panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-01

Load Images From A Server?

Is there a way to have the player load images (that would normally be contained within the tour) from outside the player (like images stored on my server)?

I am trying to figure out how to minimize the initial loading time for the tour. It would be great to be able to have images load like they do on a website.....pulling from the image location on the server.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks!!
Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-02
Hi there!

If you use a simple publishing mode (Flash VR, not Flash VR swf), then your tour behaves exactly the same way you mentioned. First loads TW application (~350KB) and only then the images are retrieved from server one by one. TW software also use pre-caching to optimize the speed.
Basicly, from software point of view everything is already done and it is done good. You may optimize image size/quality, but there is no need to optimize software behavior.

Best wishes,
Madmux
My Tourweaver components: http://www.optitecha.lt/categories/3
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
Thanks Madmux......knowing this will help me troubleshoot :)
Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
UPDATE:

So I did some testing to see what was causing this tour Surf Line Hawaii 40+ seconds to load.

What I found is that when I take off the pop-up windows it cuts the loading time in half...less then 20 seconds. You can test that here Same Tour No Pop Ups

The tours were both published as Flash VR and not swf. So I guess my question still stands because the additional images (aside from the panoramas) are what is being loaded on the initial loading of the tour making loading time take way too long.

"Is there a way to have the player load images (that would normally be contained within the tour) from outside the player (like images stored on my server)?"

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
True, your file images_jams-world2.zip is the bottleneck of your tour. Its size is 10MB - so it takes time to load.
Usually .zip files were used for hotspots and similar mini-images. Maybe your images are used as hotspot components or something like that?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
AHA!! Thank you for confirming that Madmux. Your knowledge is always greatly appreciated.

The culprit for the slow loading is the pop-up background image. I use the same image for most of the pop-ups. Is there a way to force Tourweaver to utilize the same image file instead of creating and then calling separate image files? This would really drop the load time.

Thanks again!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
Well, that would be a task for Easypano team, because we can not directly influence tourweaver behavior.
One thing that you could try - is to add background image into popup window as image component (not as background of popup window). Likely the image will not be produced as the same one but at least, maybe, it will not be added to the zip file and will be loaded asynchronicaly.
Can't guarantee anything, but maybe it is worth to try with a couple of popup windows?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.....but unfortunately TW automatically creates separate files for each window. I just tested to see and each of the 4 windows I created with the image as a component and not background still produced separate image files in the zipped file.

What about using/editing xml file?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-03
What is the library even for in TW?

In Adobe Flash CS5 the library is used so that you can have multiple instances of the same file without having to load multiple image files for a single project which of course keeps the overall size of the finished file down to a minimum.

Seems that TW should incorporate the same logic as it would tremendously decrease loading time by using the same file for multiple instances.

Any thoughts?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-04
Yes, forget about library - thats another and maybe the last thing to try. Normaly library items should be designed to be reusable not only in design time.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2011-11-05
Hi Madmux,

I should have written that I did actually try it, which is why I asked the question "What is the library even for in TW?"

As far as I can tell, it's just there to take up space ;)

Using components from the library still creates multiple files......and if you try to add an image from the library, you can't.

You can drag and drop the components from the library onto a window, but you can't drag and drop any of the images onto a window, scene, loader or mainwindow....so pretty useless I think. I could be wrong about dropping the images, but I couldn't get it to work :( and even if it did work it still creates multiple files.....so I don't see the point :)