Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: canon 5d Fisheye adapter 8mm Sigma Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by axelv on November-11-2005 at 12:16pm
View axelv's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by axelv Search   Quote axelv Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
axelv
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-09-2005
7 Posts

Hello guys.  I found a company that offers a Canon to Nikon adapter for  Canon 5D for full frame fisheyes.  My question is Can I use the Sigma 8mm on this camera for 3 fisheye stitching with panoweaver.  My question is who is using this setup and what Head can I use that is Nodal point ready for this setup.

Thanks in advance

Message posted by 360texas on November-11-2005 at 12:58pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I disregarded your other thread on same topic.

When you buy a Sigma 8 specify a Canon mount.  When they ship it should already fit without an additional adapter.  It worked fine with our Canon 20d with the EFS mount.  I did read that the Canon 5d only uses EF lens type mounts.  So when you order the Sigma 8 make sure you specify the EF mount.

ONLY ISSUE -  When you are in the camera shop ask the sales rep to mount it on your camera before you buy the Sigma.  The lens AND camera have CPU's that talk to each other.  The gold signal contacts on the lens and camera must match AND the Canon camera uses a control access PIN code that is sent to the lens that when recognized says that that Sigma has paid for the license fee for that lens. 

Sounds silly but if the camera does not recognize the Sigma 8 lens.. then the lens is rendered manual and the F-Stop, Aperature size, shutter speed must be set manually.  The values will not be displayed on the cameras LCD.  In other words the lens will not be automatic.

We use the Canon 20d.  Our sales rep tested out our Sigma 8  and it performed automatically. (apparantly fees were paid).

How does the full circle Sigma 8 image fit on the Canon 5d ?  Don't know have not had the opportunity to find out.

Best would be to discuss it with your camera shop sales rep.  That way if something does not work.. you can always return the lens.

Just a thought on the matter

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by axelv on November-11-2005 at 2:29pm
View axelv's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by axelv Search   Quote axelv Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
axelv
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-09-2005
7 Posts

Thanks Dave.  The Canon 20D is not full frame CMOS correct? Therefore I cannot get full circular images.  So using the 5d or Kodak DCS full frame I can take full circular fisheyes to stitch 3.  Do you recommend the Peace River Head or what head would be best for this setup?

Thanks for your input

Message posted by 360texas on November-11-2005 at 4:32pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I have not yet checked the camera size dimensions for the 5d. Never looked at the Kodak.   But I would think that a pan head with adjustable left to right and forward / backward adjustment will work just fine.  You are going to have to calibrate pan head, camera and lens anyway.

A 3 or more click stop and head quick leveler will make your life easier.  Agnos Pan Heads comes to mind.  Kingpano is another.  And then of course there is the Kaidan.  Then there is that one that is tailor made just for your camera/ lens ---- its really expensive $10k. hmm forgot the name.

True.. the 20d is not a full frame sensor.  We use a old Kaidan Kiwi990 pan head.  It only works because the 20d body dimensions are the same as the Nikon Coolpix 990 (out of service now).

If we upgraded to the 12mpxl Canon 5d we would have to retro fit our Sigma 8 and buy a new pan head. I have not seen images from a 5d yet so not sure if its worth the upgrade.  All our imaging content is sized for broadband and the 20d seems suitable.  Not sure we would have any benifit going to a 12mpl camera yet.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Thomas on November-11-2005 at 6:55pm
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
The Kodak full frame is only ok for controlled illumination in the studio, but it's an "old" camera, better get the 5D when there are enough bodies for sale (and the price is going down).

Examples from the 5D+15mm fisheye can be found at www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/canon5dworkflow, and they stitch very nice with automated control points in PTGui to a pano with 12000x6000 px...

The choice of software is up to you...

Message posted by smooth on November-12-2005 at 12:10am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

The optimum set up for speed and ease of stitch is the Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm Fisheye. This is best fitted to an Agnos MrotatorTCPS on top of a sturdy quality tripod. You will shoot 3 shots in rotation and stitch with Panoweaver 4.0 in Circular Fisheye mode.

Too up the image quality you would use the Canon 5D and either Canon 15mm Fisheye or Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens. This is best fitted to an Agnos MrotatorTCPS on top of a sturdy quality tripod. You will shoot 4 images in rotation and one up shot. (Down optional) and stitch with Panoweaver 4.0 in Full Frame mode. Using the MrotatorTCPS will allow you to use the 90 degree up and down shots and these would be shot in the last position of rotation (position 4). The MrotatorTCPS is best suited because no matter what lens you are using circular fisheye, full frame fisheye or reticular, all can be fitted. Not to mention you can upgrade you camera body without having to upgrade your Panorama Head. The Agnos MrotatorTCPS can be ordered directly from www.agnos.com delivery is normally 10 days standard or 3 days express.

A very good majority here on this forum use Agnos products with great success.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by simon on November-12-2005 at 7:25am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

As others have stated get a canon mount Sigma 8mm for a Canon body or a Nikon mount Sigma 8mm for a Nikon body, same price.
I have a 5d, Sigma 8mm (Nikon mount) and adaptor rings and I've yet to make a pano with it as it's the only nikon mount lens that I can't get sharp focus with an adaptor. If you already have a Nikon mount Sigma 8mm get a Nikon d70 or better still the new d200. Then get Nikon Capture as it has the best CA removal tool (which the Sigma exhibits) that I know of.

Simon

Message posted by 360texas on November-12-2005 at 10:54am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Smooth,

We bought and use our Sigma 8mm on a Canon 20d.  Are you saying that my Sigma 8 is also usuable (full functions) on the 5d too ?

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on November-12-2005 at 12:26pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Hi Dave,

The Sigma 8mm you have is the same as mine. It is a Canon EOS mount, thus it will work 100% on "any" Canon Digital SLR and any Canon SLR with EOS mount. So yes, it will work correctly on a Canon 5D guaranteed. But it will produce full circular images not drum style. Much the same as what you got from your old Coolpix only 12.3MP though much better glass.

For the others thinking of using an adaptor to mount a Sigma 8mm fisheye (Nikon Mount) to your Canon EOS forget it! Buy a Canon EOS mount Sigma 8mm to start with.

Simon,

Nice to here you got the 5D, I also plan for the same (waiting for the after Christmas price drop) My Canon 10D is still going strong but would really love the Full Frame sensor as I have my Canon L Series lenses that I could get the most out of. Are you happy so far with your 5D?

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by simon on November-12-2005 at 6:21pm
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

Smooth,
Very happy with the 5d but disappointed that I'll probably have to buy a canon mount sigma 8mm! I use it mostly with the Canon 16-35 lens which is a great lens but does exhibit some light fall off with the bigger sensor when stopped down which doesn't concern me. CA can be also be an issue even with an L lens which is a slight disappointment. Nothing a client is ever likely to notice in reality but it would be good if Canon could add a CA adjustment to their software similar to Nikon Capture.

Simon

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register