Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Traveling on plane with pano gear Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by eagle on December-27-2005 at 4:44pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Hi,

I have my cameras and other gear in a hardshell camera case which will be my carry on luggage.

My question is how do you guys travel on the plane with a tripod? Can I take it with me as a carry on? Put it inside a luggage to be checked in?

Thanks,
eagle

Message posted by 360texas on December-27-2005 at 5:05pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

We take the cameras, lenses and other expensive equipment on board in a soft back pack as carry on bag that can fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.  Yes, when going through security, expect then to look and test everything.  They often ask me to turn the camera on and take a photo (easily erased later).

Our two tripods and disassembled pan heads go in our small check in baggage along with our skin diving equipment (flippers, mask, snorkle, wetsuits, couple of emergency 6 packs of Dos XX's, bottled water, sun cream, small compass, whistle, water tight pouches and extra cookies).

Our flights are usually 2 hour duration and are non-stop (except for the destination --> Mexico).

Done this way for 5 years now without issue.

Be sure to send us a post card when you get there.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by eagle on December-27-2005 at 5:35pm
View eagle's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by eagle Search   Quote eagle Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks Dave.

With the post 9/11, we can't lock our luggage anymore. That concerns me since thefts was a big problem at various airports in the past, e.g., airport handlers with master keys rummaging through suitcases stealing valuables. Now that you cannot lock your luggage, I wonder if the problem has returned.

Mahalo no.

r,
eagle

Message posted by johnfl68 on December-27-2005 at 7:57pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Actually, you can lock your luggage.

You need to look for "TSA Certified" locks at your local luggage store or online. These locks can lock your luggage, and TSA officials can open them with special keys in the event that they need to. Only TSA officials have these keys, other baggage handlers do not. If you get asked at the ticket counter, tell them that they are TSA locks and do not need to be removed. I have actually had counter staff that did not know about these locks.

I have done this since 9-11 without incident, although the more valuable items always go with me as carry on.

John

Message posted by eagle on December-27-2005 at 10:52pm
eagle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

April-14-2004
382 Posts
Thanks John.

r,
eagle

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register