Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Bracketing with CP 4500 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by johnfl68 on September-02-2005 at 7:42pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Any tips on Pano bracketing with the Nikon CP 4500?

Haven't played with this too much yet, but as I understand it, if you turn on the bracketing feature, then AE lock is turned off. Since the AE lock gives you the best blending along seams, it seems that you don't want to use the automatic bracketing feature, but do it in a manual fashion.

So, is the best way to take your pano set normaly with AE lock, then change to a lower exposure setting, and take another set, then change to a higher exposure setting, and take the third set. Stitch the 3 sets, and then combine the 3 sets in Photomatrix to get the best dynamic range (when needed)?

Thanks!

John

Message posted by Gen. Lee on September-02-2005 at 11:41pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi johnfl68,

"AE lock" simply locks the camera's exposure settings (shutter speed and apiture) for "ONE" exposure setting. This means that each image will be taken at this "locked" exposure so that all images will have the same exposure hence creating an image set that can be stitched making each image blend into one final pano image with the same exposure throughout.

But this assumes that you have correctly set the exposure of the scene. If you make a mistake then ALL images will be either over exposed or under exposed. Secondly if you are near a bright light source like a window or lamp that frame will be overexposed even though you are using AE lock. It is important to place your camera as close to the CENTER of the space to be photographed as possible.

You MUST use full manual settings. IF you do not things like white balance and ISO may or may not change between frames even if you are using AE lock. This depends on how your camera works. For example using shutter priority the apiture will change with each shutter speed change creating an image with the same exposure no matter what you do.

I have a coolpix 5000 and the manual setting allows complete control of every setting the camera has. Nothing changes unless I set it that way myself.

Your camera supports "Auto bracketing". This means you can select a "bracketing program". For example you can do a 3 image bracket set at 1 stop or a 2 image bracket set at 2 stops.

You are using the FC-E8 lens ( I assume). This fisheye lens takes in an entire 180 field of view. This focuses all the resolved light onto only about 60% of the ccd of the camera. Using only 60% of the ccd means the camera can not capture enough dynamic range with 2 or 3 images. Even if you use a 3 image bracket set this will probably not be enough exposure to capture enough dynamic range to get the windows or darkest areas of the scene.

It has been my experience with this lens that you will need at least a 6 image bracket set for interior shots to get the full dynamic range. Others may argue about this but that is my opinion. Exterior shots can be done without bracketing unless you are in the shade under a large tree for example. In this case a 3 image set will do nicely.

Normally if you meter the scene this lens will set an apiture of F2.8 to get all the light possible in. The FC-E8 lens has a huge depth of field so this will not cause any focus problems. If you select a smaller apiture setting it means a equal change in shutter speed. If you select a small apiture then you will end up having to do long expores to capture the darkest parts of the scene and this leads to potential problems with grainy images.

I typically do the following:

Set the camera to full manual mode.
Set the apiture to F2.8
Set the shutter speed to around 1/60.
Take a test shot
Determine if the test shot is correctly exposed for the midtones ( not darkest part or lightest part of scene but the areas that are in the middle.)
Takes test shots using shutter speed to control exposure until you get a good exposure.
If your shutter is at say 1/30 for the best test shot then start your bracket set at 3 frames above this and step down 1 stop for each bracket shot for a total of 7 frames.
You will end up with 7 images at the following exposures:
1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4

You now combine these in photomatrix and you will have a nice looking image.

Auto bracketing will only allow you to take a max of 3 frames. One at the set exposure and one above and one below ( either 1 stop, 2 stop or 1/3 stop depending on the bracketing program you chose) This is not normally enough to get the whole dynamic range so you have to do what I call manual bracketing.

Once you have determined the midtone exposure settings look at the table so you can easily select the correct shutter speed for each frame in the bracket set.

Below is an exposure table I made to help me with calculating the bracket sets.

NOTE: If using a DSLR with a full frame lens like the Nikkor 10.5 you can do 3 image bracket sets because of the lens capabilities. But when using the FC-E8 it just can't get the dynamic range needed with only 3 shots. If you intend to get the windows to expose properly you will have to do a 7 frame bracket set. If you don't care about the windows then you can get by with only a 3 frame bracket set.

Hope this helps. Where are you located in Florida? I am in Florida in the panhandle.

Gen.Lee

Message posted by johnfl68 on September-07-2005 at 10:32am
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Thanks for the info, Gen.Lee!

I'll have to try out some shots and get used to the settings and results.

Yes, I'm using the FC-E8 lens with, Agnos MrotatorA with the CP 4500.

I'm in the Orlando area, although right now I'm out of town for most of the month on another project.

Again, thanks for the information.

John

Message posted by Eddy on January-09-2006 at 6:04am
View Eddy's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Eddy Search   Visit Eddy's Homepage www   Quote Eddy Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Eddy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Netherlands
January-09-2006
9 Posts

Dear Gen Lee,

I'm using also the CP4500 with FCE8. Please look at my pano www.360mediaweb.nl/pano/pano1.html the photo's you can donwload at www.360mediaweb.nl/pano/pano1/1.jpg 2.jpg and 3.jpg.

My pano is not so sharp. Please can you explain me what you are meant with:

If your shutter is at say 1/30 for the best test shot then start your bracket set at 3 frames above this and step down 1 stop for each bracket shot for a total of 7 frames.
You will end up with 7 images at the following exposures:
1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4

You now combine these in photomatrix and you will have a nice looking image.

I do not understand de brackting!! and what do you meant with stop1 up to 7

Regards,

Eddy Vermeulen

-------------
Regards,

Eddy Vermeulen
360Mediaweb

Message posted by RuddersUK on January-09-2006 at 6:33am
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Hi John. We use the CP 4500 see (HERE)
for a few images. We have found the best way to use autobracketing is to make sure to take your bracketed shots per hemi then combine them in your HDR software, then make a pano from them. As stitching will produce ever so slightly different results every time its very difficult to combine 3 or 5 different exposure panos as they wont all line up spot on.
Hope this helps.

Message posted by VT360 on January-09-2006 at 1:14pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

the AE lock will also lock in your white balance.

Make sure you have determine the best white balance for the scene before locking it.

gen lee i set my f to about f7.0 --- however i won't  argue if your method is better! lol  you're pretty good at these stuff.

I use manual setting (manual mode) and make sure the exposure metering is right in the middle

see pic

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register