drop java... which would dissapoint me as I feel it's at present the better all round solution. What would really be cool is if Easypano would find the solution to displaying spheres in flash.... hhmmm now we're talking.

All the best to you old buddy, Rob.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-30

Agree Java is essential to keep. Robert, I don't know of any way to auto detect Java but would be interested to know what is working for you if you are willing to share the code. An active X plug-in would be useful as an alternative but a Mac etc compatible plug-in should also be available to cover all other platforms similar to 'Ipox'

Simon

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-04-30

Hi Rob,

I see your point and concerns. I would not support a product if the only output option was ActiveX. Java and Quicktime are essential and at this stage ActiveX is just a novelty. The problem is that Easypano's TWViewer doesn't work with the latest version of Sun Java and Sun Java keep moving the goal posts it would seem. Why Sun continue to stuff up the ways java works and is not backward's compatible is beyond me. It must be frustrating for the Easypano developers.

Pity Apple are so greedy with the Quicktime Viewer - in the USA they even force iTunes into the download making it a whopping 20+ MB.

I wish someone would develop a standard that is small enough and cross browser & backward compatible.

For me as stated it's Java and Quicktime.

Regards, Smooth