Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Pano display HDTV inside Sock drawer. Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by 360texas on December-19-2005 at 3:34pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Maybe a year or more ago I was discussing the new Hi Definition 16.9 monitors and how they might affect our panoramas.  Took me a while before I could do some testing (early Christmas).  While browsing through many electronic shops I did notice the increased number of notebook and desktop monitors that are displaying the 16:9 ratio imaging.

The question is.. how  best to adjust our panorama viewer dimensions to minimize barrel distortion or will we need an updated panorama applet to adjust to the new viewing area.

Please excuse my SOCK DRAWER.  I was using it to hold my older notebook 4:3 ratio screen .

The Sony LCD HDTV as shown here has a display resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels when used as a monitor.  The Sony laptop is displaying at 1024 x 768 pixels.

In image #1 you can see above the 4:3 image on the 16:9 ratio screen.  Notice how much screen area is NOT being used.

Image #2 you can see the 4:3 image stretched to fill the 16:9 ratio screen.  When this happens the barrel destortion is increased.

Any thoughts?  Comments?

Dave

Image #1

Image #2

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by johnfl68 on December-19-2005 at 10:14pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
I have played with this, more so as a carry over from video work in 16:9 format.

This format is here, with House lawmakers approving legislation early today that would complete the transition to all-digital television broadcasts by Feb. 17, 2009 (in the US). More and more televisions and computers will be migrating to this format. Independent film makers love this format, and it will become more and more commonplace every day.

As a carry over from video these would be my recommended output sizes for web:

1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
960 x 540 Half
640 x 360 Third
480 x 270 Quarter

What I tend to do is change the FOV of the image until it looks pleasing to the eye, with as little distortion as possible, looking at the output in a 16:9 aspect viewer.   Of course this takes longer as the Java FOV and the Quicktime FOV are not the same when output from Tourweaver (another bug fix item).

I have been mainly using Third and Quarter sizes for work, mainly because of my current camera resolution, and would consider using Half upon occasion. Full HD resolution would be in the future as higher resolution cameras arrive, internet connections become faster, and technologies advance.

My 2 cents.

John

Message posted by 360texas on December-20-2005 at 9:18am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I agree... All HDTV sets 26" and larger must have built in HDTV NTSC (PAL-SECAM) and HDTV tuners inside my March 2006.  Local TV broadcast click switch to only Digital from analog in 2009.  Yes that was announced in today's local newspaper.  After 2009.. you need a set top box to convert digital broadcasts to analog if you have an older TV.

My concern is that with new large 20"+ 16:9 monitors beginning to become common...  VR folks will be able to show their panoramas on them.  For example, many large business and universities are placing flat screens in hotel lobbies, rooms and we should properly fix the dimensions of our viewer applets to maximize the screens display.

Thanks for your input on the recommended applet dimensions and screen size.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on December-20-2005 at 11:22am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks John for the recommended dimensions.

What range FOV do you find with the least amount of distortion?

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by johnfl68 on December-20-2005 at 12:12pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Eagle:

In Panoweaver I've been using a FOV around 95 for Java (this is 60 for QTVR).

This changes slightly depending on if you have objects near or far in your images, and the distortions become more apparent if you have a mix of objects that have a wide range of distances.

Because you are taking a 3D world that the eye sees, and placing it on a flat surface that you view as a VR image. I do not think that you will ever be able to get rid of this artifact, but I think it is workable. Of course avoiding images with large depth changes will help.

John

Message posted by eagle on December-20-2005 at 1:14pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks. I normally use 90, so I guess I'm close.

r,
eagle

Message posted by Gen. Lee on December-20-2005 at 2:41pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I have had an issue with this myself. My client used my tours for their presentation at the auction. I think this is a 56 inch plasma screen. The tour looked ok but the aspect ratio is huge. Would this be a 16:9 ?

I think I need to design images specifically for this the next time. This time they just used the web pages from the tour.

General Lee

Message posted by 360texas on December-20-2005 at 3:22pm
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Yes, I agree.  I noticed the large "green void" on the right side of the screen plus 2 or 3 inches of blank unused area below your current applet size.   I would trial test on that screen until I got the applet full height.. then expand to the right until.. the image started looking too barrel distorted...

The image on my HD LCD expanded to full screen was a QTVR with code that says 99% Wide  91% height. (notice the gray qtvr tool bar on bottom)

Others similar that are near full screen are 900 w x 540 high.  The width allows for a small left and right border.  The height allows for the tool bar above the image.   These dimensions are close to Johns 960 x 540.

I wonder if you can mix and match code parameters like 99% width x 540 high ?

If I am using a notebook with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution,  the LCD monitor will try to emulate that resolution because I am using the notebooks 15 pin external monitor cable output signal to the the HD LCD. (Yes it has a 15pin input port on the backside)

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by johnfl68 on December-20-2005 at 4:46pm
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Gen. Lee:

Yes, the plasma display is a 16:9 aspect ratio. These displays unfortunatly come in a variety of Gen. Lee:

Yes, the plasma display is a 16:9 aspect ratio. These displays unfortunately come in a variety of actual pixel sizes, but should always be 16:9 ratio.

The maximum resolution for a HD device will always be 1920 x 1080 but what would be the most helpful would be for you to find out the screen output of the laptop connecting to the plasma display. Then you could code a webpage that is optimized for the laptop/plasma display.

360 Texas:

I checked in GoLive, you can chose pixel or percentage for both height and width independently for the Java or Quicktime window in a web page, so yes that is possible.

Some of the wide screen laptops are 1280 x 800 pixels for example. Many of the web authoring programs will let you set up the pixel size of the coding preview window, so you can play with what looks good at that resolution. Of course there are slight differences in browsers, laptops, and displays, but this should help get you close.

John

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register