panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-21

Lighting For Tours

There are times where lighting is necessary to complete a tour.  I use the 0-360.  My question is this.  What type of inexpensive lighting could I purchase for the purpose (keeping in mind I will rarely use them) and where do I put them so they are not visible in the tour.  If anyone has a sample of a tour that they have done with lighting, I would appreciate seeing it.  Thanks

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-30
What kind of lights are these? The little floor lamps. I'd like to get a few of these.

http://showhouse.ebay.com/tour.html
Click on the fitness room pano.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-21

Lighting.... well that really is an issue unto itself. I've found that working with my Canon 20D/Sig 8mm and shooting in RAW has been a great enhancement for panowork. This is especially due to the fact that the camera is pretty good at covering a very wide range when I do 3 shots with different exposure times per 90. the bit of required blending is quickly done with limited PS time involved. stich in PW4 is a quick and easy. A little bit more of PS tidying up for zenith, nadir and the odd touch up or two result in great quality panos.

Useing external lighting has lots of problems due to the inherant issue of the lens. A few guys I know will have:

3 or 4 battery powered video lights. These can be positioned around the scene out of sight eg. behind a sofa.

some reflectors in gold/silver/white. These can be used with 1 video light mounted behind the camera faceing 180 away from the lens. You then use the reflector (can be a bit of white card) to throw the light forward. The reflected light gives a good all round lighting without throwing to much shadow (even of the camera) or being harsh.

a softbox is nothing more the a box like structure covered in a smei translucent white material against which/in which a white light shines. the light becomes defused by the material and creates a soft glow.

I've not tried any of this yet. But I will as of the beginning of next year. I could imagine that one could command a higher fee if one went to the trouble of lighting the environment... thus giving the client the feeling that there is a lot of effort involved in doing what we do.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-27

I've had lots of luck with:

* using video lights around the room/space
* using dimmer switches on lights/lamps in a room
   (cheap, from a hardware store and/or homemade)
* positioning a hot light on a stand, behind & above camera,
   and bouncing this into the ceiling, or
* using a softbox the same way, but pointing more
   into the room

--
The last two methods aren't a good solution, obviously, for people using a one-shot solution -- but for a multi-shot setup, all you need to do is move the stand around as you shoot.

Cheers,

Patrick
spinControl:VR, an alternative QTVR controller
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-28

Hi,

I shoot with a one shot type lens, and sometimes have to use lights.  I use inexpensive photography lights (small smith victor flood lights) and clip them (sometimes to small tripods) on something in a room, like a door handle or piece of furniture, or enlist someone to hold them out of sight, bouncing the light to achieve the desired affect.  If I can't do that, I either clip two or three (one light generally results in out of balance lighting) to the tripod legs with vise grips, or I have even hid under the tripod myself and held the lights.  Sometimes this will result in a need for some cloning out in the final picture.  I also bring along extension cords.  I avoid using lights whenever possible, but sometimes it is just absolutely necessary in order to get a good shot.

jan
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-28
I lkie the lamps used in the showhouse because even if they get in the picture, they look good.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-11
The lights I am talking about are small smith victor lights which you can find if you do a google search for them.  They are basically a light socket surrounded by a metal reflector shade with a cord coming out.  Then I use regular clamps from the hardware department, or mini tripods.
jan