panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-11

Help me write a survey

I was speaking with my business adviser yesterday and he was giving me a lot of helpful advice when it comes to marketing my business. He wants me to produce a survey that i can send to my potential customers. I am marketing to commercial real estate people and I have a list of over 100 people I want to send this survey to. In order to entice people to answer the question, I will be giving something of value to them away -- I'm not sure yet what that will be. Perhaps a chance to win a free Virtual Tour.

However, my problem is, besides the obvious questions like, "do you have a Virtual Tour on your website," or "Do you think VTs are an effective means of advertising," i am having trouble coming up with other questions to ask. So I figured, this might be information you guys might be interested in, so I am asking for some help coming up with some questions.

I would like to send this survey out within the next 2 or 3 weeks and when I get the results, I will post them here.

I've looked at other surveys but so far all I've found were surveys targeted at the end user. I want to engage the people buying the VTs.

So far, my questions are (in no particular order):

Do you use VTs? Why and why not?
    Do you think VTs are an effective means of marketing?
    How many properties do you currently represent?
    Have any of your sales resulted directly by or were initiated by the Intenet?
    Do you allocate a budget for internet marketing for each property that you represent?
    If you use VTs what are your likes and dislikes?
    If you don't use VTs, what keep you away?

If you would like to add some questions that you think would be helpful, please do so.

thanks!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-11

How about:
Have you ever seen a professionally made Virtual Tour?
What do you think of the quality of the Virtual Tours you have seen?
Do you think there is value in quality photography?

Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-12

Hmm, I don't ask questions of real estate agents or proprietors I tell them what they need and why.

When they say we've seen it all before! I say you haven't seen my work, and then show examples.

If they show little interest, I just say OK thanks I'll offer my services to the opposition then - your loss and leave. You don't want to waste time with anybody who is not onside from the get go. You are just wasting time.

Sure you can type a list of the reasons why, and leave them a copy with your contact details.

Dealing with these guys is all a confidence thing. You must match them for "BS" because that is their daily job. Be confident and polite but don't take a backward step on what you believe is right not only for you but also for them.

As a trick, do a panorama outside their business before going to see them. These guys love to see their name up in lights and leave them the CD to play with (again with easy contact to you) it will get passed around the office.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-12
Excellent thoughts Smooth. But here's why I am doing the survey. I have a list of about 200 or so names in the commercial real estate industry. Many of these have virtual tours, some don't. They all have a marketing budget that blows away and residential real estate agent. We're talking about properties like corporate parks -- 100,000 square feet and up to a million sf. They all have spent money on photography.

Although my plan is to reach every single one of them, I want to qualify the leads first. They all happen to be members of a particular association that I myself will be joining so when this survey reaches their desk, hopefully, they will have some familiarity with me. I know that if I can get in the door and go belly-to-belly with them, I can make the sale. My percentage of closed sales is quite high, once I'm in.

So this survey is designed to qualify them so I can choose which ones to speak with first (who has a need right away), and to educate me about what they are thinking. Not just about virtual tours, but about commercial photography in general. And also about other marketing needs, since I don't just provide virtual tours.

The question about their properties is to remind them that they have empty spaces left to fill. Perhaps their current marketing material isn't sufficient.

I think this information will be helpful not just to me but to other virtual photographers who want to offer VTs to the commercial real estate market. So I am asking if you had an opportunity to ask these people a question, what would you ask?

I completely agree with you that you need to tell them what they need. But if you can help them see that even before you meet with them, it makes the sale much easier. Then you go in and present a solution to a problem you both know about.

I like the idea of doing the pano outside before meeting with them. I guess the only problem though would be getting passed security.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-12
Quote: Originally posted by emarts on January-12-2008

I like the idea of doing the pano outside before meeting with them. I guess the only problem though would be getting passed security.

Take the pano with them (the security, in it) they like to have their name up in lights also! LOL

Seriously, I see what you are trying to achieve. I will give it some thought. Still though, surveys rarely find the real truth - if they did there would be something decent to watch on TV and have you seen the politicians?

I find once you have one of the bigger players you get all the followers anyway. One can't be miles ahead of the others. These guys play for keeps. Word of mouth is always the biggest form of advertising so never bag or bad mouth anyone. These people talk and staff go from one employer to another daily.

Good luck with your venture.

Regards, Smooth