Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: DLSR vs. Coolpix Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by tincho on December-28-2005 at 11:01pm
View tincho's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tincho Search   Quote tincho Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tincho
Standard Member
Standard Member
Argentina
December-26-2005
7 Posts
HI

I'm debating getting a DSLR (in particular the D70) vs. a high end point and shoot style camera (in my case the Coolpix 8700) and would appreciate your comments on the advantages of one format vs. the other.
I'm want to do real estate virtual tours and Im a beginner photographer.

Thanks!!!!! any help would be great!!!!!!

tincho

Message posted by Gen. Lee on December-29-2005 at 12:48am
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

Hi Tincho,

Now the journey begins......this is a road many have traveled. And many here are still traveling.

I use the the D70s and it is a great camera. Others use the Canon 20D. Either camera will be a good choice. Just decide if you want to buy Nikon or Canon.

I think the Sigma 8mm would be the best lens to choose .

You could go the Coolpix route but as you become more experienced you will just be wishing you had a DSLR.

With a DSLR you can take high quality images that will make very good panos. If you have non real easte customer that wants some full screen panos or need some stills to go with the pano then you are ready to go.

For the cheaper real estate panos you can make panos just as fast and much better than the competition using the one shot lens stuff and the FC-E9 users.

Pretty soon you will be wanting a Mark II like the rest of us....LOL

I have bothe a D70s+Nikkor 10.5 and a Coolpix 5000+FC-E8. The Coolpix is a great little camera and makes great panos. BUT I hardly ever use the Coolpix because my D70 can do ANYTHING I need it to do. Once you become familiar with your camera and learn a little about photograpy....meaning exposure,bracketing, HDR, and so forth you will find that a DSLR is just a much more powerful tool.

I would not recommend the Nikor 10.5 as a beginner lens. It is a very good lens but requires a little more skill to shoot with and it is more time consuming in post production.

In realeaste tours time is money and you will need to shoot in a timely mannor and have limited post processing if you want to make any money.

Good luck

General Lee

Message posted by smooth on December-29-2005 at 12:49am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

Tincho,

If you plan only ever to do cheap real estate work then the Coolpix will be fine. But if you have the slightest inkling that you will want to do full screen work with clarity and learn photography then a DSLR will be your best bet.

For ease of use the Canon 350D and Sigma 8mm Fisheye is the easiest and best bang for your buck. (4 shots in rotation Minimum) The D70s and Sigma 8mm Fisheye (4 shots in rotation Minimum) The D70s and Nikkor 10.5mm (better lens) Fisheye (6+1 minimum).

Coolpix 8700 + FC-E9 (3 shots in rotation minimum) very soft lens and best suited to those learning and not expecting high quality full screen results.

If it was me with a low budget I would opt for the Canon 350D and Sigma 8mm Fisheye. Because you will need to learn the manual settings of the Coolpix to get the optimal results anyway and you will, like most others here on the forum grow out of it very fast and wish you went DSLR in the first place.

Regards, Smooth

Message posted by 360texas on December-29-2005 at 9:23am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I agree.  We use a Canon 350d and Sigma 8 as a backup camera.  We also take singles images with it using a Canon 10 -22mm.

Our primary panorama camera is a Canon 20d and the Sigma 8.  Yes we display full screen imaging (for broadband connections) in different formats like java, qtvr and flash.

I also agree that the Nikon d70 with the Nikkor 10.5 is a bit more work but definately better final quality imaging.

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by tincho on December-29-2005 at 12:24pm
View tincho's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by tincho Search   Quote tincho Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
tincho
Standard Member
Standard Member
Argentina
December-26-2005
7 Posts
Thanks guys for the advise!!!!!!
I think... I'm going to get the 350d (and save some $!!) , Sigma 8mm F4 EX DG Fisheye , MrotatorTCPShort , can you guys recommend me a tripod... for this kit.

thanks!! appreciate it.

Message posted by pixelator on December-29-2005 at 7:37pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

I am using the same kit: 350D (Rebel XT), Sigma 8mm fisheye, Manfrotto 3021 tri-pod.  Don't forget to get a quick tilt head leveler.  This is a must ! When ordering your tri-pod and quick tilt leveler go ahead and get a spirit level that will fit in the hot shoe.  Level is a big key for shooting panos.

Good Luck and happy shooting,

Pixel

Message posted by tincho on December-30-2005 at 12:14am
tincho
Standard Member
Standard Member
Argentina
December-26-2005
7 Posts
Thanks!!!!! and Happy new year!!!!!!

Message posted by Thomas on December-30-2005 at 1:46pm
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
I use the Manfrotto 755 MDeVe, the leveler is "incorporated" in the center column. There is also a smaller version, the Manfrotto MA 756B MDeVe.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register