Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: TheForce??? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-03-2005 at 1:28am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi everybody

I know this have nothing to do with panoweaver, but I am getting desperate!! DO any of you out there use a program called theForce by gregory pruden with a coolpix 8700???? I can't make it work, and gregory him self have also run out of options. I need this to work to be able to make HDR panoramas by controlling the shutter from a laptop.

I really hope someone can help me

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by mediaPix on September-03-2005 at 4:23am
View mediaPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mediaPix Search   Visit mediaPix's Homepage www   Quote mediaPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mediaPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
June-19-2004
69 Posts

Hi wide eyes

Havn't heard of the force other than in Star wars but I will take a look at it. Do you have a link to the software site?

If you still don't have much luck, have you tried Nikon Capture 4? This is a dedicated capture programme for the Nikon DLSR & Coolpix cameras.

This may be of interest! I've been working with an engineer designing a Laptop table that will fit around the shaft of your existing tripod while having the ability to rotate 360. Research so far has shown no manufacturer producing anything like this but if anyone has seen such a product please give me a shout. also anyone who may find this of interest can also express their interest.

regards mediaPix

-------------

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8mm, Agnos MrotatorTShort, Photoshop CS, Panoweaver 3 & 4

Message posted by inter6300 on September-03-2005 at 5:18am
View inter6300's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by inter6300 Search   Visit inter6300's Homepage www   Quote inter6300 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
inter6300
Standard Member
Standard Member
Switzerland
December-16-2004
84 Posts
Hi MediaPix

Regarding the Laptop Shaft. Canon has a WFT-E1 Wireless Set to transmit the files direct from the Camera to the Laptop.

So this could be another option and I think, there will pop-up more wireless options soon.

regards, Markus

-------------
http://www.powertext.ch Canon 20D / Sigma 8mm / Roundshot VR-Drive

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-03-2005 at 6:55pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Mediapix

Here is a link to the software site: http://velatron.com/dca/TheForce/

It is just a small program a guy called Gregory Pruden have developed. It allows you to control the shutter of the coolpix camera from a laptop. The only problem is that I can't get it to work. I have also been in touch with Gregory, but he can't find out what is wrong either.

First I tried to follow the instructions on the web page but when it didn't work I wrote Gregory, and he said that I should download the software for step 1 at http://ascom-standards.org/downloads.html . That didn't work either. He had not tried the new version of ASCOM him self so he emailed me a old version. But unfortunately that did not help either. We have tried serveral different solutions but every time I get the error message: "Error 429......." He says that this message only appears when ASCOM is not working propperly.

I thought that it might be due to my operation system (XP Home), or perhaps because I have no com port and therefore use an usb adapter. But I have now tried it at 3 different computers with 2 different operations systems, and also one where there actually is a com port. I have even had a friend who work as a program developer to help me, but nothing helps. Can you understand my frustration?? I you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!!!

Regarding Nikon Capture 4 I have read about it but I can't find any information that I can control my Coolpix 8700 woth the program. As far as I understand it is only possible to control DSLR cameras with the software. It is only possible to edit pictures taken with the 8700. Have you had any experience using the software to control the camera via a laptop??

I have talked to the danish devision of Nikon and they say that there is no solution available that allows me to remotely control the shutter :o(

Regarding the laptop table I know that the camera setup spheron provide fore their HDR imaging solutions include a laptop table.

Again any suggestion on how to get it to work will be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by smooth on September-04-2005 at 1:31pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Morten,

Mate, I feel for your frustration.

I have purchased a serial cable and it has just arrived from the USA. Now I have to do the very same thing as you and try and get this program working. (Though I will connect to a Coolpix 5000). The download link to the ASCOM Initiative Components does not work from his web page so I also have downloaded the new (much larger) version 4.1 I believe. (Maybe I will need the older version?)

I will crank up my laptop now and see if I can get a result.

BTW, why don't you simple use a remote control for your shutter release for HDR? I do and they work great.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on September-04-2005 at 2:09pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

OK,

Just installed and cabled up and everything worked first time no problem.

Here are the steps I followed.

• Got my Coolpix 5000 out and made sure I have set it to "BULB"
  • Checked the camera settings and made sure "auto shutdown" was set to 30 Minutes.
  • Connected serial cable to Com Port 1
  • Connected camera to serial cable
  • Turned computer on from off (completely shut down)
  • Installed ASCOM Initiative Components Version 4.1 (Software)
  • Made sure I had the windows security patch November 2001
  • Rebooted computer
  • Installed "The Force" .msi (Software)
  • Overwrote the "The Force" .exe (Software File) with the latest version as recommended. (Browsed to Program Files>The Force) then copied "theforce.exe" and pasted into the same directory. When asked if I wished to overwrite I said yes!
  • Open the software "theforce.exe" by double clicking and when opened made sure my camera was still on and clicked "Connect" and bingo it worked like a dream. :)

I set a little test run 3 shoots at .125 Sec every 30 seconds and watched it do it's job.

I hope this helps you out Morten or anybody else trying to play with this neat little program.

Now I'm off to play some more with "bracketing"

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by smooth on September-04-2005 at 2:16pm
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Just a footnote:

I can't see myself carrying around a laptop to shoot panorama's with this set up. Though it would work very well. There is no benefit that I can see over using the Nikon corded remote MC-EU1 for the Nikon Coolpix range.

Maybe I will find a reason? We will see...

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-05-2005 at 3:40am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Smooth

Thank you for sharing. I will definately try your approach later today. I keep my fingers crossed and hope it will work!

About the remote cord. I use the timer in stead. My problem is that if I use the remote control I still have to change the exposure manually, and therefore risk to shake the camera.......

I will let you know how it went using your approach.

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-05-2005 at 5:04am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

GOT DAM!!!!!!!

Hi Smooth. I just tried it your way. But....... still absolutely nothing happens. Now the program (TheForce) is not responding when I try to connect. This was my procedure:

1) I set my camera to BULB10M

2) Connected camera to serial cable

3 Turned computer on from off

4) downloaded ASCOM

5 installed ASCOM

6) Restarted the computer

7) Downloaded The Force under step 2  the:Windows ME, 2000, XP - Download (v1.5MB) (minimal requirement)

8) installed the program

9 Downloaded the latest version I found under the Q&A: .

The com port is not changing what am I doing wrong?
A.
Nothing, This bug was fixed in Build 10 available here (replace your existing theForce.exe with this one. You cannot just use this exe as you must first install the program from step 2 above.

10) I copied it, and pasted it in the TheForce directory (Program-Theforce) and said YES to replacing it.

11) I opened the program and hit "connect"

12) No responce

NOTING HAPPEND :o(

Any suggestion on what I might have been doing wrong?

Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on September-05-2005 at 5:05am
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

@ smooth

By the way. When I connect the camera to the computer my small screen goes black, I suppose this is normal??

Best regards

Morten

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register