Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: 3 shots with nikor 10.5 or sigma 8mm? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by WideEyes on August-19-2005 at 7:04pm
View WideEyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by WideEyes Search   Visit WideEyes's Homepage www   Quote WideEyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
WideEyes
Standard Member
Standard Member
Denmark
April-15-2005
57 Posts

Hi everybody

I currently own a setup existing of a CP8700 + FC-E9.

I have thought about upgrading in order to improve quality in my panos. However I have been reluctant as I want to keep the quicker workflow of only 3 shots panos. It was my understanding that with both the Nikor 10.5mm and Sigma 8mm I would need at least 4 shots. But then I read a new thread where Rudders wrote:

"As the sigma is only a 180 lens i would recommend you use at least 3 hemi's (120 intervals)"

Am I to understand that it is possible to make 3 shot panos with the Sigma lens?? Also would that improve the quality of my panos significally compared with my present setup?? If any one out there have any exampels of a 3 shot pano with the sigma or nikor I would love to see it.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-19-2005 at 8:29pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi WideEyes,

It is not possible to do a 3 shot pano with the Nikkor 10.5 or the Sigma 8mm. Both of these lenses are for DSLR cameras. The size of the CCD will not produce a full circular image (except for the MarkII). The Sigma produces a "drum" image and the Nikkor produces a "full frame fisheye"

See this link at easypano.com - http://easypano.com/product_32_155.html#2

and this link - http://easypano.com/product_32_147.html

Gen. Lee

Message posted by WideEyes on August-19-2005 at 9:10pm
View WideEyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by WideEyes Search   Visit WideEyes's Homepage www   Quote WideEyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
WideEyes
Standard Member
Standard Member
Denmark
April-15-2005
57 Posts

Hi Gen.lee

Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by smooth on August-21-2005 at 1:28pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The camera being spoken about in multiple threads is a Canon 1Ds MKII full frame 16MP CMOS Sensor (Not CCD).

Canon uses CMOS Sensor's (in all Canon DSLR camera's) because the technology is better and allows for higher megapixels and CMOS does not attract dust like a (Charged Coupled Device)

Canon to date have only offered two models that are full frame the first being the 1Ds 11.1MP and the second being the 1Ds MKII 16MP

If you fit a Sigma 8mm Fisheye to these cameras you will get a full circular image. Thus allowing 2 or 3 shot stitching. For the best quality it would be recommended to fit a 15mm 180 degree Fisheye lens and stitch 6+2.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Gen. Lee on August-22-2005 at 12:39am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Smooth speaks the truth.

No doubt the MKII is the DREAM setup.

I use a Nikon D70 + 10.5mm and it produces most excellant results.

If you can afford it get the MKII -- its only money right Smooth LOL

But the Nikon D70s amd Cannon 20D will definitly do the job with execellant results.

Don't be afraid to do 6+2. PW does a great job in stitching.

I am improving my workflow and learning how to shoot certain scenes much better. I was afraid the 10.5mm wasn't going to work out but after some time experimenting and just shooting different jobs with this set up I am very happy.

It does take some time to get over the learning curve but once you figure it out it is no harder than doing 2/3 shot. There is a little more post production time but the results are way worth it.

Gen. Lee

Message posted by smooth on August-22-2005 at 12:31pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Gen. Lee,

Just a small point.

You really should call the camera a 1Ds MKII (16MP) "full frame sensor" because calling it a MKII it can be confused with a 1D MKII (8MP) "1.3 multiplying factor sensor" which is a completely different camera.

Your right! "It's only money"

Regards, Smooth

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register