Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Help with photomatix needed - blurry pics Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on July-08-2005 at 5:17am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi everybody

I have started to use photomatix from HDRsoft to make HDR panoramas, but I am experiencing problems with the quality, and wondered if any of you have any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong.

All of my HDRpanoramas tend to get quite blurry. I can't understand why as I believe I am doing everything right. This is what I have tried:

1) I shoot all of the pictures at the location at different exposures. I am using a Nikon coolpix 8700 with the FC-E9 fisheye and the MrotatorA from Agnos

In photomatix I have tried different approaches. I have tried to combine (h&s details auto) the pictures before stitching and I have also tried to generate HDR images and tonemapping before stitching. They always get blurred, even if I align the pics beforehand.

I have also tried to stitch all of the panoramas prior to generating a HDR panorama. Here I load the pics into panoweaver, toggle them all with the following parameters:

Ceter X 1615

Center Y 1249

Radius 989

After this I export/publish the pictures and open them in photomatix. Again I have tried to generate HDR and the tonemapping and I have also tried to combine the pics. Accordingly to my knowledge when I do it like this there should be no problem with the alignment, but the panos still get blurry, also if I align them before generating the HDR.

Anyone out there who have had the same problem, or who have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?? I would really appreciate all of your help.

Unfortunately I cant post any of my panoramas as my webpage is build on a CMS system and that do not allow me to post panoramas my self.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

p.s. a small question more. When I have generated a HDR panorama and are about to do the tonemapping I can't import the generated picture into panoweaver if I make any adjustments e.g in color saturation or "strength". Panoweaver just write:

Error 003: Please import a valid sperical (2:1) or cubic panorama image (1:6).

I have asked easypanos technical support for an answer on this questions but if any of you can help me I would be gratefull.

Message posted by cuetoyou on July-08-2005 at 6:00am
View cuetoyou's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by cuetoyou Search   Visit cuetoyou's Homepage www   Quote cuetoyou Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
cuetoyou
Gold Member
Gold Member

February-21-2005
127 Posts

Hi

Do you take 360 degrees at one exposure setting, then do another 360 degrees at a different exposure setting and so on? Or do you take multiple shots at different exposures before then rotating the camera to the next click stop and taking a nother set of exposures etc?

I'm just thinking that if the camera moves even a fraction between different exposures then that could explain the blury (not quite pefectly aligned) HDR results. I think it's probably better to take all your bracketed exposure shots in one postition, then rotate the camera to the next stop and bracket again and so on. Also you must be very gentle with the camera and tripod when adjusting settings on the camera between shots so as not to move things any more than necessary.

Just a thought
Glenn

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on July-08-2005 at 7:10am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Glen

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have tried both procedures. One where I take multiple shots at one setting and one where I take one shot, then rotate and then a new shot. You are right the result is better when you take all of the shots at different exposures before rotating, that I have learned :o) but still the picture get blurry. Perhaps the alignment tool of photomatix is not as good as I could have wanted it to be. Do you know any other way to align the pics or do they have to be aligned in photomatix to work?

Please everybody if any one else have any suggestions they are mostly appreciated.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on July-08-2005 at 7:15am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi everybody

I have just recieved an answer from Easypano regarding my last question on why I can't import the HDR picture into panoweaver. Thought some of you may benifit from the reply if you should get in the same situation as me. Here is their reply:

"We have checked your image and found that your image is 1986*999. It is not an exact image of 2:1. So the error comes out. Maybe some pixels are lost by accident when you edit it. So please make the image into an exact image of 2:1."

Does any of you know why photomatix changes the image so it is 1986*999??

