panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-02-26

PreLoader Testing

Hi there

From one of my topic you can tell that I think the preloader is just waisting some time to get some stuff loaded but has actually no functionality.

Last year I developped a site for north africa and hat the need to test on low bandwith. I found the tool http://www.netlimiter.com/ that lets you limit the bandwith per application. This is actually a recomandation for everyone in webdesign who wants to test what loadtimes feel like with dial-up.

When I limit my IE to 8kb/s (ISDN Speed) the loadbar will spend the same time from 0 to 100. But the rest later loads very very slow.

This is why I really think (and this is sad) that the preloader has no functunallity at all.

So if you ever want to go back to 33'000 have a look at http://www.netlimiter.com/.

As for EP. I hope they read this post and can tell me what I am doing wrong, or put a TW 2.1 out there very soon without "EP Help" but with a preloader that does something.

Then I am a customer again. But not before. Sorry

Markus

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-02-26
I tested one of our TW2 Tours on a Verizon Wireless PC Card - About 4 times the speed of dial-up. I was extremely disappointed. In TW1.3 you could just wait for a tour to load all of the scenes and view the tour as normal once loading was complete. Doesn't seem to be the case here with TW2. In fact, the gray loading of the the bottom half of the stills that I have seen complaints about here in this forum applies to the panos when they load slowly. It looks like they are trying to imitate the quicktime loading.... The bad thing here is that the pano starts panning and you can not even see anything but a gray grid - and little squares of the pano will start loading one at a time. If you are on autoplay, the viewer will pano through the scene (while all you see is a bunch of gray squares) and then the autoplay will move you to the next scene and do the same thing again - Nothing ever really loads, about 10% of each pano. This is bad, and makes it impossible to see the tour for a dial-up user.

I tried minimizing the browser hoping that everything would load while I worked on some email for about 15 min, and when I brought the browser back up, I had to wait for the whole skin and the floor plan to download again, and then the hotspots appeared, and then I was back to waiting for each scene to load, which would be interrupted by minimizing the browser.
So in the Low-speed internet world, TW1.3 was much better... Just let the tour load for about 5 minutes and then you could view as normal... Not with TW2... Not at all...
Will Best
Virtual Impressions Inc.
Real Estate Virtual Tours and Floor Plans
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-03-07

I am suprised that nobody seems to have the same problem or that they just don't care.

What does the preloader to for you?

Regards Markus

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)