Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: D70 Nikon 10.5 and Agnos TCP Short Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by 360texas on August-18-2005 at 6:24pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Gen. Lee was kind enough to call me on the phone today.

He found he gets excellent results when he sets his Agnos Kit Mrotator TCP Short and Nikon d70 with Nikkor 10.5 settings to

Left to Right at 40mm and

Forward/ Backward to 13mm.

Thank you Troy was great talking with you this afternoon.  When you get your website back up.. hollar we would like to see some of your great work.

Yes, I did forward you setting to Nigel in the UK by email immediately after you called.  NOTE:  Nigel ALSO had his vertical bracket installed backwards.  This prevented him for reaching Gen. Lee's bracket setting.   You would think a photo of the properly assembled bracket would have helped.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-18-2005 at 11:07pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Dave,

Glad to help out.

After I talked to you I photographed my set up and included some simple instructions on setting the nodal point.

The information is located at:

http://www.northwestflorida.com/nodal_point/

There are two links on the page to information on how to manually set the nodal point.

After setting the rotator I locked it down "real tight". I never disassemble the bracket from the rotator head for fear of loosing the point. You can take off the small or verticle rotator at the top but I don't remove the quick release from the are either.

I am interested to know if these settings will work for other people using this set up.

I was thinking that Agnos could/should put a specific mark on the brackets for the Nikkor lens and the sigma lens. This would surely make it easier for others to easily set the nodal point. These two lenses are so popular and many people use the Nikon D70/s that I think it would be a great improvment to the rotator. In fact, this could be done for the 20d+sigma as well. The bracket could come with 3 etched marks all corresponding to either the 20D+sigma or the D70+ nikkor10.5  or sigma.

Hope this helps out

Gen. Lee

Message posted by marktold on August-18-2005 at 11:42pm
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

Gen. Lee

Just some comments on your post and page.

Right Agnos could set a mark for 8 + 10.5 mm. But then again I think at least on the sigma 8 mm the golden ring on the lens is the nodel point to lign up.

Marks on the bracket would not be good for some use quick release some don't.

Also I noticed that on your page you mentioned that Z axis is 13 mm. Its actually 16mm where your mark is (each mark is 2mm)

Also if your 10.5 mm lens has the nodal point on the golden ring as well, should the camera not be a bit more back. Now you have it on the end of front screw and not on center of rotation.

Do you take 6 pictures with your lens or do you need 6 + 2.

And do you have your sun shade (did not know what to call it) on when taking pictures, and does this prevent much lens flare?

Yours truly

Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-19-2005 at 12:53am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Marktold,

LOL you are right. I can't count. Thanks for catching that mistake. I will update the page.

The gold ring is not the nodal point. The nodal point is located 3-4 mm behind the ring. Dave clued me in on that one. I was actually trying to show where the lens should line up with the rotator. It just so happens that when set up correctly the ring should line up with the bolt and that should put the nodal point over the center or rotation.

To get top and bottom you need to take 6  images + top + bottom. You can just take 6 horizontal and limit the FOV in the viewer. I have dont that before when I just wanted to make a quicker shot. You can get a different mount from Agnos and shoot 4  plus top and bottom. I don't have the mount yet but plan to get one soon.

The sun shade on the lens does not come off. It is part of the lens. I haven't had any lens flare problems with the lens at all.

I sure hope Nigel read this page before he goes on his photo shoot tommorow. I am so sorry for the mistake. Thanks again for catching that one

Gen. Lee

Message posted by marktold on August-19-2005 at 1:32am
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

@gen. Lee

Thanks for clearing it up that on the 10.5 the golden ring is not the nodel but 3-4 mm behind.

I use a 8 mm sigma with my Nikon D70. I guess I would have to try out a 10.5 mm to see if the better quality makes up for taking 6 + 2 shots instead of 4.

More time and I assume also more margin of error.

Can you link me to some of your panos so I can look at the quality you are getting. Since I got the same panohead as Nigel I can always buy an extra lens without problems.

Regards Markus

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

Message posted by 360texas on August-19-2005 at 9:25am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

FIRST - I thank Markus and Gen. Lee (Troy) for saving Nigels panorama project from disaster.  Thank you.

As Markus suggested, Nigel did reverse his vertical bracket and he sent me an email this morning saying he used the Battery test to determine the 10.5 nodal point rather than using the 16 and 40 measurements.  He confirmed that the NP appears to be 4mm behind the gold ring.

He also mentioned that he will send links to some pano's soon.  In turn, I will post them here.

2nd,  Troy your demo page with all the D70 and Nikkor 10.5 nodal point imaging should be made a permanent resource URL.  It appears you used your lens macro settings for the imaging.  Great Work !

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by marktold on August-19-2005 at 10:35am
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

There is another question.

I have seen this befor that the quick release is mounted on the bracket with the release handle on top.

Like this you would have the part on the camera rather square then aligned with the body of the camera. Also it seems to me that if you turn both parts 90 degree so your release handle would look to the back of the camera you would have more space for your fingers to open shot the quick release.

Also when you hold you camera in the hand it looks more natural since the body is just about as wide as the quick release part mounted to the camera.

Sorry its kind of hard to explain in a foreign language. But I guess you will figure out what I try to say.

Regard Markus

-------------

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-19-2005 at 6:33pm
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Marktold,

The quick realease mount can not be mounted this way. It must be mounted with the release handle on top or on bottom. The hex bolt I refer to on the nodal point page is not flush with the quick release. It is elevated of the mount by about 2-3mm. This prevents the quick release from mounting flush against the top arm if it is mounted toward the back.

I inspected my camera and it looks like it could be rotated to the back but I don't think there will be enough distance between the hex bolt and the edge of the arm to keep it at the proper position.

When finding the nodal point for the first time it is necessary to move the quick release mount forward and back and to do this it must be clear of the arm. So it must be on the top or bottom.

The part that mounts to the camera is oriented as you say but there is no other way to mount it.

I will post a link to some examples of panos made with my set up in a couple days

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-19-2005 at 7:27pm
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Here are a few images made with my set up.

The most difficlut thing to do in 6 shot is to get the top and bottom to blend correctly. Still working on that one...

http://northwestflorida.com/360/dow_estate/qtvr/pano1.html

http://northwestflorida.com/360/mediterranea/living_room_4000.html

http://northwestflorida.com/360/mediterranea/master_4000.html

These images are not perfect. There are some stitching errors. But you have to really look for them. I have berrer examples taken recently that I will post as well.

By the way. Do not relevel your shot each time. First it causes problems if you do it. Second Agnos sais not to as explained the rotators manual.

MrotatorTCPshort manual - http://northwestflorida.com/360/mrotator_tcp_eng.pdf

Gen. Lee

Message posted by marktold on August-23-2005 at 9:59am
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

@Gen Lee.

Since I use the Sigma 8mm my setup is different then yours and therefor my quickrelease is mounted back enough to fit it squere, as you can see on this image

So that's the reason why you put it portrait, rather then landscape.

Regads Markus

-------------

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register