Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Adobe buys out Macromedia - So What ? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by 360texas on April-19-2005 at 9:36am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts
It was reported in the local newspaper FWST today 19 April 2005 that Adobe is buying Macromedia - says Los Angeles Times.

What players are on PC's ?

1. Macromedia Flash 98.2%
2. Java 87.1% (not sure which flavor)
3. Adobe Acrobat Reader 78.2 %

And I was surprised about this:

4. Apple Quick Time Player 59.6% it ranks at only 1/2 of the PC's.

Others Realone 58.5%, Macromedia Shockwave 52% and Windows Media at 42%

It is also interesting to know that we have 2 clients that are asking for panoramas to be produced in semi flat scroller Flash format. So
we put up a page on our server that visually compares both formats.

http://www.360texas.com/services/bg/index.htm

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by rickske on April-19-2005 at 3:07pm
View rickske's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by rickske Search   Visit rickske's Homepage www   Quote rickske Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
rickske
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-11-2005
34 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised about the percentage rate of users for Apple Quicktime as well. Good "semi-flat" virtual tours btw. Goodstuff.

Message posted by videoedge on April-19-2005 at 6:03pm
View videoedge's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by videoedge Search   Visit videoedge's Homepage www   Quote videoedge Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
videoedge
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
October-02-2002
30 Posts

Adobe buying out Macromedia maybe be an issue for some people, and I could be one!! Problem as I see it is that both companies offer competing products. ie Dreamweaver and Go Live, Photoshop and Fireworks. Common sense tells me that one product will go and it will more than likely the Macromedia ones....
Please tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree!!

On a side issue, how are you guys managing to post without the anoying underlines??

Cheers
Ian

Message posted by 360texas on April-19-2005 at 6:12pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Yes, how are you guys posting with out those annoying underlines ??

Hmm interesting enough I am looking for a flash alternative for panoramas.  Maybe with a future Flash version that incorporates some shockwave technology.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on April-20-2005 at 2:12am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Personally I don't get the whole flat Flash thing?

The images are distorted showing curves where curves aren't (like footpath's/sidewalks etc) If the images were converted to cylindrical first maybe this would correct the angles? either way it doesn't display a full 360 x 180 equirectangular image, so personally I think this is a backward step in panorama display. Sacrificing the quality of the image to fit the viewer?

Now that said, if they ever offer a Flash viewer that can display a cubed/equirectangular/spherical image correctly then and only then would I offer this as a viewer (in fact, I would - based on claimed installed user numbers) make it my first choice viewer. The technology already exists for this projection with Macromedia "Shockwave" and this I feel has more of a chance becoming the standard unless they finally include this technology into Flash. 

For me at this stage Quicktime is the only viewer for full-screen display. Immersion's G2 is the best choice for applet based full-screen projection.

Oh! and my new computer came with WindowsXP Pro and Java was installed and enabled.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by phoenixrising on April-20-2005 at 6:28am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hi there Smooth... I am also awaiting a new computer... ;-)

Thats the problem with Flash... only displays cylindrical panos... not cubics/equirec/spherical. The other querie I'd have, not having the faintest idea about this, how large is a flash file compared to a java file for the same image quality/size?? Is there a difference?? Is the Flash better/worse?? I don't know but am interested to find out. Anyone know??

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by 360texas on April-20-2005 at 9:04am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Smooth,  which flavor of java was installed and enabled ?  Sun or MSJVM ?

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by 360texas on April-20-2005 at 9:15am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

The Flash viewer will display any fisheye panorama equirectangular full 360 or <180 partial panoramas stitched with Panoweaver or other software.  Only issue is when you scroll up.. you would see alot of distortion in the zenith and nadir.

To resolve this  I cropped out the tripod cap (glass reflecting ball) zone and some of the sky/ceiling.  Results appeared to look reasonable.

Most QTVR's were sized to 1.8mb as compared with the Flash version was 300kb.  Smaller file sizes produce faster download with both dial up and broadband visitors

We did offer our client a display choice.  For what ever reason, after they saw both display flavors, they selected Flash to meet their website needs.

The client needs seemed to have been met.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on April-20-2005 at 11:09am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by 360texas on April-20-2005

Smooth,  which flavor of java was installed and enabled ?  Sun or MSJVM ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Was MSJVM on Windows XP Pro SP1

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by dongavich on April-27-2005 at 3:39am
View dongavich's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by dongavich Search   Quote dongavich Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
dongavich
Standard Member
Standard Member
Czech Republic
January-30-2005
16 Posts

Possible result of Adobe+Macromedia = full Flash animations / Movies + viewers imbedded directly into PDFs ?

http://tools.devshed.com/c/a/Search-Engine-Tricks/PDF-Optimization-Death-to-SEO/

(PDFs as "the web's only cross-compatible portable platform")

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register