Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Anyone out there who uses Photomatix Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on May-03-2005 at 9:42pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi all

As a newbie in this forum I compliment all of you. I have read a lot of the topics and what a great forum. As I become more experienced at making panoramas I will try to take part of the debates.

I am considering using Photomatix from hdrsoft.com to improve my panoramas, especially those taken outdoors. I would ilke to know if any of you out there have any experience with Photomatix, and I would love to see some examples, and learn more about how you exactly use the software. One thing is what you read and see at www.hdrsoft.com and an other this is how it really works. I hope some of you can help me with this.

Best regards

Morten Andersen - WideEyes - a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by VT360 on May-04-2005 at 2:56am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Someone might have mentioned it here before but not quiet sure.

It sure looks promising and simple to use

Perhaps you can get the free trail version and test it with their pics and with your own and see if u like it.

Do let us know what you think. 

Message posted by ciconia on May-04-2005 at 8:29am
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi, Morten,

I use Photomatix, and I am rather happy with it. Of the various methods the program offers, I think the HDRI + tonemapping gives the best results. I havent yet used Photomatix for outdoor panoramas, but did quite some indoor stuff. You can see some examples under the following link:

www.photoaround.de/waldschloesschen

Photographed with CP990, Fisheye adapter in F2 mode, 7-11 exposure steps for each shot, stitched with PTGui (Enblend and Autopano), denoised with NeatImage, HDRI + tonemapping with Photomatix Pro. It just did some tests with only 3-5 exposure steps per image, and this also seems to produce good results - with much less work :-).

Regards

Holger

-------------
Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on May-04-2005 at 9:28am
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
I've used Photomatix Pro for a while now mainly for creating HDRI files for use in 3D rendering but also for some 2D work. With a little experimentation, I 've had excellent results. Despite being a long time PhotoShop user, I'm not that impressed with CS2's HDR ability.

I go with Holger's comments: definitely HDRI and tonemapping for internal shots. Regarding the number of exposures required: 3-5 exposures can be good but 5-9 *always* gives the best results in my experience.

Another option is Ulead's PhotoImpact. It has HDR functionality too and tends to give a "richer" feel to pictures. On the downside it has less features than Photomatix and sometimes gives poor results with images containing large aras of light colours i.e. beige. However, it's easy to use, very cheap and works well in most circumstances.

The biggest challenge with HDR is not moving the camera / tripod when making the exposure settings. :-)

Mark

Message posted by VT360 on May-04-2005 at 10:16am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Holger and Mark,

So if your doing 5 exposure and working with a 3 shot fisheye lens it would be

a total of 15 shots as follows:

exposure #1  and shoot 1,2,3

expsoure #2 and shoot 1,2,3

and so on.  is this correct?

Afterwards, you stitch 5 panoramas (exp 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5)

and then you blend them with photomatix. is this correct?

Also, how do you do it so that you don't move the tripod/camera

and so that when stitch them they all stitch the same and so when you blend them

they are all layered perfectly aligned?

Message posted by ciconia on May-04-2005 at 10:43am
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi, VT360,

I would shoot as follows:

shot 1, exposures -4 EV, -2 EV, 0, +2 EV, +4 EV

shot 2, exposures as above

shot 3, exposures as above.

Then you can stitch the 5 panoramas and blend them with Photomatix. Alternatively you can blend the individual shots with Photomatix before stitching the images created by Photomatix. The latter method is not suggested by Photomatix, but I did it successfully. PTGui with Enblend did have no problems leveling the exposure and tonal differences between the 5 tonemapped images.

If you do the photography as I suggest, then you dont have a problem with camera movement, as all shots to be blended are taken at exactly the same camera position. If you stitch first and then blend the 5 panoramas, you must use a stitcher which works with templates (like PTGui): Stitch your first panorama, save it as a PTGui project, then open your next set of pictures and apply the PTGui project file of the first panorama as a template. Do not optimize or set any control points when using the template.

Hope this helps

Holger

-------------
Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de

Message posted by VT360 on May-04-2005 at 11:10am
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Holger,

Thanks for the details...it all makes perfect sense.

Message posted by cuetoyou on May-04-2005 at 12:46pm
View cuetoyou's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by cuetoyou Search   Visit cuetoyou's Homepage www   Quote cuetoyou Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
cuetoyou
Gold Member
Gold Member

February-21-2005
127 Posts

I have some experience with Photomatx though not much. I just wanted to add that with a 6 shot DSLR pano, if you stitch before loading into Photomatix your gonna need a lot of RAM. For me with 512Mb I need to blend the individal shots in Photomatix first. It won't open two big pano files.

Glenn

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on May-05-2005 at 4:35pm
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
Hi VT 360,

EV's differ depending on situation: lots of contrast i.e. a panorama including a bright window looking out of a dark room and I'd bracket for 7 - 9 shots at least +/- 1.5. Less contrast I take less shots with smaller EV increments.

I currently use a remote release on my Canon 20D with Canon 15mm lens to take the exposures which reduces the chance of me knocking something. However, I've just started experimenting with software control using the excellent DSLR Remote Pro program from BreezeSys

(Honesty time: I know Chris Breeze personally and do support work for him occassionally so I'm a wee bit biased. )

DSLR Remote Pro requires a laptop connection too which complicates things on -site but, with a custom script controlling the Canon 20D via the software, I can press a button, sit back and the cameras takes 7 or 9 successive bracketed shots at EV intervals I specify without touching the camera. I also see full screen results immediately.

Until recently I've been HDR'g images in PhotoMatix prior to stitching but am experimenting currently with Realviz Stitcher to stitch one set of images then change image source directories to produce identically aligned panoramas from different sets, each taken at a different EV. I combine the resulting panorama images in either Photomatix or PhotoImpact. As Glenn said, this takes a lot of memory and strains my 2GB machine at times.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Message posted by VT360 on May-05-2005 at 10:18pm
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts
BigGreen,  I appreciate the info. Will look into it.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register