Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Nikon d200 Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Europanocam on December-21-2005 at 2:35am
View Europanocam's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Europanocam Search   Visit Europanocam's Homepage www   Quote Europanocam Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Europanocam
Standard Member
Standard Member
Ireland
December-21-2005
1 Posts

Hi !!!!

I'm thinking about buying a new camera, what do you think about NIKON D200 ?

Message posted by 360texas on December-21-2005 at 10:25am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Maybe some forum member that use Nikons could help you.

Dave
Canon 350d and 20d

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on December-21-2005 at 10:37am
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
I have the prosumer D70 and love it. The D200 is a pro camera, so I'm sure it is a whole lot better.

But if you are using it as your dedicated pano camera, it might be overkill.

I use the D70 for stills only.   I have a coolpix camera for panos. I'm considering another D70 though to replace it.

Why a separate pano and still camera? I don't like having to remove the camera from the pano head and doing all sorts of tweaking every time I have to use it when I reinstall it. I install, optimize for nodal points, and keep them on the pano head. Also, while I have the pano camera on the head/tripod, I can walk around the property and take all sorts of stills with the other camera. No need to go back and forth between pano - still and back with the nodal point/level tweaking.

just my 2 cents.

You may want to go to nikonian.org also to check out the discussions there of owners ... pros, amateurs, and & general enthusiasts.

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by Gen. Lee on December-21-2005 at 10:17pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I also use the D70s for making my pano's and for still shots as well. It is a good camera. I know a proffessional portrait photographer who uses the D70. I asked why he uses the D70 and not the D2 series. He simply showed me some sample portraits "prints" that were just stunning. He said he could have 3 of these cameras, which he has for the price of one of the D2 series. He has been in the business for over 30 years.

When you move up the line to the D200 and D2 series you are getting a better built body and a "few" other features that would be important to some pro users. The D200 has a magnesium alloy body with environmental sealing. Good for use in harsh situations like humid or dusty locations. Also they shoot at 5fps to 8 fps. This good for news and sports photography.

The D200 has the same kind of CCD as the D70 except it is 10.2 megapixels and it uses newer image processing that comes with the D2 series.

The D70 is a very good camera for making pano's. The price vs features is what makes this camera the best buy.

My next camera purchase will be a Canon 5d or the Mark II. These two cameras have full frame sensors with no cropping factor. Higher megapixels and the undisputed quality of construction with full environmental sealing much better than the nikon. I want to be able to take my camera anywhere from the woods to a fishing boat. Creating interesting panos sometimes requires being in hot/cold, humid, dusty, or other situations like this. It is my opinion that Canon makes a better constructed camera and they are always on the cutting edge. Nikon seems to always be second at this.

I think studio and portrait photographers prefer Nikon where adventure photographers and others who do a lot of outdoor assignments prefer Canon.

The D200 will make great panos for sure. It will also serve you well with standard photography. It is a question of what you will do with the camera when not making panos.

If you want an affordable DSLR option for making pano's then the D70s will do quite nicely.

General Lee

Message posted by simon on December-22-2005 at 7:30am
View simon's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by simon Search   Visit simon's Homepage www   Quote simon Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
simon
Gold Member
Gold Member

January-14-2003
141 Posts

Agree the D70(s) is a great camera and by all accounts the D200 is even better. Really comes down to what else you want to do with the camera as the D70(s) are more than adequate for most panoramic work destined for the internet.

The 5d has no environmental seals, 1Ds II does!

Simon

Message posted by 360texas on December-22-2005 at 9:13am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

We bought Canon 350d and 20d a year ago.  One of the main issue is image sensor cleaning.  

The Nikon 70d uses a CCD sensor which maintains a small electrical static charge which DOES attract dust.  I read on the Nikonian Forum about Nikon owners learning how to keep their CCD sensors clean.

The Canon's uses a CMOS sensor which does not have the Nikon CCD dust collector issue.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register