panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-07-18

HTML 5 | iPhone | Quicktime

So, I need you fellas to bring me up to speed

Seems that HTML 5 and all of it's quarks is basically used for the iPhone to view virtual tours. The android phones are using Flash and tours are readily available. My question is why not use Quicktime, the product that was made for the Apple and iProduct ?

With Easypano building apps, why not just use Quicktime for support?

I realize HTML 5 has it's place as web development changes. However, in this scenario why not just make a simple publish Quicktime?

When I first arrived here in 2005 publish options for Tourweaver 1.3 were Java or Quicktime. So, it's not like it's something new.

Just curious?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2011-07-19

Apple has dropped QuicktimeVR and Quicktime in any fashion is NOT supported by iDevices. Apple has pushed hard for HTML5 because it doesn't require or allow Adobe Flash which Apple believes is the devil reincarnated. Well at least Steve Jobs does!

Apple are and always have been self serving. Lock it all up in a bubble and make a lot of money.

Upshot! Forget QTVR it's dead (RIP) and cater to Apple at your own peril. Even the HTML5 isn't really what it is. It's Webkit html5/Css3 for Safari.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-07-19

I know that Steve Jobs does not like Flash but to give up on Quicktime...WOW that's a shocker.

I don't have any iDevices or a MAC?  But can't the the end user visit Adobe and download Flash? 

This whole gamma of catering and building to iDevice and Safari reminds me of building a simple website for Firefox, Opra and Chrome then having to hack the code for it to render properly in Internet Explorer.

Regards, Pixel

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2011-07-19

I don't know if you can download Flash via the mobile Apple Safari browser but I do know you cannot install it.

Hmm, you suggest you had to modify your code for Internet Explorer to render it correctly. I remember it the other way around. Internet Explorer held 90+ % of the market and when it did Microsoft/Internet Explorer was the standard and the "others" took it in a different direction. Much the same as Apple is trying to do now with the iDevice.

The fact is there is really isn't a "standard". There is the self proclaimed W3C standard, but I'm not to sure who made them king?

Anyway, No Flash on iDevice, no Quicktime on iDevice. Just pain in the butt Webkit html5/Css3 and more unnecessary work.

This is the problem when there is a power struggle.

Betamax or VHS anybody? DVD+R vs DVD-R, Mac vs PC, GM vs Ford, Google vs Bing etc the list goes on and on.

Android vs iDevice

Regards, Smooth [8D]