Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: A few initial questions Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by nick ward on July-16-2005 at 3:27am
View nick ward's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by nick ward Search   Quote nick ward Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
nick ward
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2005
5 Posts

Hi Everybody
I am completely new to the world of tours and panoramic views, and am considering setting up a company here in the UK to offer these services. I was initially made aware of all this through an ipix tour and was going to go down that route until I discovered this site.

I would be grateful if anyone could answer the following:

Why easypano is better than ipix?

Having gone through the forums Im going to plum for a Coolpix camera however the 5000 seems to be discontinued here in the UK, should I get the 8800 instead?

How long on average would it take to shoot and edit the following?
A panoramic shot of one room using panoweaver

A virtual tour of a 6 roomed house (including links to other rooms) using Tourweaver

Are there any courses running in the UK, if not where is the best place to go in the US?

Thanks for your attention

Message posted by smooth on July-16-2005 at 4:02am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Why is Easypano Panoweaver better?

Easy!

• Cheaper
  • Stitches 2 or 3 shot fisheye images not just two
  • Also stitches DSLR images both Drum and Full Frame
  • Easy to use interface
  • Easypano don't sue people for having a go!
  • Friendly forum with lots of people to help you succeed

Should you buy the CP8800?

You can if you like but!

• Coolpix cameras that except the FC-E8 fisheye are known to be better for images quality
  • The CP5000 is the top of the range that would accept that lens
  • The CP4500 is also a good choice
  • These camera's are still available if you shop around (maybe outside the UK)
  • The CP4500 is still offered here in Australia
  • Try eBay (Does it really need to be new?)

How long will it take to shoot?

• Depends on YOUR skills
  • How well you can correct things in Photoshop
  • How good a result you require
  • How well you understand manual camera settings

Any courses?

• Not sure about that
  • You could learn all you need to know right here on the Easypano forum

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by mediaPix on July-16-2005 at 8:39am
View mediaPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mediaPix Search   Visit mediaPix's Homepage www   Quote mediaPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mediaPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
June-19-2004
69 Posts

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the easypano forum.

I, like many others initially looked at the *pix option and once you have thoroughly researched your options you will avoid it like the plague.  

I started around 12 mths ago with little knowledge of VR production but regularly visiting the forum, reading and asking you will learn virtualy everything you need to know. There are some wise old owls out there that have been producing VR work and helping others for a while. With people like Smooth, Dave @ 360 Texas and Mark Told to name a few you will get answers to your questions.

One area you will need to polish up on is the post production work with Photoshop or similar. This will give you the edge when competing with the snap happy VR producers who take little pride in their work. Again lots of help and info on this in the easypano forum.

To reiterate on smooths post I agree with the FC-E8 lens being the better choice for the coolpix range. I started with,

Nikon Coolpix 4500

Nikon FC-E8 fisheye lens

Kaidan Quickpan 111 CS Pano head

This was great equipment to start out with and learn the trade so to speak

I have now moved to a higher end of the equipment level, Nikon D70s, Sigma 8mm, Agnos pano head, this will take another learning curve but will find it easier after learning with the initial equipment. The Nikon 4500 kit is suited to the EA market quick in and out stuff. While the D70s setup is more for higher end one off commissioned work.

The Nikon 4500 kit will be up for sale in a week or two and will probably be posted on ebay. If you decide to go down the easypano route ( highly recommended) and are interested in the above setup then give me a shout. If you are in a position to splash out and money isnt a problem then skip the middle market (CP8800) jump straight in and go for the higher end equipment (DSLR) you will probably end up there anyway.

Regards mediaPix

Message posted by inter6300 on July-16-2005 at 9:20am
View inter6300's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by inter6300 Search   Visit inter6300's Homepage www   Quote inter6300 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
inter6300
Standard Member
Standard Member
Switzerland
December-16-2004
84 Posts
Hi Nick

I started the VR360 to make a pano tour for my house. I had a Coolpix 4500, FC E9 Fisheye, Manfrotto 303 Panohead.

