Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Sun Java 1.5.0.5 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by 360texas on November-16-2005 at 4:31pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I just updated our Sun Java 1.5.0.5 for use with only FireFox

I noticed that when loading the first panorama downloaded a 600kb pano in about 43 seconds.

1.Sun splash screen was displayed for several seconds
2.my splash screen and loading bar started working
3.the panorama appeared

The second and all subsequent pano's loaded starting with my splash screen.  Maybe Sun jre loads once now and does not have to download again ... or what ever it does to initialize.

Not sure if it was my machine or not.. but I let the large panoramas autorotate and it got stuck about 2/3rds around.. and Firefox froze.  Even successfully closing it...... I could not start Fiefox.. it popuped a 'profile' box.  So I had to reboot... on close down XP reported that Firefox was still open and had to be forced to close.

I was testing Firefox and Sun JRE on this page

http://www.360texas.com/services/sr/nthdenton/index.htm

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by johnfl68 on November-16-2005 at 7:56pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
This has been the typical behavior for Java in Firefox, in that it loads upon the first use of Java, and then stays loaded until the browser is closed down. This is also true if you open new browser windows in Firefox, they all will not need to reload Java, until all the Firefox browser windows are closed.

John

Message posted by 360texas on November-16-2005 at 7:58pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Thank you Sir,

Thanks for the behavior confirmation. Seems fair..

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on November-16-2005 at 11:26pm
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Firefox is buggy. People talk it up and recommend it blah, blah. It has many problems and everytime I use it I find I and up having to shut it down and fire up Internet Explorer just so I can see a page or site correctly. I think Firefox still has a lot of the old horrid Netscrape in it.

I found Opera 5.0 better and now that it's free it's worth the download. But when it's all said and done Internet Explorer is still the most popular and apart from the security issue is still the best browser out there in my opinion. At least everything works correctly!

Sun Java like Apple Quicktime seem to release these "supposed" upgrades and things always seem to get worse before getting better. When it's all said and done why do they need to upgrade these anyway? Apart from trying to be all things to all people. All we ever wanted was a viewer for our panorama's that works properly first time everytime cross platform.

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by ajay on November-17-2005 at 4:29am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Any browser that can't read an internet standard like Java isn't worth its salt. I use Safari and IE without any problems at all, always am confused why folk use something that doesn't work?

-------------
aj

Message posted by 360texas on November-17-2005 at 10:09am
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I agree.  Why change to a new browser - you are just asking for viewing issues.  And then alot of those folks are asking "why doesnt this or that' work in the new browser ?  Gee whiz guys stay with a browser and java engine that works.

Yes, we use IE 6 w/ orginal MS Java Virtual Machine.  I only put Firefox on our 1 machine to confirm a few things for a client.  In the future, we are all probably going to migrate to IE 7 next spring when MS Vista is released.  Then I wonder IF all our java applets/ panoramas will be backwards compatible ?  Sheesh - yet another learning opportunity.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by 360texas on November-17-2005 at 1:40pm
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Speaking about Java Runtime Engines I think we have observed some MAX images size behavor for Sun Java 1.5.0.5.

Typically, I create pano's at 2500 x 5000 and resizing them to 1600 x  3200 and then converting them to .jpg's at 2 different compressions - one for 600kb and another for 1.2mb.

In an effort to determine HOW BIG is BIG,  Markus in Switzerland tried viewing his Mercedes 2500 x 5000 with IE 6 and Sun JRE and after small delay all he saw was the loading bar and splash and the loading halted.  I tried same with IE6 and Java Virtual Machine and it played very well.

Then we tried my 3200 x 1600 and both IE6 with JVM and Sun JRE the image were viewable.

we upped the image dimensions to 3600 x 1800 and both IE6 and JVM and Sun JRE were able to view the image.

So the breaking point for Sun JRE seems to be at or above 1800 x 3600 and below 2500 x 5000 last known test dimension size.

Have not tried this with TW java applet.

Why bother ?  Bigger cameras - More pixels - better detail.  With broadband,  bigger is always better.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by smooth on November-18-2005 at 12:21am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

I would just use a better viewer. Better in the sense it handles larger images. Immervisions G2 or Quicktime. Typically large Java applets aren't the best for display. The only exception to this I have found is the G2 Viewer from Immervision.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by ajay on November-18-2005 at 4:22am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
The G2 viewer is coooooool! If they can do it, why cant EP do something similar or license the technology and incorporate it into TW?? Now that would be good

-------------
aj

Message posted by marktold on November-18-2005 at 5:59am
View marktold's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by marktold Search   Visit marktold's Homepage www   Quote marktold Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
marktold
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-09-2003
348 Posts

I will defenitely give the G2 try in the next two weeks.

Latest test is 4000 x 2000 Pixels

http://www.panoramas.ch/panoramas/java.aspx?Film=buelach_small

Regards Markus

PS: Takes very long to load

-------------
Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register