Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Car pano shooting help needed. Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by makpatel on August-15-2005 at 12:19am
View makpatel's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by makpatel Search   Visit makpatel's Homepage www   Quote makpatel Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
makpatel
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
August-08-2005
47 Posts

i all,

can anyone guid me takig car pano shoot ?

I do have

Nikon D100
Sigma 8mm F4 FishEye
ManFrotto 303 SPH Pano-Head
ManFrotto 756B Tripod

-------------
Nikon D100 | Sigma 8mm F4 FishEye | ManFrotto 303 SPH Pano-Head | ManFrotto 756B Tripod

MAK Patel
Technology Enthu
www.vox360.in

Message posted by marktold on August-15-2005 at 2:38am
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

Nut much different then any other pano.

Look for a place in the car where you have a good view on whatever you want on the picture.

Set up your tripod stable. And take pictures with timer. Otherwise your body weight will effect your tripod setup.

Just go out there and try.

Again: Good panos come from experience - Experience comes from bad panos.

Regards Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by makpatel on August-15-2005 at 3:34am
View makpatel's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by makpatel Search   Visit makpatel's Homepage www   Quote makpatel Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
makpatel
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
August-08-2005
47 Posts

gr8 markus..

i have tested and output came good reasonable. needs practice on good car with good daylight.

thanks

-------------
Nikon D100 | Sigma 8mm F4 FishEye | ManFrotto 303 SPH Pano-Head | ManFrotto 756B Tripod

MAK Patel
Technology Enthu
www.vox360.in

Message posted by RotoPix on August-19-2005 at 8:14pm
View RotoPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RotoPix Search   Visit RotoPix's Homepage www   Quote RotoPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RotoPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-11-2004
79 Posts
We produced a spherical pano of not only the car interior from between the 2 front seats (for a radio station), but with people in it... The driver (a local DJ) and passenger (his on-air assistant) appeared to be carrying on a conversation and making eye contact in the pano. (Note: this is a 2-shot method. 3 shots require a slightly different method).

I positioned the tripod over the center console slightly forward of the seats, adjusting the leg lengths and angles until level and solidly placed. Lens height is approximately eye-level with the occupants.

The first shot was taken with the lens aimed 90 degrees to the right (toward the passenger side window). The passenger door is closed for this shot, but the driver's side door is open such that I have access to the camera. Once the right side and passenger Hemi is captured, I close the driver's door and run around the car and open the passenger door where I can then reach in and rotate the camera 180 degrees to capture the other side and the driver. Obviously the seam bisects the vehicle down the center.

The pano turned out great and the people in the shot really brought it to life. Just don't get too close to their faces or they'll complain about the extra 10 pounds their noses gained

Cheers,
Brian Jackson

Message posted by RuddersUK on August-20-2005 at 7:08am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Can we have a link to check it out? Sounds good that one brian!

Message posted by VT360 on August-20-2005 at 1:28pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts
having people in the car is good b/c they can hold the tripod while you run around the car. and also, when you close the doors the tripod will shift or fall, so the people are good assistants.

Message posted by bdewoody on August-22-2005 at 4:16pm
View bdewoody's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by bdewoody Search   Visit bdewoody's Homepage www   Quote bdewoody Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
bdewoody
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-22-2005
2 Posts

Here's a pano of a Volkswagen Touareg I put together a few weeks ago.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2107691

The lighting is the main concern, I would park the car in the shade or somewhere not is direct sunlight.  Otherwise you'll get huge differences in brightness from one image to the next.  The easiest place to set the tripod is to put one leg in each rear foot well, the put the third leg straight back resting on the rear seat.  You can try to keep the door directly behind the camera open to allow more light to come in. 

Another trouble spot is editting out the tripod.  I managed to do it, but it's pretty obvious on the rear seat. 

Let me know what you think of the pano? 

Message posted by 360texas on August-22-2005 at 4:49pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Interior car lighting is a good topic.

Here is a tip:

Take very large white bedding sheets and drape them over the outside of the windows.  This will block the view and also offer disbused lighting for the interior.

Take your 4 shots (or how many you need) and stitch them.

Then open your completed car interior panorama in Photoshop. 

Make a duplicate background

Deselect the original background so that you will not see it while erasing the windows

Erase carefully all the glass area (showing the white sheet).  The car interior windows now should be black holes.  Zoom in to 300 % and erase around the driver mirror and each side mirror and any other detailed area you need to keep.

Save the layered file as a .psd

Open another panorama say taken downtown with other cars on the street.

Now you should have 2 panoramas open- cars/street  and car interior. Both panoramas should be the same physical dimensions like 1500 x 3000 pixels.

With the Move Arrow Tool selected,  Mouse click the cars/street pano and mouse drag it across to the Car Interior pano.  This will place the cars/street pano on a new layer probably above the the car interior pano.

Drag the the cars/street pano layer below the car interior layer.  Now you should be able to SEE the Cars/street pano through the car windows all the way around.

You might need to do some window edge clean up.

Save it as a layered .psd file. 

Then Flatten the layered psd file and SAVE AS an uncompressed BMP file.

Renowned VR photogrpaher Mark Told in Zurich Switzerland showed us how to do this sometime in the past.  When you get to his page click on the same car.. different locations using the left side drop down menu that says "Wahlen Sie eine Panorama" he has the same car at a  golf course, downtown Zurich and other neat places.

Markus is exceptionally talented and a great photographer.

http://www.panoramas.ch/panoramas/navigator.aspx

Enjoy !

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register