Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Circular fisheye too small Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by webquest on June-20-2005 at 2:10pm
View webquest's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by webquest Search   Quote webquest Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
webquest
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-31-2005
22 Posts

I'm using a Nikon 5400 with an FC-E9.  When I shoot circular fisheye images in manual mode, my camera zooms all the way out making the circle about 50% of the available screen.  Why does it do this?  Wouldn't I be better off if I could adjust it to use as much of the CCD as possible while still being a circle?

Thanks!

Message posted by 360texas on June-20-2005 at 3:16pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

While taking portrait images (long side up) you camera might be trying to maximize the image width and not necessarily the image height.  This will take advantage of your sensor surface area.

And yes, you could always deselect the Fisheye lens option in the Lens type selection menu.  Then zoom in to maximize the full image height.  It is important to remember to use that exact same zoom factor in all the remaining images in the series.  Also, you would need to take more images because the left and right side of the image circle will be truncated.

Try 4 or 6 images in your full panorama then use PW 4 for stitching.  PW3 will only stitch 3 images.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by RuddersUK on June-21-2005 at 7:46am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
can't you just set it up so the camera knows which lens its using like other nikons?

Message posted by RuddersUK on June-21-2005 at 7:51am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
oops, I get it now, It does this so you get the full frame image which are easier to stitch. but you can change the lens setting to F2 which zoom in so there is a full frame image. Otherwise you will have to zoom to your desired level everytime.

Message posted by 360texas on June-21-2005 at 8:47am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Once the zoom is set,  do not tinker with it.  It should keep the same zoom level as long as the camera is kept turned on.  Once turned off and on again, the camera zoom might change. 

Idea is that you zoom in just until the top of the circle image reaches the top of the frame..... then leave it and take your images.  You should be able to look at your cameras EXIF picture info and tell what focal length mm your zooms are for each image.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by inter6300 on June-21-2005 at 9:50am
View inter6300's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by inter6300 Search   Visit inter6300's Homepage www   Quote inter6300 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
inter6300
Standard Member
Standard Member
Switzerland
December-16-2004
84 Posts
Hi

Use the setup and change the objectives to fisheye.

Also change to the Aperture Modus.

I dont have the camare with me right now, so I cant tell you the other settings. But have a search in the forum, the CP 5400 settings have been discussed several times.

Markus

-------------
http://www.powertext.ch Canon 20D / Sigma 8mm / Roundshot VR-Drive

Message posted by webquest on June-21-2005 at 7:50pm
View webquest's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by webquest Search   Quote webquest Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
webquest
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-31-2005
22 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My problem is that for some reason in "M"anual mode, my camera will not allow me to use the zoom function at all.  As soon as I turn it off automatic mode, the camera zooms out all the way and it cannot be adjusted.  This makes the circle quite small.  I would think it would make sense to make it as large as possible (without losing any of it).  I do have fisheye selected for lens.  I just don't know why the camera locks out the zoom in manual mode.

Message posted by smooth on June-21-2005 at 10:08pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The camera does NOT lock the zoom in manual mode. The zoom is locked once you select (F1) Fisheye 1 mode.

Zooming on the fisheye lens DOES alter the nodal point somewhat and this can cause stitching problems unless you reset your cameras position for correct nodal point adjustment.

It is recommended you follow the correct procedure.

If you must go against the grain you will need to set the lens setting to "Normal" not F1.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Gen. Lee on June-26-2005 at 5:13am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Smooth,

Do you think using zoom will make any difference in the quality of the final image?

Gen. Lee

Message posted by 360texas on June-26-2005 at 10:54am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Your camera probably is in the locked full zoom out because you have the Fisheye lens selected in the LENS menu item. 

In the lens menu item select "Normal".  With the fisheye lens mounted to the camera put the camera on "REC"ord "M"anual you can zoom in or out and your EXIF information will record the focal length used with each image.

Sort of like having a Zoom-able fisheye lens.

When taking a panorama, once you zoom into fill the viewfinder/LCD,  do not turn the camera off... and take all 4 or 6 images needed to get at least 30 - 50% overlap between image pairs.

Depending of the shape of your circle images, use PW4 to stitch 4 or full frame or 4 or 6 drum type.   No guarantee this will stitch properly.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register