panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-15

My first Virtual Tour for dicussion

Hi all!
I have created my first panoramas and done first virtual tour. At present time with demo soft. Here it is http://www.artpixstudio.lv/Customers/Tourviewer_sesku.html
In view of making business on it I would like to receive your opinions, comments and any recommendations about my panos and tour at all.
Any critique and advices are welcome!
Your viewpoint is very important for me!

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-15

Hi LOKO.

Photographically the tour looks good. There's a few areas I'd suggest refining your stitching parameters though. Most notably, in the pink hallway, look at the doorway at the end of the hall on the right hand side. The right side of the door frame is a "double image", and the ceiling trim over that door is off by quite a bit. Also look at the 2'nd cabinet over the kitchen sink. There appears to be a Pitch setting error in your stitching settings. There's also some mismatch in the kitchen light if you pan straight up, which could also be related to the pitch settings.

Overall it's very good, and for your first one I'm very impressed. My only suggestion is to experiment with your stitching parameters (yaw, pitch, roll & FOV) until you find that "sweet spot" that works for your particular camera & rotator.

Thanks for posting this. I'll be anxious to see some more of your work. Take care.

Regards,

Brian Jackson

www.rotopix.com

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-16

Hi RotoPix!

I have no seen “double image” at the right side of hallway! Thanks for your note!

Do you think it is necessary some changes in camera setup to avoid further errors with lighting and “double images”?

By the way, what camera setting do you use? And what is better: Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter priority or Programmed auto?

BR,

Vadim

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-16

LOKO,

Before I can offer any detailed suggestions, I'll need to ask if you're using PanoWeaver Pro for your pano stitching. The "Pro" version allows for manual alignment of your stitched image after the auto-stitch function has run. Manual Mode lets you do 2 things:

1). You can fine-tune how the images line up with each other and see the results instantly as you change the numbers.

2). It displays the alignment parameter (Y/P/R/FOV) values so you can write them down. As long as you use the same camera and rotator for each future pano you stitch, these values should work fairly well.

There's a settings window in PanoWeaver Pro you can access by clicking:

Tools > Auto Stitching Parameter Settings

Within this window you can enter the "degree ranges" for each axis that PanoWeaver will work within in determining the optimum alignment of your fisheye images. Typically I'll set them to be around 1 degree each way of my "optimal settings", based on a test image. In other words, after Manual Mode alignment on a difficult image with a lot of geometry (like a tile bathroom!) I'll write down those numbers. If the best Yaw angle turns out to be -0.4 degrees, I'll set the PanoWeaver Yaw Range from -1.4 to +0.6 (which is a 2 degree range, 1 degree both ways from -0.4).

As time goes on you can narrow this range down even more to save stitching time. But as you do, when you see a perfect stitch, go into Manual Mode and see how close those numbers are to your original range settings. Over time you'll get an "average" perfect range for your particular setup, and can refine & narrow your ranges from there.

IMPORTANT!  What I've found in my experience is that it's a good practice to always start capturing your panoramas with the rotator in the same position. To explain, I once had an old IPIX rotator that click-locked at 180 degree intervals. After testing, I learned it was more like 178.8 degrees. So I placed a little stick-on dot at the base of the rotator (the non-moving part) so that I could make sure I always took the first fisheye shot from that click-lock position. Since you're using the 3-fisheye method, I'd suggest also making sure your rotation direction is always the same (clockwise or counter-clockwise.)

What this does is ensure that any geometric/mechanical tollerances in your rotator are repeatable and consistent with all panos you shoot. That will help enable you to fine-tune your stitching parameter angular ranges with your particular hardware rig.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I do hope this helps you. It's amazing how many little "tweeky" things can affect an otherwise seamless pano.

Respectfully,

Brian Jackson

http://www.rotopix.com

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2004-06-17

Thank for your explanation!

Now I see things I have to “play with”!

Soon I'll post my next work on forum.

BR,

Vadim