Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Flash (as in "lighting the subject) Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by callgary on November-19-2002 at 3:07pm
View callgary's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by callgary Search   Quote callgary Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
callgary
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-19-2002
59 Posts

Has anyone discovered a way to successfully use flash lighting for 360 spherical or cubic panoramas? 

I'm wondering if 2 or 3 properly placed bare-bulb remote flash units would work.

?????

callgary

-------------
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?

Message posted by hansh-me on November-20-2002 at 11:55pm
View hansh-me's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by hansh-me Search   Quote hansh-me Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
hansh-me
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-09-2002
23 Posts

Hi Callgary,

I've thought on it a number of times. but I've never gone so far as to try it out. I don't think that I'd use flashes though because I always use a high aperature which can put the shutter up to pretty high exposure times. I've thought more along the lines of those small utility flood lights that are used to work under the hood of a car among other things. I'm sure there must be cordless ones now too. A few of these placed with care, in spots hidden to the camera, could help a difficult situation. Then, flashlights could be used to light dark ceiling areas. Using different bulbs for the floods would help to even lighting and not over or under do the lighting in an area.

Since I'm not so good with flashes...this is how I've thought about adding lighting to a pano. Remote, infrared triggered flashes would probably be a quick and effective method for someone with the skills.

Hans

Message posted by blackrat on December-19-2002 at 6:53pm
View blackrat's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by blackrat Search   Visit blackrat's Homepage www   Quote blackrat Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
blackrat
Standard Member
Standard Member
Austria
November-21-2002
2 Posts

Hi,

I ordered my Sunpak 120J barebulb flash I will use in the hotshoe of my Coolpix5000 (or with a flash bracket and cable).

It can only be used in manual mode, because Sunpak has no adapter for digital cameras, yet. The synchronisation of flash release will work.

Results, next year, perhaps ...

-------------
blackrat

Game Panoshots (Thief, Thievery UT)
http://www.panoshots.com

Message posted by callgary on December-25-2002 at 3:19am
View callgary's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by callgary Search   Quote callgary Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
callgary
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-19-2002
59 Posts

Anxious to hear about/see your results with the Sunpak, Blackrat.

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

callgary

-------------
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?

Message posted by VT360 on November-22-2004 at 1:45pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Hey people,

Has anybody used flash (for lighting) while shooting the 2 or 3 fisheyes?

I'm thinking this might solve the problem with lighting balancing. For example, some parts of the room or walls are darker than others and then the final pano shows these color differences. With flash, all will be illuminated equally.

Flash will also solve the burn out / white washed window problems. If you use flash to shoot bright windows, you'll be able to see right through!

My camera has a flash but the fisheye lens blocks it so it does not perform well.

Message posted by 360texas on February-14-2005 at 8:09pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Yes, I did try on a recent photo shoot at Santa Fe, New Mexico.

My test result was not good.  Uneven lighting made stitching results very poor.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by VT360 on February-15-2005 at 11:09am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

glad your back daves.

your absence was noticeable although phoenix and smooth put up a good fight

Message posted by knotty on February-15-2005 at 12:17pm
View knotty's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by knotty Search   Visit knotty's Homepage www   Quote knotty Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
knotty
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
November-10-2004
8 Posts

Dave, did you use the flash on camera or off camera, and how many did you use ?

Has anybody here tried the approach of using a professional lighting setup (hot lights or strobes, umbrellas, softboxes) in the production of panoramas ?

This is something I would be very interested to try.

John

Message posted by VT360 on February-15-2005 at 7:48pm
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

knotty john....lol

this would be a nice set up...but will it be efficient? cost effective?

1. you have lots more equipment to buy, carry, set up.

2. more time setting up, sycrhonizing, etc.

3. more time setting off

if you get it to work perfectly for you, then the resulting panos would probably look amazing...but your clientele would have to be high end/expensive projects.

as is, is hard enough to get an real estate agent to pay $50 for a tour, now i assume it would be harder to get someone to pay $1000.

and why would they pay $1000, if there are people that would do ti for cheaper.

in theory is awsome, i thought about this a while back as well...in practice...is debatable.

Message posted by simon on February-15-2005 at 10:15pm
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

Agree with VT360 in the last post.

From my brief experimentation with 3 sb800 speedlights, diffusers and iTTL flash, it caused more shadow, hightlight problems than it was worth. I ended up with much better results without flash and cloning/blending the windows from a stepped down exposure, it's definately quicker everytime.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register