Also does any of you know how I can correct/change it so it once again becomes a 2:1 picture?? I know it moste likely is a newbie question but still hope you can help me :o)

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by 360texas on July-08-2005 at 9:11am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Now that you know the dimensions are being altered you can change them back... they are only off by 3 pixels.  Adjust one side only:

1986 width/2 = 993 not 999   or

999 height * 2 = 1998  not 1986

Force Photoshop to not adjust the opposite dimension.  Now your image is 2:1 and you can view it in PW4.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by marktold on July-08-2005 at 9:12am
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

Do you press the shutter by hand or do you use IR control to take the pictures.

As soon as you get your hand to the camera I would expect that the camera will move in some direction even if not noticed. So therefor a blury picture would be explained. Since you thake 3 times 3 or 3 times 4 shots not all shots would have the same error so the missalignment would be different on each shot. Therefor any alignment would correct one side and make an error on the other side.

Just an idea what it might be

Regards Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on July-08-2005 at 9:48am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Dave

Thank you for your help. I also found out that I could just change the image size in Photoshop, so that was a nice and easy solution to that part of my problem :o)

Markus

I press the shutter by hand. Do you really think that is enough to cause the missalignment?? Have you had this experience personally or is it just a theory of yours?? If I go you and purchase a remote then I believe that sometimes I will experience an other problem. I have found that some times it is not enough to use autobracketing even with ev steps of 2 e.g. if you have a room with bright light shining through the windows. Therefore I will need to cintrol the exposure steps manually, and as far as I know this is not possible with a remote control. Is this correct???

Thanks for your help so far.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by cuetoyou on July-08-2005 at 5:36pm
View cuetoyou's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by cuetoyou Search   Visit cuetoyou's Homepage www   Quote cuetoyou Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
cuetoyou
Gold Member
Gold Member

February-21-2005
127 Posts

I have a Nikon D70 and I use the countdown timer (too tired to think of the correct term!) on the camera, set to 5 seconds. I have to manually alter the exposure settings for each shot however, which will cause camera movements, but I try to be very gentle! So I think using the timer probably helps, but it would certainly be better if you could avoid touching the camera at all.

I don't know about your camera but I used to have (well still do) an Olympus C5050Z. That would take all the bracketed exposures with one press of the shutter, which was nice. Perhaps yours does this?

Glenn

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on July-08-2005 at 8:27pm
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
Have you downloaded the latest version of PhotoMatix Pro (v2.1)? The alignment feature was improved in this version.

I've had excellent results in PhotoMatix Pro 2.1 using a Canon 20D + 15mm lens but all my recent shots were taken via a link to a laptop running remote control software. This reduced camera / tripod movement to almost nothing.

Check out Ulead's PhotoImpact 10 software. It has a limited HDR function but the auto alignment tool is excellent.

I found that in camera sharpening can help: if turned off, the resulting HDR panoramas can appear very soft. So try bumping up your in camera sharpening.

Mark
www.BigGreenFurryThings.com

Message posted by inter6300 on July-09-2005 at 3:02am
View inter6300's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by inter6300 Search   Visit inter6300's Homepage www   Quote inter6300 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
inter6300
Standard Member
Standard Member
Switzerland
December-16-2004
84 Posts
Iam working with the 8700 as well and Iam using Photomatix.

Recently I did a photo with extreme sunshine outside and a quite dark room inside.

I always use the timer. With the CP8700 you can choose between 10 or 3 seconds and you could use the remote control as well.

I made 3 different (dark, middle,light) panos in the aperture mode. Then I stiched them in Panoweaver. Then I processed the panos in photomatix. I tried in H&S Detail and H&S Intense.

After some tests I used only the dark and the middle light pano and stitched them in H&S Intense.

After the photomatix stitching I had to adjust the pano size in the photoshop like Dave mentioned to 2:1 size to process the pano again in PW to mount the groundplate.

Well then again back to the PS reduce the pano from 6000 x 3000 px to 1500 x 750 (for Tourweaver), a little sharpening and tonemapping.

Here you can watch the result.

Hotel Castello

regards Markus

-------------
http://www.powertext.ch Canon 20D / Sigma 8mm / Roundshot VR-Drive

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register