Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver
       Forum Search Results

Subject Topic: Stitching 1 hemi for print use Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Wide-Eyes on February-26-2006 at 11:47am
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi all - and perhaps especially Rudders UK

I want to use my fish eye lense to take a wide angle picture I have to use for a flyer I am making for my girl friends hair saloon. I stitch the picture with panoweaver 3 and it looks really great. BUT it is only 72dpi. Not very suitable for a print job.

Anyone know if I can change the settings in panoweaver 3 so it is not 72dpi??

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve

Message posted by johnfl68 on February-26-2006 at 1:42pm
View johnfl68's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by johnfl68 Search   Visit johnfl68's Homepage www   Quote johnfl68 Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
johnfl68
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-27-2005
70 Posts
It really shouldn't matter to the software that you are using to do the layout for print. As long as you use a large image file as the origninal, it should look fine.

The 72 is acutally pixels per inch, which is not exactly the same as dots per inch (dpi).

From Wikipedia:

A digital image captured by a scanner or digital camera has no inherent "DPI" resolution until it comes time to print the image (and even then, a more accurate measurement of image resolution is pixels per inch); for example, a 1000 x 1000-pixel image could be printed at 44 inches and 250 pixels per inch, or at 10 x 10 inches and 100 pixels per inch. Digital images contain some number of pixels; the size at which they are printed is relatively arbitrary. When someone asks for a "300 DPI image", they may be expecting an image with 300 pixels per inch of printed output; unless the size of the printed output is known beforehand, the measurement is meaningless. A more complete specification would include the desired print size in addition to the number of desired pixels per inch. A yet more complete specification would also include the DPI capability of the printer that will be used to print the image; if the printer is only capable of faithfully reproducing 100 pixels per inch, there is no reason to use a higher-resolution image.

John

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on February-26-2006 at 1:58pm
View Wide-Eyes's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Wide-Eyes Search   Visit Wide-Eyes's Homepage www   Quote Wide-Eyes Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi John

Thank you for clearing that for me. I helped a lot, so I can finish the flyer.

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

Message posted by RuddersUK on February-26-2006 at 2:22pm
View RuddersUK's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by RuddersUK Search   Visit RuddersUK's Homepage www   Quote RuddersUK Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
RuddersUK
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
July-16-2004
372 Posts
Hi Morten

If its any easier for you, work it out as:

1000 x 1000 pixels = 85mm x 85mm (approx @ 300 dpi)

So, say you have a pano 6000 x 3000, that will give you a very good quality print approx 50 cm x 25cm (@300dpi)

If you use photoshop just open your pano then go to image size - click OFF resample image, then put resolution to 300 pixels/inch. this will resize the pano suitable for print.
then you can mess around with the size in mm/cm etc to the suitable size you require.

If you dont have photoshop you can still use the above to work out the approx size of it on your leaflet layout.

Some people think that as modern inkjet printers print up to 5760 etc dpi that the need to have their image this size. This is not the case. for everyday or even professional printing, 300dpi will be plenty for full colour images.

Mono images such as lineart/clipart & text should be 600dpi for best results on small print.

If you wish to print images large then you can lower the resolution, in turn this will increase the size of the image. For example we will print large posters / canvases with image resolutions of 200 dpi as they are more likely to be viewed from a distance so dont need to be so high res.

Hope this helps.
Regards

Message posted by Wide-Eyes on February-26-2006 at 3:11pm
Wide-Eyes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-03-2005
569 Posts

Hi Rudders

This helped a lot.

I do have photoshop, and I even have a neat little program for resizing.

Thanks for the input

-------------
Best regards

Morten Andersen

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register