panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-28

What lense do you use?

Hello all, i am new

I have been looking into virtual tour software for quite sometime abd i have not been happy with the choices i have made in the past, hopefully i can get some ideas here. Tourweaver seems real nice and i just downloaded the trial, i hope it goes well.

Question, when you are shooting a real estate panorama, what lense do you use? alot of people are using the Sigma 8mm the problem is the distortion on the edges....i feel that real estate pans should look as real as possible.

I am presently purchasing a Canon 10-22mm for my VT's. what are some of you using??

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-28

Hi dsulvett,  welcome to the forum

While we do not take real estate panoramas so you are safe.. no competition here.  We do use a Sigma 8mm f3.5 lens.  And we take 4 images for a full 360 around the horizon and 180 degrees vertical field of view.  The way you reduce the fisheye affect is to set your zoom in (FOV) to around 90 degrees across the horizon.  90 degrees is about normal eye sight which gets rid of fisheye barrel distortion.

From what I read here in the formum most all use a Sigma 8mm, Nikon 10.5mm or Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens.

We also have and use a Canon 10 - 22mm wide angle lens for single images of hotel rooms, but not for panoramas.  Panoweaver will not stitch wide angle lens images. So you will need to find another stitcher software.  However, your in luck.. Tourweaver will accomodate wide angle 90 to 120 degree vertical field of view  full 360 degree around panoramas.  Key factor here is.. when loading your cylinder image.. tourweaver VIEWER maps a full sphere image... so you will need to truncate your vertical field of view down to the height of your cylinder image.  You may want to consider taking a panorama (or use an existing Canon 10-22mm @10mm FULL 360 panorama) and try it out in the Trial Version of Tourweaver 3... see how it works.

Nice thing about this.. if you choose a Sigma 8mm lens instead of the Canon 10-22mm wide angle you can buy Studio 2007 [Tourweaver 3 and Panoweaver 5] and take it off on your year end income tax as a valid expense in doing business.

I am not a tax adviser and do not practice law. But it is something to think about.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-09-29
Quote: Originally posted by 360texas on September-28-2007

We also have and use a Canon 10 - 22mm wide angle lens for single images of hotel rooms, but not for panoramas.  Panoweaver will not stitch wide angle lens images.

Well that part is not quite right Dave,

Panoweaver 5 does stitch wide angle images shot with the 10-22mm lens as shown here on the product page . "The horizontal field of view should at least reach 75 degrees"

Dave, you might like stitching up a set for us to see?

To answer dsulvett your query about Fisheye lenses and distorted edges. This is a furfy! Once the images are stitched there is no discernibly difference between images shot with a rectilinear lens or a fisheye. Any distortion you see is via the viewer ONLY and because it has not had the FOV (Field of View) correctly set or limited. Thus eliminating unnatural human perception. Meaning you can pan wider than the human eye could normally see. This is a common myth for newbies after seeing poorly constructed panorama scenes.

In my eyes the pick of the bunch as far as lenses for panorams is and always has been the Sigma 8mm F/3.5 Fisheye lens. Reasons being: Good Picture Quality, Minimal Shots, Easy Stitching and general ease of use. Basically you can cover the full 360 x 180 in 4 shots on any budget DSLR.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-29

OK...  I consider myself corrected.    It appears that the Canon 10-22 @10 appears to stitch  6 images with a DSLR that has a crop factor of 1.5... meaning a Canon 20d or 350d or similar camera.

The issue seems that you get a black backgound top and bottom above the image.  I suspect you could use the sphere to cube function to get 6 face image.. then patch the black background.  Then Cube to Sphere to complete the task. 

The Canon 10-22mm lens has an EF-S mount and will not work on a full sensor Canon 5d.

I did try the 10-22 on a 20d last year.. taking 8 images and could not get it to work because there is not a PW5 setting for 8 images.  Ok will try the set of 6 and see what happens.

Thanks for pointing the way.  And sorry for misleading others.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-10-01

For the record:

The 10mm setting on a 10-17mm Tokina Zoom lens will not work in "Wide Angle" stitch setting as it is classed as a "Fisheye" lens and not a "Wide Angle" lens.

So we have to wait for Dave to stitch a set up for us.

Regards, Smooth