Sometimes I learnded to use the photoshop CS to enhance the pictures. In my opinion, photoshop is a must have.

Next step was a coolpix 8400. I still could use the rest of the equipement. I also bought photomatix. (do a search in the forum for photomatix)

For the FC-E9 you could use either the cp4500 or cp8400.

But I actually would start with the cp8400 because of the timer, wich one can set to 10 or 3 seconds. I take photos only with the timer release or the cp8400 remote control, so I can avoid the shaking from pushing the release button.

Yesterday I bought the Canon D20 and the roundshot pano head. Now I have to discover, how it works :))

So thats my way in the last 9 months. This forum is very helpful with the all the mentioned moderators ( dont forget phoenixrising) , just start reading and you will learn really a lot. Now I feel save to do comercial work.

This is my personal view and experience, cheers and have fun. :)

Markus

-------------
http://www.powertext.ch Canon 20D / Sigma 8mm / Roundshot VR-Drive

Message posted by smooth on July-16-2005 at 10:09am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by inter6300 on July-16-2005

I started the VR360 to make a pano tour for my house. I had a Coolpix 4500, FC E9 Fisheye, Manfrotto 303 Panohead.

For the FC-E9 you could use either the cp4500 or cp8400.

Markus

Hi Markus,

Mate you are misinformed to suggest that the FC-E9 will fit the CP4500 because it doesn't.

Maybe you are thinking of the CP5400?

Just to clear things up the following camera's accept the FC-E8

• Coolpix 900
  • Coolpix 950
  • Coolpix 990
  • Coolpix 4500
  • Coolpix 5000 with adaptor

The FC-E9 suits the following,

• Coolpix 5400
  • Coolpix 5700
  • Coolpix 8400
  • Coolpix 8700
  • Coolpix 8800
  • All require adaptors to mount the large FC-E9 fisheye lens

BTW, almost all Coolpix cameras have the selectable 3 and 10 second timer option. I know both the CP4500 and CP5000 both do.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by inter6300 on July-16-2005 at 11:12am
View inter6300's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by inter6300 Search   Visit inter6300's Homepage www   Quote inter6300 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
inter6300
Standard Member
Standard Member
Switzerland
December-16-2004
84 Posts
........ oops you're right. It's the cp5400.

Thanks Markus

-------------
http://www.powertext.ch Canon 20D / Sigma 8mm / Roundshot VR-Drive

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on July-16-2005 at 3:54pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

@ nick ward

Hi Nick

I don't think you will find any courses to suit your needs, but you might do as I did. One year ago I was a total newbie. I comtacted a professional photographer and he gave me a course in general photography. I explained what I wanted to learn, and then showed up with my equipment. Then I learned about white balance, apperture, shutter speed and so on. I was a great help, and much more valuable then reading books (trut me I have tried both)

I also too a course in Photoshop for photographers. I must say that some photoshop skills are essential if you want to produce good panoramas.

But remember. You don't really learn until you try it you self :o)

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improwe

Message posted by nick ward on July-19-2005 at 4:16pm
View nick ward's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by nick ward Search   Quote nick ward Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
nick ward
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
July-16-2005
5 Posts

Thanks for all you replies. I have splashed out on a D70 plus a sigma  an agnos rotator!

Message posted by smooth on July-20-2005 at 2:56am
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Smart Move!

Just remember to leave that iP*x stuff alone!

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by phoenixrising on July-21-2005 at 12:34pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hi Nick,

welcome to the forum. As has been said, you'll be able to pick up most of the required skills by trial and error and by having a lot of your questions answered here on the froum. Everyone here started off as a novice and everybody has benefitted from the broad knowledge base and helpful contributers found here.

If you do want a course on useing PW/TW the cam ur useing... then you may want to drop me a line. I've given training to a number of budding pano photographers and may be able to assist.

Anyhow... all the best and we look forward to seeing some of your work in the future.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register