panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-20

Tours don't work with latest JRE's

Has anybody got a solution to the problem that the Tourweaver Viewer applet doesn't seem to work with the latest versions of Sun Microsystems Java Runtime Environment, either JRE 1.5 or JRE 2.0  Anybody with automatic update and consequently now using that system will now be unable to view any Tourweaver tours. I have uninstalled these versions and reinstalled Microsofts Java Machine, which solves the problem for me, but makes my tours pretty much useless for a large percentage of potential viewers.
Roger The Lodger
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-21

Easypano... this is bad one!  Now please update your TW java viewer...

- Hans

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-21
This issue needs to be sorted now! I've got to many customers out there how're useing TW work and am in the middle of a number of projects.
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-21
HHmmm... my colleague did download the JRE 1.5 and TW worked. HHhmmm?!?
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-21
Good Afternoon

Your Colleague that made TW work with 1.5. Do you know what operating system he's using ??
 I'm running XP Pro with service pack 1. I found service pack 2 too restrictive. Unloading the latest JRE and re installing Microsofts Virtual Machine then works. Any suggestions ??

Roger The Lodger
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-22

Hi guys, Robin Barnes and I have been speaking off forum over this issue and he's been having a few customers complaining about the above issue. We've tested this ourselves and seem to have following conclusion.

Windows XP service pack 1 and new SunJava JRE1.5 = tour doesn't work.

Windows XP service pack 2 and new SunJava JRE1.5 = tour does work.

I'll presume that the new JRE has been designed to work with service pack 2... however I don't know this, know whay the new JRE would have conflict with serv.p. 1 or how to solve this issue.

EASYPANO we need a response on this subject very very soon.

Cheers.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-22

Would it make more sense, please correct me if I'm wrong, to steer viewers clear of JRE and direct them to download Microsoft JVM?  I'm considering posting the Microsoft JVM .exe link on my site.  Are there any potential problems I'm missing?

I've noticed a couple of other issues with the java.com download. 1. The JRE automatic installer gets blocked by SP2.  Therefore, only manual download is possible, which might irritate and confuse people.  2.  The JRE download is much larger - 12megs i believe versus 5megs for the Microsoft JVM.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-22

I think the main issue here is that many people just won't want to/can't download anything. Half of users are irregular web users and even more don't have broadband which means downloads of anysort are a no no. Corporate customers won't download a thing without prior approval from their tech support which means they just won't view the tours. The whole point of java driven tours is that Java is the most commanly installed driving software and will be therefore the least likly to cause tour failiure.

As far as steering users away from jre... well thats all well and good... but the problem is the auto update... and then the reality that the tours don't work. Furthermore... hasn't Microsoft stopped distribution of JVM??

SP2 is a pain as it is... I have yet to install it... but I've seen a customer who wanted to open a CD with a tour get the "beware" warning and they automatically didn't open tour. SP2 makes java driven tours less easy to view due to possible fear of virus issues. This is why Easypano is looking to upgrade TW... but not until September/October.

Easypano... maybe you guys should consider this issue one of urgency... If more and more customers start having tour issues.... well I just don't want to imagine the amount of calls and work that might come my way due to this problem. You guys are kind of obliged to sort a patch out in the interim or risk a very disgruntled user base.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-23
Yes that's exactly it. We Easypaners will obviously take the effort to keep tours working, but as Robert says we can't expect any help whatsoever from the general viewers. They will just give up if they can't see Easypano tours but if other competitors viewers work then we'll all be in trouble. For instance I notice that PTViewer works when TW doesn't. It wouldn't seem beyond the bounds of man to sort out a patch as Robert suggests. 
Roger The Lodger
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-02-23

It is recommended that you also send these requests and findings directly to support@easypano.com with the complete low down on what happens with what set up/combination so it can be logged and tested. That is as well as posting here online for everyone to keep up with the "fix" progress.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-02-24

Sorry for the late reply.

We haven't encountered this problem before, our technical persons are testing it and try to find the solution.

Would you please try to view the sample virtual tours on our website to see if you can view them.

If possible, please send me the link of your virtual tours, we need more information to have a test.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards, Jane