Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Levelling Kit - Advice Sought Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on May-30-2005 at 8:21am
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
I've recently upgraded my tripod to a Manfrotto / Bogen 055NAT3 with 141RCNAT head for normal work.

I've already ordered the two axis hot shoe bubble but any advice on what to get for levelling?

A levelling centre column? A levelling base? Both???

My gut feel is to get a levelling centre column *and* base for accuracy of adjustment. Then fit the panoama head and have it as a separate 'ready-to-go unit' to exchange for the normal head and column on the tripod.

I've overthought this so some objective advice would be very much appreciated.

Mark

Message posted by VT360 on May-30-2005 at 12:55pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

big green,

theres the quick tilt leveler from kaidan.

dave from 360texas uses it.

i use a bogen joystick 3265 and smooth uses that as well.

Message posted by Gen. Lee on May-30-2005 at 1:27pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I have a manfretto 190/jf24 tripod and I recently purchased a manfretto 3416 leveling head to use with my new setup.

The 3416 is a very  nice piece. It is well made and of heavy duty construction. It has a small spirit level on the base. Whch is a little lacking. It would be nice if it was a little bigger. But you should use a hot shoe leveler in addition because you want the "camera" to be level not just the base.

With this leveler you can level the tripod head but with the camera attatched

Any way I have been using this leveler for a few weeks now and It is great. I have seen others but the construction seemed lacking or they were to "gadgety"

This is a nice simple leveler made of machined steel and thick brass thumb screws that are easy to manipulate.

"A levelling centre column? A levelling base? Both???"
Hummmm.... I think as far as VR stuff goes the simpler you can keep it than the better off you will be. I have the tripod + 3416 leveler + Agnos rotator + camera and thats it.

You could stack a fancy 3 axis ball head and a 3416 leveler together or add other levelers in between but that sound to complicated too me.  Too many oppturnities to make a mistake. Too many adjustments to fiddle with. Time is money.

Gen. Lee

Message posted by VT360 on May-30-2005 at 1:49pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

the 3416 has gone down in price. thus making it more affordable than the quick tilt leveler from kaidan. good call gen lee.

the 3265 is about the same price as the 3416.

i can tell you that the joystick is bulky and weighs more than the camera and fisheye togehter. but is very easy to use and has quick release plates which makes set ups fast!

i guess it depends on your taste.

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on May-30-2005 at 5:06pm
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
In most locations I visit I need to take both normal and panorama shots. I have five shoots planned all in ancient or old churches with less than even floors. For external shots, some of the church yard cemeteries are more uneven (for obvious reasons). Maximum adjustment is a necessity.

To save time, the intention is to have two tripod cloumns:
- one for normal photography = Manfrotto 3-way 141RCNAT head + 337 hot shoe bubble level
- one for panoramas = Manfrotto 555B levelling column + Bogen 3416/ Manfrotto 338 + 360Precision head.

Logic = changing columns takes seconds whereas a/dis/reassembling bits of head takes far more time and, as Gen. Lee says, time is money.

My quandry is do I need both a levelling column and a levelling base?

As I said, I've thought about this for so long I'm going round in circles of dangerously decreasing circumference.

Maybe I'll get the levelling column first and see how I go before getting the levelling base.

Many thanks for all your comments on this. Much appreciated.

Mark

Message posted by VT360 on May-30-2005 at 9:02pm
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

how many cameras are u using?

i think is better to use 2 cameras each with the setting and lens u want.

each with a quick release plate. this way you can attach and disattached

easily on 1 tripod with its 1 column.

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on May-30-2005 at 9:24pm
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
It's far cheaper to buy a second column + head than another Canon 20D (I wish).

Also, as far as I know, the 360Precision head does not come with a quick release mount compatible with Manfrotto / Bogen tripods.

I think I've found a solution: a Manfrotto Low Angle Adapter & 338/3416 & 360Precision head. That should allow for quick head changes plus reduce weight and space for transporting kit to and into the site. If I need to I can replace the low angle adaptor with a levelling column later on.

Mark

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register