Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Rolls Royce of Tripods ?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Gen. Lee on July-04-2005 at 3:04am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Friends,

I am researching specs for a new tripod. I have a Manfrotto 3001 (190/JF24) which has been in service for many years and it is time to replace it. The legs sometimes fall off due to the plastic collars coming loose. Its easy to fix on the spot but I am tired of that happening on a photo shoot while my clients are watching. LOL - you should see the looks on there faces when it happens. Its easy to fix but it is no longer funny.

To start with what is the "Rolls Royce" of tripods. What is the tripod everybody wants but can't afford?

Gen. Lee

Message posted by fatchai on July-04-2005 at 9:44am
View fatchai's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fatchai Search   Visit fatchai's Homepage www   Quote fatchai Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fatchai
Standard Member
Standard Member
Hong Kong
June-16-2005
24 Posts

slik sprint pro.

light weight 1.96lb ... good for travel.

support 2.5kg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278545&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Message posted by phoenixrising on July-04-2005 at 2:54pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts
Manfrotto RC141 is what I use. It's heavy mind u... but very very stable... and costs around 150,- comes with 3 way movement and screw handels.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by Thomas on July-05-2005 at 6:28am
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
As I remember you can change all nuts and bolts on the Manfrotto stuff. My 055 tripod has the second sets of nuts after using it for over 15 years.

However, the Rolls Royce of Tripods (and price) is Gitzo....

Message posted by VT360 on July-05-2005 at 10:22am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

bogen / gitzo 3021 pro

light, exteneded colum, inverted column, horizontal column, level on tripod

Message posted by RemKool on July-05-2005 at 3:16pm
View RemKool's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RemKool Search   Quote RemKool Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RemKool
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-01-2005
8 Posts

This article might help.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

I do not recommend Kirk products though because they pale in comparison to Really Right Stuff. You can also get a really good ballhead from http://www.markins.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on July-06-2005 at 5:38am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Very informative article Remkool. Although I am not using big glass my whole rig weighs a lot and is about the same as a heavy long lens.

I never gave much thought to the issue of "complete" stability but when shooting with my D70s+10.5mm I think that I should pay more attention to this factor. It makes sense.

My agnos rotator plus the camera weighs about 5 pounds and the rig will cause flex on the tripod. I have been wondering about the effects of this.

I looked at the Gitzo web site and checked out the prices and it looks like Gitzo is the rolls royce. The article also  mention this.

I have an old "Quickset Senior" tripod. It is a rock solid piece of equipment. It was made in the 70s and is now out of production. The one I have is in very good condition. But it is very heavy. Solid aluminium construction. It looks kinda like a Gitzo but the head is different. I guess I will have to give it a try.

Gen. Lee

Message posted by Thomas on July-06-2005 at 3:42pm
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
I forgot the german company Berlebach , they have wooden tripods, nice looking and very good.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register