Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Sigma 8mm lens Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Terry Nam on December-14-2005 at 6:32am
View Terry Nam's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Terry Nam Search   Quote Terry Nam Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Terry Nam
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
October-05-2002
110 Posts
Can any one tell me the difference between the sigma 8mm and the sigma DG 8mm? I am about to purchase a lens but cant define the difference.

-------------
Terry
Nikon D300(Sept08), Sigma 8mm, agnos short

Message posted by Thomas on December-14-2005 at 7:10am
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
Some Sigma lenses are designated "DG". What does this mean?

The DG designation applied to certain newer Sigma lenses (mostly wideangle and wide zoom type lenses) indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, especially at maximum aperture, compared to conventional fast wideangle lenses. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used. Also, the shorter focal lengths are desirable, because most digital SLR cameras have image sensors whose dimensions are considerably smaller than a 35mm negative (usually by a factor of 1.3X to 1.7X), making the lens angle of view equivalent to that of a longer lens on a 35mm cameras.      

...but I'm not aware of a test between an "old" lens and a "DG" lens. Maybe 50% marketing and 50% improvement.

Message posted by Terry Nam on December-14-2005 at 9:03am
View Terry Nam's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Terry Nam Search   Quote Terry Nam Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Terry Nam
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
October-05-2002
110 Posts

Thomas

Many thanks for your in depth reply. DG is the obvious choice then.

-------------
Terry
Nikon D300(Sept08), Sigma 8mm, agnos short

Message posted by andy05 on December-18-2005 at 4:40am
View andy05's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by andy05 Search   Quote andy05 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
andy05
Standard Member
Standard Member

December-18-2005
8 Posts

Oops - I've just bought a Sigmas 8mm D EX for use with a D70 - did i get the wrong one? (was having so many problems with my 10.5 Nikon I thought I try the Sigma!)

Andy

Message posted by 360texas on December-18-2005 at 3:16pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Andy,  the EX is a great lens.  We have been using it for a year now.  However, when shooting raw, in Photoshop CS2  Adobe Camera Raw you will need to set the Vignetting removal to 100%.

Dave 

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register