Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Kaidan Pano Heads Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by fdutton on July-29-2005 at 10:52am
View fdutton's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fdutton Search   Visit fdutton's Homepage www   Quote fdutton Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fdutton
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-29-2005
4 Posts

I'm trying to decide on a pano head for use w/ Canon 20D and PanoWeaver as well as other pano software so I can use either fisheye or standard lens shooting as either landscape or protrait images.

I note that there has been some mention of panoramic heads in the posts, but nothing about Kaidan - the one I'm most considering.  Specifically the QuickPan IV with the Spherical Camera Bracket w/ Universal Camera Mount at about US $ 530.  http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=43

Has anyone had experience with this head?  Anyone know anything about it - good?  bad?  Any comparisons to other heads? 

I also looked at the Nodal Ninja at US $ 120. through the link on the EasyPano website - http://www.nodalninja.com/.  While it looks like a real bargain, I wonder if it's too cheap and not really up to the job.  Also, it appears from the picture to work only with portrait shooting and not suitable for landscape shots.  Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

-------------
Don't leave home without it... your camera!

Message posted by smooth on July-29-2005 at 11:07am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Landscape is not the correct way to use Panoweaver. Panoweaver and Digital SLR are designed to be shot in "Drum" (Taller than it is wide) format in portrait mode.

The Kaidan product has in the past been mentioned here in fact I own one! But after using a professional Agnos www.agnos.com MrotatorTCPS it doesn't see the light of day. Another thing was the service and response time from Kaidan was absolutely hopeless. Also the Kaidan Spherical bracket does not work well with fisheye lenses as it does not clear the FOV in any position. Not a recommended choice in my eyes. 

The Nodal Ninja is a very good product for the price, though the updated release is worth waiting for (I believe August has been mentioned for it's release!) If you are using a camera that is light weight it is a very good proposition (See accepted camera listing as some cameras are not suitable). If you are using a DSLR it would be wise to wait for the improvements.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by fdutton on July-29-2005 at 5:35pm
View fdutton's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fdutton Search   Visit fdutton's Homepage www   Quote fdutton Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fdutton
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-29-2005
4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the Kaidan head.  I may opt for the updated Nodal Ninja when it comes out (supposedly Aug. 15). Since I shoot with a release cord, it should do fine with my camera (Canon 20D w/ Sigma 8mm) and that camera is listed as one that works w/ Nodal Ninja.  I've looked at the Agnos site and find it a bit confusing as to what I would need and how much it would be... I want something that will shoot portrait and landscape and cubic/spherical and work with the Canon 20D and the Sigma 8mm as well as Sigma 17-35mm and Sigma 28-105mm so I can use it for whatever I want to do with it.

I do understand that the Panoweaver is supposed to be used with the drum fisheyes shot in portrait mode.  However, I found that the stitching was much easier with seamless and better results received when I used the landscape mode. I didn't try a top shot, but think it would adequately fill the fairly small "hole" at the top if I do while working with the landscape mode.

Additionally, there is a severe problem in using portrait mode in a larger area.  Since you are limited to 4 shots (for horizon) if you are in a  rectangular room (somewhat longer than wide and it isn't very wide) the portrait mode doesn't get the full length as well as the landscape does.  Anyway, I found it worked great for me and may be an option others may wish to try, if they haven't.

-------------

Message posted by smooth on July-30-2005 at 1:11am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The Nodal Ninja does not allow the camera to swing the 90 degrees required to shoot either the up or down shot as the centre post is not tall enough to allow for clearance. The next release should fix this issue. Also the Nodal Ninja just like the Agnos MrotatorTCPS requires you shoot in portrait mode. The correct Agnos panohead for your set up is the MrotatorTCP with this you can use either style of lens.

Shooting portrait mode will have no effect on small or large rooms/area's. Once the nodal point is set correctly things will fall into place for you. Would you like to share your results shot in landscape mode?

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on July-30-2005 at 10:27am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I see that AGNOS has updated their website to now include English version.  Smooth, if you had anything to do with this effort... Thanks.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on July-30-2005 at 12:11pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Dave,

No wasn't me mate!

There has been a "part" English version for sometime now. Agnos knows I'm happy to help whenever it's needed. It will be great when the whole site has a full English version and a shopping cart. For the moment though adding Paypal has been a good step forward.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by fdutton on July-30-2005 at 12:57pm
fdutton
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
July-29-2005
4 Posts

Smooth... Thanks for the invitation to share my results... and your apparent interest!

Please see  http://www.toledo-bend.com/panotest.html 

I have posted Quicktime movies there as well as other info about the shots.  I put 2 of my test shots... one in a pickup truck - not too good, but for the quick test purpose I had in mind, it was informative in that I see I can get a decent shot in a VERY tight space. 

I tried posting the PanoViewer shots... there is definitely something I don't understand about that.  I even put up the HTML page they generated in the Panoweaver software - to no avail.  It also appears that the file names cannot be changed... not very convenient and, if I might add, not very professional. 

-------------

Message posted by smooth on July-30-2005 at 1:37pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Thank you for the look.

Yes, Forum member "Spinem" was shooting panorama's this way some time back.

Your results are ok for someone just starting out. You will note you have quite a large hole both top and bottom. This will be reduced to virtually nothing shooting 4 shots in "Portrait" mode. (Actually I shoot this way more often then not and just patch the joins/seams and clone the tripod out in Photoshop rather then shooting an up and down shot).

With the Java applet version that you do not have working you need to upload "everything" Panoweaver places in the folder "as is" but not the folder itself. Note: If you are using a Unix server you MUST rename the Scene "Folder" to scene (all other files stay the same and untouched)

You CAN rename your files this is done before hitting the publish button. Manually changing after the fact is also possible. Say you would like to change the name from pano0 to pickup_truck you can so long as you change the file to match the .html and the .html to the file.

I got no result with your picture gallery URL! I will try again tomorrow.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by BigGreenFurryTh on August-03-2005 at 10:32am
View BigGreenFurryTh's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by BigGreenFurryTh Search   Visit BigGreenFurryTh's Homepage www   Quote BigGreenFurryTh Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
BigGreenFurryTh
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
January-07-2005
49 Posts
If you have the money go for a 360 Precision head. The product quality is excellent although the service is a little errratic as these guys are new to business and, I think, a little overwhelemd by the response to their product.

I use a 360 Precision head with my 20D and Canon 15mm. With practice, on-site set up takes seconds and shooting mere minutes which saves me hours when stitching later.

Mark

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register