panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-09-01

Tour loading/Pano sizes

Some of you will remember me from a few years back when I was far more active on the site. Alas been tied up with other stuff but am starting to rollout pano work again and am creating 4 new tours to Demo next week. They'll still be in TW5 demo mode however I'll appreciatte any comments. Looks like I'll be waiting for the bugs in TW6 to be ironed out before an upgrade becomes viable. However i have a few questions in the meantime...

This may be a dumb question... but do TW5 and 6 tours load the skin and elements and all the panos and photos before the tour stars or do the individual panos and photos get loaded individually by request from the serverfile? Large tours would obviously take a wee bit to load otherwise.

I've been experimenting with Pano sizes and is a well discussed topic. I've been outputting 4000x2000 px panos which look good in the 900x600 screenviewer format I prefer as well as in full screen. However am happy for advice and views. (obviously we can't make everyone happy and I've been trying to keep images files at 1-1.3MB) I also noticed that the image sometimes judders and will experiment with slower turning speeds... but if anyone has any ideas here. (I tested on basic PC laptop and Mac book 17' pro without issues... it was on the topend MAC with huge 1900 screen res where then problem lay which may just arise due to the masive screen size.)

Also has anyone any thoughts on photos? I tend to sharpen etc. images so that they look great at a given resolution eg 900x600 but whilst the images still look OK in fullscreen... they're not great. Am I right in asuming that EP doesn't allow us to image dump in DB and then auto-resize to screen res with appropriatte sharpening to image size?

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2010-09-20
Thanks for this answer Smooth... that really helps.
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2010-09-01
Quote: Originally posted by phoenixrising on September-01-2010
This may be a dumb question... but do TW5 and 6 tours load the skin and elements and all the panos and photos before the tour stars or do the individual panos and photos get loaded individually by request from the serverfile? Large tours would obviously take a wee bit to load otherwise.

All skin elements and the first scene are loaded, others by request after clicking is pretty much how I see it. You have the option in the publish settings>flashvr (tab) to include the first scene in the progress bar of the loading window.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2010-09-01
Quote: Originally posted by phoenixrising on September-01-2010
I've been experimenting with Pano sizes and is a well discussed topic. I've been outputting panos which look good in the 900x600 screenviewer format I prefer as well 4000x2000 px as in full screen. However am happy for advice and views. (obviously we can't make everyone happy and I've been trying to keep images files at 1-1.3MB) I also noticed that the image sometimes judders and will experiment with slower turning speeds... but if anyone has any ideas here. (I tested on basic PC laptop and Mac book 17' pro without issues... it was on the topend MAC with huge 1900 screen res where then problem lay which may just arise due to the masive screen size.)

Really for full screen 4000x2000 is the minimum. 1600 pixel cube faces with 1900 pixels or larger for optimal playback especially on an iMac 27" screen. The minimum of 1600 pixels is 5000 x 2500

• 5000 divided by Pi 3.1415 = 1591.52 pixels
  • 6000 divided by Pi 3.1415 = 1909.91 pixels

You should make use of the Publish Settings>FlashVR (tab)>Scene options where you can choose to display smaller resolution in your 900x600 scene viewer window. You really want 2500x1250 pixels for this window. So if you choose 5000x2500 fullscreen you would choose 50% in this option and maybe compress a little harder to maximise download speeds. 800 px cube faces roughly.

The huge advantage is that the fullscreen larger scene will "only" be downloaded if it is called upon. Meaning the customer/viewer is in control on whether they wish to A) Wait for the clearer view B) Chew through their bandwidth.

If you have the equipment then 6000x3000 or 8000x4000 is totally usable for fullscreen. In the case of 6000x3000 you could choose 40%, this would still give you 2400x1200 to display via your 900x600 window and a lot of quality (when asked for) in fullscreen mode.

Regards, Smooth [8D]