Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Warning, Beware of SmartDraw Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by ciconia on February-23-2006 at 3:35am
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi, everybody,

be carefull with the floorplan drawing software SmartDraw, which is recommended by Easypano and offered through a link on the Easypano Website. I downloaded and installed the trial yesterday. When I started my PC this morning, a SmartDraw tutorial with many adverts opened fullscreen. No way to close it. It took me some time to get rid of the thing, I uninstalled the software, blocked its internet access via my firewall, but it still sits somewhere in my registry, certain dll files cannot be deleted. Dont touch SmartDraw, it will cause you problems. I am normally carefull with downloading trials, but as the link came from Easypano I thought I could trust it.

Regards

Holger

-------------
Holger Schulz, photoaround
http://www.photoaround.de

Message posted by Thomas on February-23-2006 at 3:49am
View Thomas's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Thomas Search   Visit Thomas's Homepage www   Quote Thomas Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Thomas
Gold Member
Gold Member

May-18-2002
157 Posts
Hallo Holger,

on Windows you can use the combination of ALT + F4 to close the active program immediately.

Beside that you should have installed a good firewall (like ZoneAlarm, works very good) to control all the network traffic on your computer.

Thomas

Message posted by ciconia on February-23-2006 at 4:11am
View ciconia's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by ciconia Search   Visit ciconia's Homepage www   Quote ciconia Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi, Thomas,

I have a firewall installed, and it works OK. But I configured it to allow SmartDraw access to the internet, because the program needs this to dynamically download symbols for floorplans from the internet. Should not have done this. My mistake to think, that Easypano would check carefully before recommending third party software on their website.

Regards

Holger

-------------

Message posted by bentech on February-23-2006 at 9:08am
View bentech's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by bentech Search   Visit bentech's Homepage www   Quote bentech Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
bentech
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-03-2006
10 Posts

It's weird that you had those problems.  About a month ago, I downloade the demo, installed it,  played with it for a while and uninstalled it... No problems at all!  I wounder what could cause those problems.

-------------
Bentech
www.panomedia.ca

Message posted by ciconia on February-23-2006 at 10:07am
ciconia
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
October-07-2003
60 Posts

Hi, bentech,

they must have changed the demo since then. I cannot imagine any other reason why suddenly, without any interference from my side, SmartDraw opened and on top of it a fullscreen advert of SmartDraw appeared on my monitor screen. The close button on the top right of the window was disabled. The advert had a button which said something like "Try our new templates ...". Probably I could have pressed this button and this would have solved my problem, but I dont like to be forced by adverts into any action. I uninstalled the software, but certain files could not be removed. Only after restarting my machine I could get rid of the garbage which was left by SmartDraw.

Holger

-------------

Message posted by johnfl68 on February-23-2006 at 11:15am
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
I recently downloaded the SmartDraw demo, and had a pop up window come up about every 15 minutes begging me to buy SmartDraw.

After about the 4th time, they lost me as a customer and I uninstalled the software right then.

John

Message posted by mediaPix on February-23-2006 at 12:21pm
View mediaPix's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by mediaPix Search   Visit mediaPix's Homepage www   Quote mediaPix Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
mediaPix
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
June-19-2004
69 Posts

Has anyone used an alternative to SmartDraw? If so, who, what, where!!

I.ve been thinking of linking tours with FP's for a while but have never found anything that can be produced quickly.

-------------

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8mm, Agnos MrotatorTShort, Photoshop CS, Panoweaver 3 & 4

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register