Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: quality improvement for images Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by phoenixrising on November-02-2005 at 2:12pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

hi,

i tested something I've seen here a few times when it comes to image size improvement. I tried steping down from my stiched image size of eg. 4000x2000 in 3-4 steps. ie i have stiched image and run it through Noise ninja which does some sharpening and noise reduction. i save this bmp image as final step of my post stiching PS work.

i then reduced the image size to 3000, did 20 unsharp mask, resized again to 2000 and did 20% unsharp mask, reduced to my final image size of 1508x754px and did another 48% unsharp mask.

try this with a pano of ur own and also just step down once with the same pano and compare. I think u'll find the results... rewarding.

will post comparison later.

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by 360texas on November-03-2005 at 8:44am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

ok I will try this

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on November-04-2005 at 6:34pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Yes this it the way to do it.

I hit the image first with a 50% sharpen at 4000x2000

Go to 3000 wide and sharpen at 15%

Then 2500 at 10-15%

It depends on the amount of tonal range in the image. Be careful. If the image has a lot of definition in tonal range it can make the image too contrasty.

But this works with all images and is the way to size down.

If you take stills at fine setting with a D70 the image is 3008x2000. If you wack the image down to 500 wide in one step the results arent great. Hitting it with big sharpen at this size will just make the image very contrasty.

General Lee.

Message posted by phoenixrising on November-06-2005 at 8:06pm
View phoenixrising's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by phoenixrising Search   Quote phoenixrising Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
phoenixrising
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-16-2003
974 Posts

Hi there General Lee,

thanks for this tip by the way. I'd seen the post about this yonks ago and never really got round to try it until recently. It does actually seem to work rather well and I tend to get a better image as a result.

so once more big thanks... (I just could not recal was was the one with that tip)

-------------
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.

Message posted by VT360 on November-30-2005 at 3:49pm
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

does anybody have a comparision of

the one bang resizing vs the multiple step downs with unsharpen

one bang = goes from orginal to around 400kb at 72 dpi

multiple step downs = also ends at around 400kb at 72 pdi

i reckon creating an action will be the best to process the images once

youre happy with the end results.

Message posted by Thomas on December-03-2005 at 2:44am
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
Here is the final solution from Ken Turkowski for all command-line geeks, and it works great:

Sizimg

Images can be resized with the use of the command-line tool sizimg. Tests have shown that the quality resulting from sizimg surpasses that of any other commercially available software.

sizimg is a UNIX-style command-line tool to be used on the Macintosh using the Terminal application, or in the Command Prompt window on Windows. As a command-line tool, it has no user interface, but it can be very powerful when incorporated into scripts. In particular, it can be used in shell scripts to batch process images.

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on January-31-2006 at 10:25pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi All

I am sorry for continuing this thread, but I believe that the better I understand why and how certain procedures works, the better I will be a producing panoramas.

I have now tried resizing a couple of images in a couple of steps and unsharpen after each step. I must say that I am impressed that it actually improves the quality that much. My questions are:

1) is it so that the more steps you take when rezising the better?? would 5 steps from 4000x2000 to 2000x1000 be better then 3 steps??

2) @ gen lee. Why do you start at 50% unsharp?? and not e.g. 75%?? And why do you go down to 15% unsharp the next couple of steps?? I assume it is to keep the quality as good a possible, but honestly I can't see the difference in my images after just 1 step, that is why I ask. I just want to be sure that I am doing it the best way :o)

Best regards

morten Andersen 

A newbie trying to improve 

Message posted by fatchai on January-31-2006 at 11:16pm
View fatchai's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fatchai Search   Visit fatchai's Homepage www   Quote fatchai Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fatchai
Standard Member
Standard Member
Hong Kong
June-16-2005
24 Posts

one question: if i want to create a full screen qtvr file ( say 1024x512) what size should i  down size to ? My original file is around 4300 x 2200 ...i tried both 3000x1500 and 2000x1000 before ... For the first one, the output qtvr file size seem too big. For the second one, the pix seem blur (not enough pixel).

is there any rules to follow?

tks fatchai

Message posted by smooth on February-01-2006 at 1:04am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

For full screen it is recommended that you resize your image to no smaller than 4000x2000 you then compress as hard as possible without any real notice to the human eye. This typically is at around 70 in the quality setting (but can very depending on colour information) A fullscreen panorama should come in at around 2.2MB or smaller if done correctly. You certainly will not get under 800kb with any sort of quality.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by fatchai on February-01-2006 at 4:33am
View fatchai's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by fatchai Search   Visit fatchai's Homepage www   Quote fatchai Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
fatchai
Standard Member
Standard Member
Hong Kong
June-16-2005
24 Posts

thank you smooth for your answer... 2.2M seen quit big for download. but many times i can see full screen qtvr file from diff websites that their file was between 1.3M to1.6M. And the quality are quit good too. How can thy generate such small file with high quality?

tks 

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register