Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: HDR Image What Next? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by adavis2 on September-14-2005 at 10:18pm
View adavis2's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by adavis2 Search   Quote adavis2 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
adavis2
Standard Member
Standard Member

September-12-2005
46 Posts
i used photomatrix to create the HDR image, it looks a bit strange, but when i use the little "viewer" that pops up it looks excellent.  What do i do with this file? I'm sure i save it to use elsewhere, but how? i tried saving as .tiff but i couldn't open it with photoshop. any ideas?

Message posted by emarts on September-15-2005 at 9:01am
View emarts's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by emarts Search   Visit emarts's Homepage www   Quote emarts Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
emarts
Gold Member
Gold Member

June-08-2005
188 Posts

Are you generating the HDR image or are you using the Exposure Blend method?

I'm no expert, just experimenting with it myself. With HDR you can't just save it as a tiff -- well I suppose you could, but Photoshop wouldn't be able to use it. Anyway, on the menu, click HDRI and select Tone Mapping. Here you can adjust the image to your liking and save a lower dynamic range image that you can open in Photoshop.

You'll have to do a lot of experimentation to get something you like. And the preview image is not necessarily what you'll end up with (that's just dumb, why bother?). But with practice and trial & error, you can acheive really good results.

On the other hand, I find that most of my images come out just fine with Exposure Blending. I then bump the saturation up a bit in Photoshop.

Hope tyhis helps.

Message posted by Gen. Lee on September-15-2005 at 1:15pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

After you generate the HDR image you have to apply "tone mapping". It is in the same menu as HDRI. You will then get an image you can save as BMP or TIFF.

You should read the help file that comes with Photomatrix. It has clear instructions on how to use HDRI.

Also you should read the FAQ located here
http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html

If you read these documents your questions will be answered.

Gen. Lee

Message posted by eagle on September-20-2005 at 10:22am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for the question but I can't seem to figure out this program even after reading the their FAQ. Most of that stuff just went over my head.

Gen.Lee, what is your recommended procedure?

What are your recommended settings for HDR & Tone Mapping?

I'm hoping I can get an idea what parameters I really need to adjust to get at least an acceptable result.

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by emarts on September-20-2005 at 10:54am
View emarts's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by emarts Search   Visit emarts's Homepage www   Quote emarts Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
emarts
Gold Member
Gold Member

June-08-2005
188 Posts
When I leave the settings at their default I get decent results. I have found that even small changes to the settings affect the image quite a bit. You really need to set some time aside to just experiment with all the settings to find something that's acceptable to you. Like you, the information on their website was over my head.

But for the majority of my images, using explosure blending and bumping the saturation in Photoshop has been the way to go for me.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register