Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: DVD/Plasma Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ajay on February-15-2006 at 4:39am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Hi/Help!!!

I am now looking to be able to put tours on to DVD to create a series of panoramas which move automatically from one to the next, so that my clients can display them on a plasma screen in their showrooms without them having to do anything, in effect an ongoing movie changing automatically from one scene to the next (similar to the automode in TW).
Second question relates to image quality. As the images will be displayed on a 45" plasma screen (16:9) any thoughts on image resolution/final image size, so that projected image quality on a 45" screen is acceptable?
Had a quick look at DVD pro which might be part of the answear, but any help appreciated as I need to answer my customers request asap.

Many thanks
Alan

-------------
aj

Message posted by Pokko on February-15-2006 at 7:38am
View Pokko's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Pokko Search   Visit Pokko's Homepage www   Quote Pokko Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Pokko
Standard Member
Standard Member
Netherlands
November-21-2005
33 Posts
If they are shown in a browser window it could be done with a lil flash app, just a loader, wich loads the movies on a timed base.

Resolutionwise I can't help ya out. I'm just starting to figure out all these things myself.

Message posted by Gen. Lee on February-15-2006 at 10:43pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

I have had my panos displayed in the same mannor except on a 52" plasama display.

The 16:9 aspect ratio will really stretch the image horizontally.

If you are feeling spunky read my post on this subject located here
http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=1804&PagePosition=1

You need to understand how the image is effected by aspect ratio in relation to your viewer window size.

In this case you NEED to know two things.
1. The aspect ratio of the display device
2. The screen resolution that will be used on the display device.

This is a photo of a 568 x 400 viewer window on a 52" plasma screen at 16:9
This is an explorer browser window displaying a web page. Look at the tool bar and notice how much horizontal stretching is going on. I am not sure if you can tell but the the pano was stretched horizontally by about 20%. I used a default FOV of 100 and that really made the image seem even more distorted.

http://northwestflorida.com/360/monitor_2_0605.jpg

You are going to have to change the viewer size to compensate for the aspect ratio or your pano will be distorted horizontally.

General Lee

Message posted by ajay on February-16-2006 at 4:38am
View ajay's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ajay Search   Visit ajay's Homepage www   Quote ajay Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ajay
Gold Member
Gold Member

November-09-2004
167 Posts
Thanks Gen Lee - think I get what you mean. Basically aspect ratio of plasma should be the controling factor in setting up the viewing screen therefore rather than say 600x400, set at 600x338? with a fov of about 100?

Regarding image quality, if we normally set image size to a factor of circa 3 times the viewer size for a 600x400 viewer, final image would be something around 2000x1000. Would an image of this size stand up to projection on a large screen plasma without too much pixilation? Or should I consider a final image size say 6000x3000. Must admit to being confused about this!
Advice much appreciated.
Alan

-------------
aj

Message posted by 360texas on February-16-2006 at 10:19am
View 360texas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by 360texas Search   Visit 360texas's Homepage www   Quote 360texas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
360texas
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United States
June-12-2002
2240 Posts

About 3 or 4 years ago I did some research on the image size versus the viewer window size.  I was looking a the "Master" Prof Dersch author of the ptviewer.jar [ver 2.5].  The highest quality parameter specified was 3.

ALL of his images that were viewed were sharp, clear, no rippling.  I asked my self why he was able to get such great rendering when mine (up to that point) were terrible.  Also the images were generally taken with a 3.34 mega pixel camera.

I found that there was indeed a dimensional relationship between his image and the viewer.  On the average of 10 of Professor Derschs web page dispalys  the viewer height was about 30 - 35 % smaller than the actual image height.  So if your image height was 1200 pixels high, the viewer appeared [to me] best rendered at 300 pixels high.  Hence, the 3x rule.

It is 4 years later now and ptviewer is now at version 2.7 and 2.8.  Few rendering modifications have been added to the viewer such as Lanscros algorithm which allows quality parameter of 4 and 5.   I will admit that the 3x rule might not apply now, because cameras are now 6 , 8 and 12 mega pixel flavors.  Also, most of the forum members now are displaying their work  2/3 screen and 'FULL Screen'.

The 3x rule might still apply if you are using a 3 megapixel camera.

Hope this helps

Dave

-------------
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com

Message posted by Gen. Lee on February-16-2006 at 1:37pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

ajay,

A 16:9 aspect ratio will stretch the image horizontally. The screen resolution will also effect this somewhat becuase it may change the "screen aspect ratio". Pick a screen aspect ratio of .75 and compensate for the monitors aspect ratio and it should be fine.

So you should make the image closer to square so that it appears rectangular on the plasma screen. This will look distorted on 4:3 monitor by being taller than wide. But look normal on the plasma.

For full screen dispay especially on a plasma display you need to have at least a 4000 x 2000 image. 5000 x 2500 would be better. Since the screen is so large you will want the pano to be much larger as well. So I would think a viewer window size of at least 800 or 1000 would be needed. Otherwise the image will take up a small portion of the screen like you saw in my image I posted above. I would also make the image be centered on the screen so the extra screen width is even on both sides.

General Lee

Message posted by johnfl68 on February-17-2006 at 9:04pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
Some information to add to this:

Almost all HD plasma screens are going to be 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 resolution.

DVD players are 640 x 480 NTSC (or 768 x 576 PAL and SECAM depending on your country) redardless of what they are outputting to.

There are some DVD/Media Players that will play WMV files, Windows Media files can be created in HD format, and played back at the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. Also MPEG-4 is another format that also works the same on some players.

John

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register