Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: CRT or Digital LCD Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by pixelator on December-29-2005 at 8:06pm
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

I have received on this forum some of the greatest advice as what to purchase, thank you.  I am know getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a new Dell XPS 600 that offers duel dvi out.  I will be running duel monitors and this is where the question comes, do I opt for digital LCD's or CRT's.

Thanks and look forward to seeing what the delayed santa will bring.

Pixel

Message posted by 360texas on December-29-2005 at 8:29pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

Hmmm I would think that you might consider a p4 with Hyper Threading and well what ever its called .. a cpu that has a 800 mhz front side bus and HT

2 reasons.  It will make it compatible with 3rd quarter 06 release of MS Vista O/s.  You might also take a look at your graphic card compatibility with Vista /Os.  When you visit Microsoft.. search on Vista compatibility requirements.

Also here in the US.. there has become an awareness of E-Cycling.  Or better put.. what do you do with our old computer and recycling.

Some options:

Dell and Gateway will recyle your hardware for free if you buy a new computer from them.

Your CRT tube contains almost 2 lbs of lead.. which is hazardeous to the environment.. which makes a pair of LCD look very favorable.

Sources say that Americans families dispose of 85 electronic elements per year on the average.

The organization called 'Goodwill Industries' will accept individual personal computers with no disposal fee.

Other companies will accept and dispose of your old computer for a small fee.

The City of Fort Worth will accept televisions for disposal for a fee based on weight.

Another enterprise called http://www.1800gotjunk.com will pick up all electronics for free and deliver them to companies that will recycle or organizations that will reuse them.

Just a thought about the matter

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by johnfl68 on December-29-2005 at 11:00pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Where CRT comes into play the most these days is Black Level - if you are working on images in which most of the image content is black or close to black.

I have the Pantone ColorVision Spider2 for monitor calibration. I have two Sony GDM-400PS CRT monitors, and it took a little bit of work to calibrate them to desired output, but the result was nice.

One of the Sonys died on me recently and I got a NEC AccuSync LCD92V to replace it. When I ran the calibration on it, it was almost dead on out of the box. Now these are not the cheap LCD's, nor are they the top of the line. They are about mid price, ($310) and don't have the digital inputs, just D-sub analog.

In using the LCD displays now for a while, the color and brightness changes slightly when you are off axis, and the black is not quite as black as I would like, but the color representation is very good.

I feel that I have a good sense of the slight limitations of the mid priced LCD's versus CRT's, in that I do not think I would buy another CRT at this time.

I do not think that CRT's are going to have much more of a life in the future, as LCD costs come down and quality goes up. Pretty much everything that I have looked at side by side, CRT to LCD looks the same. The last CRTs that I purchased (with the exception of the Sonys) I was not happy with the performance, and unfortunately I think that this is becoming the trend in CRTs.

If looking at LCD, you want to look for 15ms response time or lower, this is how fast the display updates. For photo work this is not as much a concern, but if you look at video on LCD, the eye starts to pick up refresh artifacts on displays with response time more than 15ms. Also you want a 500:1 contrast ratio or greater. Look at the viewing angle specs, 140 degrees(+ and -70) or greater. Analog or digital input at this point is more dependent on what your computer has.

John

Message posted by smooth on December-30-2005 at 12:30am
View smooth's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by smooth Search   Visit smooth's Homepage www   Quote smooth Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
smooth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Australia
November-23-2002
5401 Posts

CRT for me all the way. I dumped my LCD's. Picture viewing is like Coca Cola it's just better with glass. I use LG Flatron's pure flat glass monitors. Pantone Color Vision Spider 2 and a Gamma of 2.2

I only wish I could control what the viewers looking were using!

Regards, Smooth 

Message posted by pixelator on December-30-2005 at 7:14am
View pixelator's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by pixelator Search   Visit pixelator's Homepage www   Quote pixelator Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

Again this forum rises to the top   Thanks guys for all the input.
Dave, Dell is offering a duel processor these days, Pentium D with duel core tech (3.0 GHz 800 FSB) the graphic card is the 256 nvidia 7800 GTX.  I will do more research on compatibility with the 3rd quarter release of vista.  As far as recycle a friend of mine wants to purchase my old unit.  I will be running system restore disk and cleaning off the hard drive once I migrate.

John, excellent info on what to look for in a LCD.  The 19" Dell I have been looking at can be found here

Smooth,  Well mate it is like drinking a cold beer out of a frosty mug here in North Carolina on a hot summer day   I will be looking at the LG monitor techs and specs that you described.  I too wish for more control over what the viewers looking were using.

Thanks again for all the input and wish all of you a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Pixel

Message posted by sonoran on December-30-2005 at 8:28pm
View sonoran's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by sonoran Search   Quote sonoran Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
sonoran
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-05-2005
11 Posts

Pixel, If you have been looking at Dell, check out the Planar line of monitors. I have two of there 19 inch models and they are great. Planar started out providing LCD moitors to the Medical profession for their Radiology equipment and the like.

Planar has a three year delivered to your door in two day warranty policy. If you buy at Dell at the right time you can get free shipping. Here is the link for specs from Planar http://www.planar.com/Products/flatpanel_monitors/pl_flatpanel/PL1910M.cfm

Message posted by pixelator on December-30-2005 at 9:30pm
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts
thanks sonoran, i'll check it out.  happy hour right now though

Message posted by VT360 on January-03-2006 at 10:48am
View VT360's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by VT360 Search   Quote VT360 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
VT360
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

January-04-2003
751 Posts

pixel,

while the 1905fp is an awsome looking lcd (i really really like the design...probably my favorite design outthere) the response time is 16ms or 20 ms. that means there are some ghosting effects while looking at video or dvds movies. you need something 8ms or better.

the 1905fp is very tempting cuz it would look nice on any desk for me, but the 16ms just kills it.

so dell got a new 19 inch that is 8ms and runs for about 260 dollars.

i 've not seen any reviews on dells 19 inch 8ms so far.

but there's a 3ms Viewsonic..thats right 3ms - world fastest as they claim as of this writing. the viewsonic is about 50 dollars more and you're getting the very very best as of now. the viewsonic has a nice design too.

the The Planar 19 PL1910M is 20ms...too slow for me.

http://www.planar.com/Products/flatpanel_monitors/pl_flatpanel/PL1910M.cfm

dave check out

the xps 600 is a good buy! that thing is a monster of a pc...many use it for gaming.

dual core is kicking azzz. i like the xps 400 and the 200 as well.

Message posted by pixelator on January-05-2006 at 4:23pm
pixelator
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
April-21-2005
502 Posts

sonoran and vt360 checked out the planar and viewsonic, I now have a new dilemma dell 30" widescreen do it all on one monitor.  However, I am reasearching response time and unable to find right now.  Thought I would share my update on monitor shopping, 600xps is in the shopping cart ready to go though.

Regards, Pixel

Message posted by 360texas on January-05-2006 at 4:35pm
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

I would think that you push the on button.. and before you can sit down at the key board it would be working quite well.

I know our 26" HDTV/ monitor Sony has a 19ms start up time.  Is this the "response time" you are referring to?

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register