Go Shopping Cart Site Map User Panel and Admin English Home

Home > Easypano Forum    Easypano Forum has been upgraded.

Easypano Forum

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Panoweaver

Subject Topic: Quality Improvement Helps Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by atomicmak on February-27-2006 at 1:57am
View atomicmak's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by atomicmak Search   Visit atomicmak's Homepage www   Quote atomicmak Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
atomicmak
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
November-19-2005
54 Posts
Friends,

was using the Sigma 8mm, Nikon D100, Panoweaver since last four to six months.

found it does not shoot good sharper images with infinity settings.

was thinking if someone can post a detailed technical specs about difference between

Sigma 8mm | VS | Nikkor 10.5 ED 2.8

i have heared somewhere that 2.8 shoot images with more details.

if you see my pano's it has some way the hotel lights burned out which should not actually.

but due to having low light sources i have to reduce aperture and extend Exposure as sigma only support F4.

i think 2.8 ED will add more depth and reduce those light burn problem.

Awaiting for Experts Notes.

-------------
Regards
mak
www.vox360.in

Message posted by Gen. Lee on March-04-2006 at 2:40pm
View Gen. Lee's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by Gen. Lee Search   Quote Gen. Lee Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
Gen. Lee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

May-15-2005
372 Posts

The light burn out has nothing to do with the lens. That is an exposure problem.  Look up "HDR" or "photomatrix". The "dynamic range" is being exceded beyond the capability of your cameras sensor.

The Sigma is a very good lens and will produce outstanding panos.

The Nikkor 10.5 is a better lens and can be shot wide open at f2.5 and still produce very crisp images.

I use the Nikkor 10.5. I never shoot it wide open because it is not necessary. Every lens has a sweet spot and the Nikkors is from f5.6 to f8. The Sigma is about the same in sweet spot

On low light interior shots use shutter speed and NOT aperture to control exposre. You can up the ISO to about 600 without noticable artifact. This will allow you to keep shutter speed above 1/15. Long exposures will produce artifact in low light so to avoid this up the ISO so you can use a faster shutter speed.

I have read that the Sigma does not do well when shot wide open. Many use a constant aperture of F8 and control exposre with shutter speed.

And you shoud be shooting at infintiy. DO NOT use auto focus. The  hyperfocal distance of the Sigma is only about 2 or 3 feet. So you will not need to focus unless you are shooting inside of 2 feet. IF you are most likly only one object in your scene will be that close and you have to let that area be a little out of focus in order to have the rest of the scene in focus.

You should also check your shooting menu for the auto settings such as sharpening and noise reduction. These settings can cause quality problems at times. Turn all this off if you can and do this stuff in post production.

If you can shoot raw as this will produce the best source image. But it is not necessary as you can shoot at fine or the highest setting and still have great images. The white balance will be an issue here so be sure to set that approapiatly by measureing or using one of the white balance settings appropiate for your scene.

General Lee

Message posted by atomicmak on March-05-2006 at 1:10pm
View atomicmak's Profile Profile   Search for other posts by atomicmak Search   Visit atomicmak's Homepage www   Quote atomicmak Quote   Send Private Message Send Msg  
atomicmak
Standard Member
Standard Member
India
November-19-2005
54 Posts

thanks General Lee

i have read all your messages and i think i should give it try to shoot at F8 with higher ISO.

still question is to lower the burned light and keep environment lighten as actual what my eyes can see.

i'll give it go to test and post the result by next week as one of my people has gone out for shooting for a property. so as soon as he comes in i'll try and post results.

thanks a lot.

-------------
Regards
mak
www.vox360.in

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register