Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Doing CSI clients now Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by RotoPix on June-22-2005 at 6:19pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts
For anyone interested (or just bored), I started work yesterday on a project for the Benton Harbor Prosecuting Attorney. I captured a series of spherical images of the crime scene for a murder case. In one of the shots I mounted the fisheye lens exactly where the victim's head was when the bullet entered, and another from the point of view of the gun barrel. Kind of creapy really because you can still see remanence of blood stains. I saw the original crime scene photos and it was pretty gory. But hopefully the full-screen scenes I produced will aid in puting the jury right there at the scene.

I'm really hoping this could lead to a full-time position. I meet with the assistant prosecutor tomorrow morning to show her the presentation. Wish me luck.

Message posted by VT360 on June-22-2005 at 6:33pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

Good luck roto!

hadn't seen you around much- you should come chat more often.

must be tough to do a tour in that type of scenerio.

Message posted by smooth on June-23-2005 at 12:40am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Good luck Brian,

Keep us posted.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by cuetoyou on June-23-2005 at 4:02am
View cuetoyou's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by cuetoyou Search   Visit cuetoyou's Homepage www   Quote cuetoyou Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
cuetoyou
Gold Member
Gold Member

February-21-2005
127 Posts

Good luck. Wishing you many more murder scenes in the future!

It would be great to hear how things go, please keep us informed.

Regards,
Glenn

Message posted by phoenixrising on June-23-2005 at 5:48am
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Great news... well done. Crossing my fingers and wishing u luck. Consider packaging the whole thing up as Easypano Crimescene concept suggests.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by RotoPix on June-23-2005 at 7:31pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your support.

The scenes turned out great, and disprove the defendant's testimony that there wasn't a straight shot to the victim. Based on GSR (gun shot residue) spread, we could accurately place the lens within a couple of inches of the firing position. From that position any "line of sight" is a potential bullet trajectory.

The Judge wouldn't allow "stringing" since it could potentially reflect bullet ricochets on different dates. What IS known (and backed up by the shooter's confession) is where he was standing while firing. He claims that part of the porch was in the way of the bullet and must have deflected off. But by placing the lens at the POV of the gun, the victim's position has an unobstructed view.

Of note: I intentionally did NOT PhotoShop any elements of the spherical images, which I do for other clients. I'm told I must appear in court as an "expert witness" and the less editing you do to the images, the more credible. I sorta had to switch gears from making them pretty.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Message posted by Gen. Lee on June-26-2005 at 4:37am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Rotopix,

I was a Paramedic for 14 years before I got into panoramic photography. My father in law was the "Chief Deputy" for the county I worked in before he retired. We talked about crime scenes back 1995 when Ipox hit the market. But back then the resloution of the images was not really good enough to document details in the crime scene so the sherrifs office decided not to use the technology.

Now we have better technology and better cameras and the ability to shoot very detailed images.

I am using a D70+Nikkor 10.5mm now for full screen work. This setup can make panos with very  good detail. It is possible to see things like scratch marks on doors where possible entry was made and document blood stains and blood spatter patterns, position of furniture etc.

My carrer as a paramedic had givin me great understanding about crime scenes. I have worked many murders and been an intergral part of some cases.

Anyway this knowledge gives me the ability to properly photograph a crime scene. Sometimes there are situations where this knowledge is necessary to properly photograph the scene.

Can you post some links to some or your work in this area, or is this not possible due to confidentiality?

I would like to make a presentation for law enforcement but I need to gather some background info.

Any help would be appreciated

Gen. Lee

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register